HP Forums

Full Version: Theoretically - could this work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Digital LVP16 pen plotter. It communicates via RS-232-C and uses HP-GL.
I have an HP-82164A Hp-IL/RS-232C interface, an HP-41CX with IL and Plotter modules.

For some reason I feel like banging my head against the wall, inspired by trying to get three devices to talk to each other using RS-232.

Anyone know if there is a reason this will not work? I don't mind trying to get these things to talk to each other, but if you know of a brick wall in my way please pipe up.
It should work. I've used both the 41 and the 71 a lot with the HPIL-to-RS232 interface converter, or actually an FSI164 which is like an HP82164A but has a minimum of two RS-232 channels, optionally up to 8, and had a battery-powered option also. Otherwise it's almost completely the same. HPGL is just text, and with the HPIL and XIO modules I have no doubt you can do everything you need to. You might not even need the XIO, but mine is merged in a double module, and I tend to forget which functions are not part of the HPIL module. If you don't want the plotter, you could donate it to me! Big Grin
Have you tried to use it in manual mode ?
Code:
MANIO     (Manual I/O)
1         (device position in the loop, your RS-232C interface)
SELECT    (select the device)

optional: clear MAN/NORM/TRACE printer flags
Code:
CF 15
CF 16

test GP-GL command
Code:
PINIT     (create Plotter module I/O buffers and should select the first pen)
PEN       (plotter select the pen 0 = release pen)
PCLBUF    (clear Plotter module I/O buffers)

edit: test HP-GL command sequence
Not that far yet, I am going to check the serial cable I have tonight to confirm wiring between the devices. I also need to power up the plotter and run the self test to see if it still works, its been years. I have some pens, still in foil packages, I hope I have enough to fill the pen carousel. I have not seen these for sale in ages.

I used it to make maps using Generic CAD in the previous century. I miss watching a pen plotter create a drawing.
(06-18-2015 01:44 PM)4ster Wrote: [ -> ]I used it to make maps using Generic CAD in the previous century. I miss watching a pen plotter create a drawing.

I know what you mean! There's something about seeing the printhead zip around in all directions that's more fun than seeing our DesignJet print with a printhead that just goes back and forth. I also like one that only moves one pen at a time and has to return to a holding station to automatically swap pens.

Tom L
Code:
There's something about seeing the printhead zip around in all directions
I doubt that it will be "zipping around" with a 41 controlling it Big Grin ; but sometimes speed is of secondary importance.
(06-18-2015 08:46 PM)Garth Wilson Wrote: [ -> ]
Code:
There's something about seeing the printhead zip around in all directions
I doubt that it will be "zipping around" with a 41 controlling it Big Grin ; but sometimes speed is of secondary importance.

I agree with you Garth.
Plotting with the standard HP-41 on the HP-7470A is an exercise of patience.
But you should see it fly with a 41CL running at 50x the speed. Amazing!
I will make a video this weekend showing the difference and will post back the link here after.
Sylvain
That will be great to see. I never had the plotter module, so that should be good to see perform too.
He! He! Sooner than expected! Smile

HP 41CX plotting a sinus on a HP-7470A Plotter.
Info: 41CX HN @ 1x speed Video: ~2m45s

41CL plotting a sinus on a HP-7470A Plotter.
Info: 41CL v3 @ 50x speed Video: ~1m

The plot result is here

Equipment:
- HP-41CX and 41CLv3
- HP-82184A Plotter Module
- HP-82160A HP-IL interface
- HP-82169A HP-IL/HP-IB Interface
- HP-7470A HP-IB Plotter

edit 1: typo
edit 2: add plot result
Very nice!!
(06-19-2015 07:56 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote: [ -> ]Very nice!!

Thanks Ángel and also for the previous nice words Smile

FYI: I should be able this week end to take the images of the SMI ROM's that I have
and I will post a message in the appropriate thread when it's available.
Thanks for posting the video. I don't think there is a better demonstration of how slow a stock HP-41 is by modern standards.

I'm afraid I will not be able to emulate the video. I tried to run the self test on my plotter yesterday and it failed to print the demonstration plot.

If it was an HP plotter I am sure that it would have started right up. However, the drive rollers would have been goo and would need the O ring hack. ;-)

Thanks all for the info.
(06-19-2015 03:56 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote: [ -> ]He! He! Sooner than expected! Smile

Very cool videos Sylvain, thanks for taking the time to make and share them, and also they're a great demo of what the 41C family was capable of doing 30+ years ago. It's also quite a testament to the quality of HP equipment of that era. I am comfortable predicting most HP InkJet printers sold today will not last 1/6 or 1/7th as long.
(06-19-2015 01:59 PM)4ster Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think there is a better demonstration of how slow a stock HP-41 is by modern standards.

I have multiple copies of all the 8216X HP-IL peripherals and some esoteric ones.
I will make more videos in the coming weeks showing how the different peripherals works with the HP-41CX/41CL/71B/75C controllers.
I will need to buy a tripod stand and a iPhone holder for the stand if I do not want the video to be shaky as it is right now.

(06-19-2015 01:59 PM)4ster Wrote: [ -> ]However, the drive rollers would have been goo and would need the O ring hack. ;-)

That's right but it cost me 2$ to buy a long replacement tube of the right circumference.
I then upgraded my two 7470A plotters and have enough left to upgrade several others.
Well, I am back up and running. I found a HP 7475A on ebay for a decent price since it was missing the pen carousel. It turns out that my original Digital plotter is a rebranded 7475A so it has become my parts machine. The new plotter ran the demo plot perfectly. I was amazed that only one of the pens had dried out after sitting in the carousel for so long.

Now the hair pulling starts.
Still have about half my hair. When its all gone I hope to be able to post a video of the HP-41 plotting quantity of hair vs. time spent with the HP-IL RS232.
(07-14-2015 01:19 PM)4ster Wrote: [ -> ]Still have about half my hair. When its all gone I hope to be able to post a video of the HP-41 plotting quantity of hair vs. time spent with the HP-IL RS232.
Certainly an exponential curve. Or is that a Log curve... I always use to get those messed up.
Reference URL's