HP Forums

Full Version: How to open a 17bii+ Silver?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The subject tells the story. Alas, the old forum pictures are gone, and the old texts alone don't contain sufficient information AFAICS. Does anybody here know how to open such a model without destroying it? Thanks in advance.

d:-?
Can't believe it: noone of all the experts here ever opened that model? I turned out two tiny screws but don't find any other and have no clue how to proceed.

I do not have that model, so I can't tell, but I'm curious to know more about it.

I do have a couple of HP-17BII, but these are using those four plastic rivets in the back under the battery cover and no screws are used. Basically these machines were not meant to be serviced.

But if you found two screws in the HP-17BII+, then it may belong to the new generation of Chinese made machines like the HP-35S.

Is your machine the silver color one using a similar body as the HP-35S?

If so, I would use a plastic pry tool to try to separate the two plastic cover parts (front and back). Force here should be contained in order to not break or dent any parts.
EDIT: But before doing this, please make sure there are no more screws under the bottom cover rubber feet (the 35S uses 4 screws, two at the top and two at the bottom).

See if this old link is of any use (but I guess that you found it before me).
Jose, obrigado. But that 17bii+ Silver seems to feature a unique way of HP calculator housing. I fail to see a way to open it without permanently damaging its metal keyplate. And I don't see any seam allowing me to pry it open carefully (if that's the right word).

(02-27-2016 04:08 PM)jebem Wrote: [ -> ]See if this old link is of any use (but I guess that you found it before me).

Yes, I know this old thread. I actually searched the forum archives before posting my question here (old school, you know). I even did it online and on my museum drive but in either case the first three pictures in the first post of that thread are gone. They'd probably show what I look for at least to some extent but, alas, ...

That's the reason I ask here. Anyway, thanks for your attempt to help.

Halo, Walter,

I'm still curious like a cat Smile

Are those two screws in the back cover under the feet?

EDIT:
OK, I found plenty of back side pictures on TAS.

- So, concerning the fixing screws, it looks like the HP-35S in the back, meaning it should have 4 screws.
Two at the top under the feet or under the battery cover, and another two screws under the bottom rubber strip acting as a large foot.

And because it is using screws, it is reasonable to assume that they are fixing the two halves of the case.
Just reasoning and guessing.

- Concerning the front and back cover separation, it looks to me very similar to the HP-20B and HP-30B casing.
Maybe you could try to use the same technique used to open a HP-30B on the 17BII+?
In this case, no prying tools, just bare hands, and see if it opens a little between the metal face plate and the surrounding plastic.
What looks like just a metal face plate can be in fact the front cover, like on the 20B and 30B series.
(02-27-2016 05:39 PM)jebem Wrote: [ -> ]- So, concerning the fixing screws, it looks like the HP-35S in the back, meaning it should have 4 screws.
Two at the top under the feet or under the battery cover, and another two screws under the bottom rubber strip acting as a large foot.

Yes, I lifted an edge of the bottom rubber feet and found a screw. Under the battery cover there are two covered holes, where i suppose the other screws are.

Günter
(02-27-2016 08:02 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote: [ -> ]Under the battery cover there are two covered holes, where i suppose the other screws are.

Danke, Günter, for pointing me there. Smile I'll try next week to uncover those holes if they turn out being holes.

d:-)
Hi Walter. Were you finally able to open the 17?
(03-09-2016 11:57 PM)emece67 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Walter. Were you finally able to open the 17?

Walter is away for a couple months. You can send an email from the member info page link, or wait for a reply.
No real need to know it, just curious. Thus, I'll not bother somebody in vacation, I'll wait.

Thanks & regards.
(03-10-2016 05:28 PM)emece67 Wrote: [ -> ]I'll not bother somebody in vacation, I'll wait.
Smile
Reference URL's