HP Forums

Full Version: [HP 35s] Finding the minimum of a FCN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I've been trying to get the 35s to solve a program defined by a label but it just won't find any roots.

Would anybody be kind enough as to take a look at my codes?

This one calculates the derivative of a function using \(f'(x)=\frac{f(x+h)-f(x-h)}{2h}\)
Code:
LBL D
RCL D*
2E-3
STO H
-
XEQ F001
RCL D
RCL+ H
XEQ F001
REGZ
-
RCL H
/
RTN

This is the function being evaluated:
Code:
LBL F
STO X
X^2-5*X+6
RTN

Basically, what I am trying to do is to find a local minimum by solving f'(x)=0, which in this case is 5/2.

FN = D

SOLVE D.

Very much appreciated.

Marcio
Hi,

The Solver implicitly stores its guesses into variable D. So if you write "STO D", the guess will be overwritten by the current value of REGX. Try "RCL D" instead of "STO D".

Best regards,

Pascal
(07-04-2015 08:21 AM)Pascal Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

The Solver implicitly stores its guesses into variable D. So if you write "STO D", the guess will be overwritten by the current value of REGX. Try "RCL D" instead of "STO D".

Best regards,

Pascal

That was precisely the problem. Fixed now! Thank you.
(07-03-2015 11:15 PM)Marcio Wrote: [ -> ]Basically, what I am trying to do is to find a local minimum by solving f'(x)=0, which in this case is 5/2.

You might be interested in another method of finding local extrema with a completely different approach. Take a look at this thread in the old forum, especially message #12.

In your function be sure to replace x² with x*x since on the 35s the x² function does not work in the complex domain. Or use Horner's method:

Code:
LBL Y
RCL X
-
RCLx X
+
RTN

Set a suitable h:
1 E-6 [STO] H

Find the minimum between x=1 and 5:

1 [ENTER] 5 XEQ E [ENTER]
SOLVING
E= 2,5000

BTW, the program will also find the two roots on both sides of the minimum:

0 [ENTER] 2,5 XEQ Z [ENTER]
SOLVING
Z= 2,0000

2,5 [ENTER] 5 XEQ Z [ENTER]
SOLVING
Z= 3,0000

Dieter
Bookmarked!

It's really nice to have this option to solve and integrate programs on the 35s.

Thanks

Marcio
Reference URL's