HP Forums

Full Version: Casio magnetic data cards for the Pro fx-1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've recently acquired a Casio Pro fx-1, one of the first Casio programmable calculators and the only one with a card reader. I would like now to get some magnetic cards for this model.
I've found a topic in the old forum archives from someone who had such cards but I don't know how to contact him: OT: Casio magnetic cards

So if anybody can help me either to contact Juergen (CH) or to find some of these cards it would be great.

[Image: P1030200_s.JPG?psid=1]
Maybe Namir can help you?
Available in Switzerland in Q2/2007

And then there's Jurgen Keller.
But his former account was created in November 2005.

Edit:
Juergen Keller signed an article of user Juergen (CH):
Transferring files from Series 80 Emulator to HP-85 via floppy disks
So it appears he had two accounts. Mei mei!

BTW: He has a nice blog Calculator Nostalgia.
You can contact him there as well.

Quote:Otherwise they probably end up in the bin...

Wish you could luck! After 7 years ...

Cheers
Thomas
Regarding Didier's question: I've unfortunately donated all the magnetic cards to a guy in the UK, shortly after that post to the MoHPC forum. Too late, sorry!

Regarding Thomas' findings: 'Juergen (CH)' and 'Jurgen Keller' are both me (and also the Calculator Nostalgia blog). With the introduction of the new forum, I've decided to use my full name. There is no other reason, I've nothing to hide. Sorry if that has caused any confusion!

Regarding Juergen and Jurgen: well, actually my first name is Jürgen. However, Umlauts can still cause some troubles in the world of computers. In Germany, you can easily substitute ü by ue (and ä by ae etc.). However, my experience is that this convention is not well known outside of German speaking countries. So I've switched to Jurgen in English contexts. That's also the convention I use at work (well, IT department just replaced the ü by u in my user name and e-mail address, so the choice was a little imposed).

Best,
Jurgen (just to be consistent with my own rules)
Thanks for your answer anyway.
Do you know http://www.ledudu.com/ ? The curator is the most proficient Casio collector I'm aware off. Just ask him!
(01-26-2014 01:31 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know http://www.ledudu.com/ ? The curator is the most proficient Casio collector I'm aware off. Just ask him!
Yes I know him and he's been very kind and provided me with one magnetic card for the Pro fx-1 ! Smile

I'm still looking for more cards.
(01-26-2014 02:15 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-26-2014 01:31 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know http://www.ledudu.com/ ? The curator is the most proficient Casio collector I'm aware off. Just ask him!
Yes I know him and he's been very kind and provided me with one magnetic card for the Pro fx-1 ! Smile

I have a box of new cards for this machine.
I have no machine. Sell me your machine? Smile
(04-17-2014 05:51 AM)Boo Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-26-2014 02:15 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote: [ -> ]Yes I know him and he's been very kind and provided me with one magnetic card for the Pro fx-1 ! Smile

I have a box of new cards for this machine.
I have no machine. Sell me your machine? Smile
Would you sell me your cards? Smile I'm really interested, you can contact me directly with a PM through this forum.
Hi,

I've just acquired a casio Pro fx-1, but I have no manual (or cards). Does anyone have a scan of the manual? i also have an fx 201P so the programming part is fine, as they are identical, but I have no detail about how to use the card reader.

Andrew
You can find the magnetic card recording instructions here.
Thank you very much, that's exactly what i was after!
TIL: I never knew Casio made a calculator with a card reader!
If there's anyone out there with some cards, I'm after a hires photo of the card with a ruler next to it.
Andrew
(04-13-2019 07:44 AM)blackjetrock Wrote: [ -> ]If there's anyone out there with some cards, I'm after a hires photo of the card with a ruler next to it.
Andrew

I might be able to do one for you. I have just moved so everything packed at the moment. I have a box of cards somewhere.
Here is one :
[Image: mini_190413100059882435.jpg]
That's very helpful,thanks.

Andrew
Interesting that it uses a swipe card. It's probably less prone to failure than the motor driven card readers.

I wonder what the black stripes on the bottom edge of the card are for? They must be for an optical sensor, but what is the optical signal used for? I guess it is for measuring the speed of the card when writing data to the card.
(04-14-2019 11:37 AM)ijabbott Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder what the black stripes on the bottom edge of the card are for? They must be for an optical sensor, but what is the optical signal used for?

I suppose that these black stripes are used to generate a clock signal used to synchronize the read or write operations.
(04-14-2019 11:41 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-14-2019 11:37 AM)ijabbott Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder what the black stripes on the bottom edge of the card are for? They must be for an optical sensor, but what is the optical signal used for?

I suppose that these black stripes are used to generate a clock signal used to synchronize the read or write operations.

Yes, I'm pretty sure they are. There's an opto sensor in the top part of the calculator that senses through the card. I've tried putting stripes on an old credit card to see if I can make some cards, but it didn't work. I think this is because the cards need to be low coercivity and the credit cards are high coercivity. I've got some lo-co cards coming so I'll try it with them.

Andrew
On the original Casio magnetic card, the bottom part where the black stripes are located is transparent. So I suppose there is a LED on one side of the card tray and a photodiode on the other side so when you swipe the card the alternance of the black stripes with the transparent part of the card creates the clock signal.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's