HP Forums

Full Version: Loading YFNX into 41CL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To chase the serial port testing, I need to load YFNX into my CL. Initially a tad confusing since we now deal with Pages instead of Ports.

I did a BKSPC-ON to reset the 41CL

In sequence, I then did

MMUCLR
"YFNX" PLUG1L
MMUEN

to load the CL Extreme Functions.

(the manual says I can now disable the normal CL Extra Functions, but not how to do so?)

Then to load Library-4:

"804040-8120" YPOKE

Then to load AMC-OSX-Lib4 version into Page-A:

"OSX3 A" PPLUG

Which loads OK, but OSX does not seem to be active.

Then to load PowerCL-EXT into Page-B:

"PWRX B" PPLUG

CAT2 confirms YFNX 2B, AMC-OSX and PWRCL EXT are present, and the YFNX and PWRCL EXT commands seem to work, but the OSX does not appear to be present.

Did I miss something?

The OSX extensions are not essential for the testing, but I'm used to having this loaded and I'm concerned my setup may not be correct and possibly invalidate any testing.

Suggestions?
(02-25-2015 08:00 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]In sequence, I then did

MMUCLR
"YFNX" PLUG1L
MMUEN

(the manual says I can now disable the normal CL Extra Functions, but not how to do so?)

If you used the same page# where you had YFNP then that's all done.
Otherwise you'll need to to unplug the YFNP using PLUG, with the "EMPT" switch.

(02-25-2015 08:00 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Then to load Library-4:
"804040-8120" YPOKE

good, or also with YFNX already plugged you can also do PLUG, "LIB4", 4 - it's easier.

(02-25-2015 08:00 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Then to load AMC-OSX-Lib4 version into Page-A:

"OSX3 A" PPLUG

I reported this issue to Monte a few weeks ago. For the Extended catalogs and the other enhancements to work you need to plug the OS/X module in a lowered number page than the one used by YFNX. The same happens with the original CCD module, it is a conflict in the way YFNX and all CCD-style modules use the polling points - we suspect.

(02-25-2015 08:00 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Then to load PowerCL-EXT into Page-B:

"PWRX B" PPLUG

CAT2 confirms YFNX 2B, AMC-OSX and PWRCL EXT are present, and the YFNX and PWRCL EXT commands seem to work, but the OSX does not appear to be present.

Did I miss something?

The OSX extensions are not essential for the testing, but I'm used to having this loaded and I'm concerned my setup may not be correct and possibly invalidate any testing.

Suggestions?

To me those extensions are essential, so I hope this helps!
(02-26-2015 06:26 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-25-2015 08:00 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]In sequence, I then did

MMUCLR
"YFNX" PLUG1L
MMUEN

If you used the same page# where you had YFNP then that's all done.
Otherwise you'll need to to unplug the YFNP using PLUG, with the "EMPT" switch.

(02-25-2015 08:00 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Then to load Library-4:
"804040-8120" YPOKE

good, or also with YFNX already plugged you can also do PLUG, "LIB4", 4 - it's easier.

(02-25-2015 08:00 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Then to load AMC-OSX-Lib4 version into Page-A:

"OSX3 A" PPLUG

I reported this issue to Monte a few weeks ago. For the Extended catalogs and the other enhancements to work you need to plug the OS/X module in a lowered number page than the one used by YFNX. The same happens with the original CCD module, it is a conflict in the way YFNX and all CCD-style modules use the polling points - we suspect.

(02-25-2015 08:00 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Then to load PowerCL-EXT into Page-B:

"PWRX B" PPLUG

Did I miss something?

Suggestions?

To me those extensions are essential, so I hope this helps!

As usual Angel, your answers are most helpful!!

So i can simply install YFNX into Page-9, load LIB#4 and then install OSX3 into Page-8?

Assuming so, can I (with YFNP installed) simply install YFNX into Page-9, then using UPLUG, remove YFNP from Page-8?

Frankly, I consider the OSX extensions essential too! And Rapidly feeling the same about PowerCL.

When I left off using my 41C on a daily basis (early 90's) I had been using a CCD module for some time. In recent years, I traded my CCD module (w/perfect manual, overlay, etc. - sniff) but then upon coming back to the 41, it didn't feel the way I remembered it, and after diging about I realized I had come to think of CCD OS extensions as part of the native system.

These tools Rock Angel, and the beautiful manuals are a joy to read and use!

And soon, on to HEPAX, satisfying a 30-year old itch I could never scratch.
(02-26-2015 02:19 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]So i can simply install YFNX into Page-9, load LIB#4 and then install OSX3 into Page-8?

Assuming so, can I (with YFNP installed) simply install YFNX into Page-9, then using UPLUG, remove YFNP from Page-8?

Yes to both questions.

In fact - and if there is no HP-IL installed - you can install the OS/X and PowerPC modules in pages #6 or #7, which will ensure they're *below* the YFNX module at all times.

Still it'll be nice to get that incompatibility fixed in the YFNX...
Since I don't use HP IL these days, my configuration is:

page 4: Library 4
Page 5: Timer module physically plugged
Page 6: PowerCL
Page 7: OSX4
Page 8: YFNX
Page 9: open
Pages A/B: Sandmath (you are using this, right?) :-)
Pages C/D and E/F open

Still looking for a good candidate for page 9. I do ***wish*** YFNX could be part of a bank switched module of some sort. I hate :-) having page 8 only containing 4K of code after getting so used to the wonders of bank-switched PowerCL, OSX4, Sandmath, etc.

