HP Forums

Full Version: Incorrect solving of an equation with complex numbers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone! On the image, it seems that the first equation is solved incorrectly. The second one has a correct answer, though it is identical except I moved a term to the left side... And more interesting, if I change one coefficient, an equation is solved correctly in both cases (third and fourth equations). Is it a bug, or am I missing something?
(02-15-2016 08:48 PM)Oleksandr Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone! On the image, it seems that the first equation is solved incorrectly. The second one has a correct answer, though it is identical except I moved a term to the left side... And more interesting, if I change one coefficient, an equation is solved correctly in both cases (third and fourth equations). Is it a bug, or am I missing something?

It looks to me as though all 4 solutions are correct. The first two look different but if you multiply top and bottom of the first answer by 1+2i it becomes the second answer.

Nigel (UK)
You are absolutely right, I did not notice that in the first answer i is in the denominator. I should never do any math after full workday in the evening. Thank you Nigel Smile
Reference URL's