HP Forums

Full Version: Black hole observed!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
To whom it may concern:

I miss space for attachments since about beginning of April. That space was available before. Please check and recover. Thanks in advance.

d:-I

(I tried to bring this to your attention by previous posts and PM - and got *no* reaction so far. Sad So now I've to try it this way.)
(04-16-2015 04:26 AM)walter b Wrote: [ -> ]To whom it may concern:

I miss space for attachments since about beginning of April. That space was available before. Please check and recover. Thanks in advance.

(I tried to bring this to your attention by previous posts and PM - and got *no* reaction so far. Sad So now I've to try it this way.)

I did move my attachments to a google drive account and made the files individually public. This enlarges the space for attachments to nearly unlimited 15GB.

Bernhard
Thanks. But ...
  1. Google knows enough about me. I don't intend to feed it unnecessarily.
  2. I'm talking about less than 2 free MB permanently attached to this site. They simply disappeared without the slightest notice. Strange at least. If that's due to a system error, the admins should be made aware of it and correct it. Else it's no way to interact with members IMHO. I still hope somebody cares.
This is an attempt to get a reaction (alas, as mentioned above: not the first one in ten days). Maybe, however, all admins went on vacation in a secluded valley without internet - for me, it's next to impossible to find out just seeing a communication line staying silent. Ping ... ping ... ping ... ...

d:-?
(04-16-2015 07:47 PM)walter b Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. But ...
  2. I'm talking about less than 2 free MB permanently attached to this site. They simply disappeared without the slightest notice. Strange at least. If that's due to a system error, the admins should be made aware of it and correct it. Else it's no way to interact with members IMHO. I still hope somebody cares.
This is an attempt to get a reaction (alas, as mentioned above: not the first one in ten days). Maybe, however, all admins went on vacation in a secluded valley without internet - for me, it's next to impossible to find out just seeing a communication line staying silent. Ping ... ping ... ping ... ...

Members must help each other! Let's do a collection!

Who has free memory for W.? I will donate 1 MB. If only 1% of all members will follow, there will be more than 20 MB, enough space for a whole year until admins are back in service. Smile

Bernhard
(04-16-2015 07:47 PM)walter b Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe, however, all admins went on vacation in a secluded valley without internet - for me, it's next to impossible to find out just seeing a communication line staying silent. Ping ... ping ... ping ... ...

Dave is the only person who can address this issue. The moderators have no special assess to storage content or limits.
(04-16-2015 07:47 PM)walter b Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. But ...

I can host more files similar to the 34S manual if you'd like. The only disadvantage is there is no download count, which I agree is nice feedback for insight into what folks like and take copies of.

If you'd like to, just email the files like last time; I can email you the links and you can add a post with proper descriptions, etc. The links could be updated to the Forum hosted copy if the issue gets cleared up quickly, however I imagine the majority of the downloads would take place in the first few days after posting.

Or wait a couple more days to see if Dave returns and solves the mystery.
Thanks for your offers. I'll wait a couple (!) more days to see if Dave returns and solves the mystery. At the bottom line it's all about uploading the overlays for NP25 for the community - so I can wait. Sometimes, I just wonder about customer orientation ...

d:-/
(04-17-2015 05:14 AM)walter b Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your offers. I'll wait a couple (!) more days to see if Dave returns and solves the mystery. At the bottom line it's all about uploading the overlays for NP25 for the community - so I can wait. Sometimes, I just wonder about customer orientation ...

dUndecided

I take exception to the term "customer".

I am voluntarily a member of the forum & pay zero euros for my membership.
Correct. Nevertheless, Dave provides a service (i.e. a forum) for which we're very thankful. OTOH, every service has customers ...

Another example for comparison: I provide a WP 34S Manual Calculation Guide for free as well. Now, any downloader and reader of that guide is my customer. If I won't react on customer requests I'd provide a bad service IMHO.

(It is often said we in Germany live in a so-called "service desert", meaning we call for service but noone cares (or exclusively on Wednesdays between 10:15 and 12:00). Confused There might be such deserts elsewhere as well.)

