HP Forums

Full Version: Geocaching Coords Solver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You can find Geo Coords Solver at Software Library.
Great program !
As program UI is in english and my english isn't good enough, I will be glad for any feedback about wrong grammar, spelling, wording, typos etc. from native english speakers. Thank you.
A local tourist center I volunteer at turned out to have a geocache target on the property. We noticed people coming into parking lot, wandering grounds, and never coming in the building. Finally asked someone what was up and they showed me the nano thing with the paper strip in it.

Weird, we are a fun and interesting place, and I don't think 5% of the geocache people ever come in the building. Of the ones that do come in, they all use the restroom and then leave.

Maybe I'm getting a wrong idea about the hobby, but it seems like finding the container is all anyone is interested in regardless of the surroundings.
Find the cache, take nothing, leave nothing, sign the register, and take off to the next geocache, (doesn't take long for the novelty to wear off), that's it for many folks.
(12-19-2015 07:03 PM)TASP Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe I'm getting a wrong idea about the hobby, but it seems like finding the container is all anyone is interested in regardless of the surroundings.

I know some (many?) geocachers are more interested in finding the next geocache but I always have been more interested in the journey and the surrounding area. I often pick which geocaches we will be looking for based on what is nearby. It's a shame that the person who placed the geocache didn't mention "Check out the Tourist Center nearby!" (assuming they did not).
LOL, the ennui works both ways too.

Any of the other staffers or regular visitors I have tried to explain the geocache to just give me the deer in the headlights stare. You can almost hear the dial tone of disinterest coming out of their brains.

As for the lack of awareness of the surroundings evinced by the geocachers, it makes me wonder about having one of the locals here with a tame, descented pet skunk having him tether the critter there and see if it puts anyone off or if they even see it.

Wink
I somewhat agree that the "thrill" of geocaching wears off after a while but it's a great way to learn about a new territory or even an old territory that you have well explored. Caches are typically hidden in locations that locals know and like, by hunting for them you get to know a territory like many locals en masse know it.

Getting back to HP calculators (although not the Prime)....

I have a signature geocaching item that I leave in large enough cache containers, I bought a huge lot of HP 6S solar calculators for next to nothing a while ago.
Reference URL's