Big :-) here.
(02-26-2015 02:48 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote: [ -> ]Yes to both questions.

In fact - and if there is no HP-IL installed - you can install the OS/X and PowerPC modules in pages #6 or #7, which will ensure they're *below* the YFNX module at all times.

Still it'll be nice to get that incompatibility fixed in the YFNX...

Thanks again Angel!

I do use HP-IL for storing programs, etc. at the moment, so no help there. Once I become more proficient with the CL and gain confidence with saving to Flash and/or Hepax, I may no longer need IL.

Thanks!
(02-26-2015 04:11 PM)Gene Wrote: [ -> ]Since I don't use HP IL these days, my configuration is:

Pages C/D and E/F open

Still looking for a good candidate for page 9. I do ***wish*** YFNX could be part of a bank switched module of some sort. I hate :-) having page 8 only containing 4K of code after getting so used to the wonders of bank-switched PowerCL, OSX4, Sandmath, etc.

How about YFNF as a page#9 tenant??

And yes, it'll be wonderful to have a YFNX + YFNF combo using bank-switched configuration...
(02-26-2015 04:11 PM)Gene Wrote: [ -> ]Since I don't use HP IL these days, my configuration is:

Pages C/D and E/F open

OSX4 s/b OSX3 right? (Module ID) Or maybe you just mean the LIB4 version?

Had to remove the latest SandMath as it intereferes with OSX special catalogs (bug filed w/Angel already).

Note this was under YFNP so could change when I build-up using YFNX tonite.

Oh yes, VERY nice. Smile Smile Even nicer than folks had claimed, and overall pretty easy to get things installed. REAL. GOOD. STUFF.

And I saw this morning that Monte has updated the Flash with the new ROMs for PPC Apps, the WWD books, Gene's Fav games, etc. Good candidates to learn how to upate the CL Flash (after RAM - I'm not completey crazy).
Sorry, yes. OSX4 = OSX3 with 4 bank switched pages and Lib4 aware.

Don't call that GRAW rom Gene's favorite "games". It is not a game module at all. It is simply a lot of programs from the PPC Journal and Datafile that I thought needed to be preserved and available. It contains:

Pi to 1000 places
Roger Hills fast calendar printer
e to 2900 digits
Banner program and load for that program
H67 assembler computer simulator
Learning curve program

then some fun stuff:

Star trek enterprise graphic character print program
Tones: Bach, Jingle Bells, Star Wars, play all 127 tones
Valentine printing program

and a bit more like this game: Treasure Island. :-)
(02-26-2015 04:11 PM)Gene Wrote: [ -> ]Still looking for a good candidate for page 9. I do ***wish*** YFNX could be part of a bank switched module of some sort. I hate :-) having page 8 only containing 4K of code after getting so used to the wonders of bank-switched PowerCL, OSX4, Sandmath, etc.

In reality, YFNX is an 8K module. Most of the functions dynamically load YLIB to Page 4 and then execute in Page 4. Executing in a known address makes it MUCH easier to do subroutine calls and long jumps. That's why 'Angel's LIB4 is so useful. YFNF also uses dynamic paging, but only for a small amount of code required when writing to Flash. The code is first copied to RAM, and then the RAM is mapped to Page 4, and the code is executed from RAM. Dynamic paging allows an unlimited amount of code space to be available while only using up one 4K page.
Ooops. My fault! Mea culpa!

Wasn't a slam against 41CL or YFNP / YFNX. Was a wish to have an extra port!
(02-26-2015 06:42 PM)Gene Wrote: [ -> ]Wasn't a slam against 41CL or YFNP / YFNX. Was a wish to have an extra port!

I didn't take it as a slam, I just wanted to clarify. Don't forget that with YFNX there are four separate MMU configurations available, which is almost like having four separate machines in one...
(02-26-2015 05:11 PM)Gene Wrote: [ -> ]Don't call that GRAW rom Gene's favorite "games". It is not a game module at all. It is simply a lot of programs from the PPC Journal and Datafile that I thought needed to be preserved and available. It contains:

Pi to 1000 places
e to 2900 digits
Learning curve program

then some fun stuff:

My bad, the actual title is simply "Gene’s RAW files". I rounded off in a sloppy way when writing the above as I primarily recalled the Enterprise graphic (guess this says something about me when I probably should have recalled "e to 2900 digits". Nah....
(02-26-2015 05:11 PM)Gene Wrote: [ -> ]Pi to 1000 places
e to 2900 digits
Learning curve program

so good to know the program names, but how about some user instructions? - unless they're trivial but something tells me not all are...
(02-27-2015 02:07 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-26-2015 05:11 PM)Gene Wrote: [ -> ]Pi to 1000 places
e to 2900 digits
Learning curve program

so good to know the program names, but how about some user instructions? - unless they're trivial but something tells me not all are...

I agree - where did these gems come from? I've been dieing to know the 2894th digit of e, and just don't know where to begin. That and printing Enterprises.

If you have the source data, send me the notes, and I'll volunteer to research them and see if I can insert core instructions into Sylvain's template.
Reference URL's