HP Forums

Full Version: WP 34S: Is it becoming a sought-after classic RPN machine?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have a look to this TAS link.

I think the asking price is right.
I spent more than 70 Euros (including a small donation to the creators team) to build mine, and I had to build my own programmers cable as I have joined too late to this party to be able to get a HP original one.

I like the nice advert of the 34S feature's summary from this seller (whoever (s)he is):

There is simply no other calculator offering so much mathematical power and accuracy+precision in such an small&light pocket size.

If you are looking for this, you know what it is. Easily the most powerful non-graphing scientific calculator on the market, it has been expanded with all kinds of functions, distributions and constants for all your mathematical needs.

Used (with love and care) just for 3 months.
Reason to sell: I will miss it, but I need cash ASAP.

Clock crystal installed!

It comes with:
USB PROGRAMMING CABLE for firmware upgrades and communication.
Original HP30B slip-in case.
Spare keyboard stickers included! though my guess is you will never need them, taking into account the dedication and quality of the DIY job :0)

Flashed V3.3T3844 firmware.

Some of the features:
+ Selectable 4-level or 8-level RPN Stack Size.
+ Hundreds of customizable registers.
+ Euler’s Beta and Riemann’s Zeta functions, Bernoulli and Fibonacci
numbers, Lambert’s W, the error function, and the Chebyshev, Hermite,
Laguerre, and Legendre orthogonal polynomials (no more need to carry
heavy printed tables).
+ Many statistical distributions and their inverses: Poisson, Binomial,
Geometric, Cauchy-Lorentz, Exponential, Logistic, Weibull, Lognormal,
and Gaussian.
+ Programmable sums and products, first and second derivatives, solving
quadratic equations for real and complex roots.
+ Testing for primality.
+ Integer computing in fifteen bases from binary to hexadecimal.
+ Financial operations such as mean rate of return and margin
calculations.
+ 88 conversions, mainly from old Imperial to universal SI units and
vice versa.
+ 50 fundamental physical constants as accurate as used today by
national standards institutes such as NIST or PTB, plus a selection of
important constants from mathematics, astronomy, and surveying.
+ Battery-fail-safe on-board backup memory.
+ Greek and extended Latin letters covering the languages of almost half
of the world’s population (upper and lower case in two font sizes), plus
mathematical symbols.
With the really HP cable, I think too it is a good price, as an example my first
wp34s with out real cable, cost me, from Eric, with incomes taxes in France, the
double !
For my second one about 95 euros from Barcelone, but I Have do put myselve the
adhesive overlay.

Yes a good price I seem it is.
It truly seems an interesting offer. Thank Jebem for sharing this information.
Umm... Let's see, I've got mine on my desk at work, so I just need to find a good exc... I mean convince my wife I need a second WP34s. You know, falling asleep to the TV has been shown to be really bad for your health, same with tablets; a second WP34s is the ultimate tool to relax before bedtime, and start counting sheep in base 7.
(03-31-2016 11:14 AM)ggauny@live.fr Wrote: [ -> ]With the really HP cable, I think too it is a good price ...

The cable is not from HP. Those cables were RS-232, this one is homemade USB.

I still have a new 30b and a set of stickers ready for conversion for when the price gets higher. Smile

Dave
(03-31-2016 03:34 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote: [ -> ]The cable is not from HP. Those cables were RS-232, this one is homemade USB.

... he doesn't state neither HPmade, nor homemade. I am going to ask the seller about it. Just curious.
(03-31-2016 03:39 PM)Luigi Vampa Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-31-2016 03:34 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote: [ -> ]The cable is not from HP. Those cables were RS-232, this one is homemade USB.

... he doesn't state neither HPmade, nor homemade. I am going to ask the seller about it. Just curious.

The fact is, the HP cables were RS-232. So if it's USB then it's not HP. And if it's not HP, then it was made at home.

Dave
(03-31-2016 03:52 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-31-2016 03:39 PM)Luigi Vampa Wrote: [ -> ]... he doesn't state neither HPmade, nor homemade. I am going to ask the seller about it. Just curious.
The fact is, the HP cables were RS-232. So if it's USB then it's not HP. And if it's not HP, then it was made at home.
Dave

The seller has kindly and promptly answered "it is not a homemade cable, it is an OEM FTDI cable."
(03-31-2016 04:22 PM)Luigi Vampa Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-31-2016 03:52 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote: [ -> ]The fact is, the HP cables were RS-232. So if it's USB then it's not HP. And if it's not HP, then it was made at home.
Dave

The seller has kindly and promptly answered "it is not a homemade cable, it is an OEM FTDI cable."

... with a homemade plug on the end. Maybe. The point is that it's not HP.

Dave
Last week, the WP43s wasn't worth that €100.
Tomorrow we'll see whether it is worth €73.
It seems interesting to follow up the 'market price' of this DIY wonder calculator. Just curious.
Well, it went don to just 40 Euros + 21 Euros s&h!

How low can it get?
I spend much more to have mine built.

I think the seller needs to advertise it in eBay.uk or even better, in ebay.com, to have a broader buyers universe.
I even spent more for my 34s on the basis of an HP-20b, without the cable. So, imho the new opening price is fair. S&h from Spain seems to be the crucial part of the seller's cost calculation.
That auction reached up to €63.5, S&H included. Such low price is close to some Casio models :./
Reference URL's