(04-17-2015 01:49 PM)walter b Wrote: [ -> ]Correct. Nevertheless, Dave provides a service (i.e. a forum) for which we're very thankful. OTOH, every service has customers ...

Another example for comparison: I provide a WP 34S Manual Calculation Guide for free as well. Now, any downloader and reader of that guide is my customer. If I won't react on customer requests I'd provide a bad service IMHO.

(It is often said we in Germany live in a so-called "service desert", meaning we call for service but noone cares (or exclusively on Wednesdays between 10:15 and 12:00). Confused There might be such deserts elsewhere as well.)

No.

A customer frequents a place of business.

Someone who comes to my home & stays for dinner is a guest, not a customer in English.

In German you say "Kunde" for customer.

Would you call your dinner-guests "Kunden"? Very few English speakers do.

Similarly, someone who frequents a club is a member.

In hospitals English people find patients.

I guess you find only "Kunden" at your dinner table, in a club & in hospital.

In this interchange I consider myself a correspondent......but I guess you'll assert I'm a customer?
You're right, of course.

Having said that, you're desperately wrong. Why? Go one step higher in the level of generalisation, please. Looking at an arbitrary activity, there are always people waiting for its result. These are the customers of said activity (cf. ISO 9000, 9001).

So on this level your dinner guests are your customers. You strive for content dinner guests, so you strive for customer satisfaction.

Club members are customers of the ones who manage the club.

Patients are customers of hospitals (and quite some things would run better if hospitals would be aware of that).

d:->
(04-17-2015 02:45 PM)walter b Wrote: [ -> ]You're right, of course.

Having said that, you're desperately wrong. Why? Go one step higher in the level of generalisation, please. Looking at an arbitrary activity, there are always people waiting for its result. These are the customers of said activity (cf. ISO 9000, 9001).

So on this level your dinner guests are your customers. You strive for content dinner guests, so you strive for customer satisfaction.

Club members are customers of the ones who manage the club.

Patients are customers of hospitals (and quite some things would run better if hospitals would be aware of that).

d:->

Right & wrong? Sic et non? I diagnose too much Hegel for breakfast.

My prescription is a good dose of Bertrand Russell followed by an ample helping of Quine, washed down with a course in basic physics.
Possibly the extra space permission got lost during a ban/warning or perhaps removing extra permissions is by design in that case. Since you're the only one so far with the extra space permission, I'm not going to spend the time figuring out if it's a bug or a feature and I'll just expand the standard user (everyone) to 6MB. Most users use way less so it should work out OK and is more convenient for the few who need more.
Great! I've not uploaded things here before due to space restrictions.

Pauli
Thanks, Dave. Finally settled.

d:-)
Please see this thread (as linked). Posts #2 and #3 are invisible in threaded view. Confused

I'd sincerely recommend to bring this case to the forum SW people - it's far more than an exception meanwhile. Confused

Just came across there was an early post in said thread deleted. Seems this deletion may have caused the generation of this black hole (cf. observations reported above).

d:-/
(04-25-2015 12:40 PM)walter b Wrote: [ -> ]Just came across there was an early post in said thread deleted.

I remember that the old forum took care of this by replacing the deleted post by a dummy node called "deleted post" thus preserving the threaded structure.
Another point still unsettled (sorry!):

I appreciate leaving that linked dispute in the archives since it's a textbook example of what can happen if a person becomes carried away from reality. I still miss an explanation, however, why you granted me
  1. three bonus points for unvealing that (knotty timber required sharp wedges, sorry, also Ockham's razor had to be sharp), and
  2. three more bonus points for simply reporting my observations thereafter.
I won't suggest nor recommend anything, but just want to understand your decisions to behave better in future (oops, sounds ambiguous in your language but I hope you know what I mean). Thanks in advance.

(I tried to bring this to your attention by PMs weeks ago - and got *no* reaction so far - let alone an excuse by the knotty timber. Sad So now I've to try it this way. Feel free to respond to my PMs if you prefer.)
I very rarely get around to reading your PMs these days, but I think the reply in this thread covers it:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-2861-page-2.html

In short, the subject here is calculators. I'm sure there are many other places on the internet that would welcome disputes, arguments, and your opinions on people in general.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's