HP Forums

Full Version: HP Prime Hardware (internal and external)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:Apple can make a product that is both elegant and recyclable
FWIW, while some materials used in the iP* series are recyclable (though not necessarily environmentally cheap to either produce or recycle - getting back aluminum from its oxide requires high temperatures), the fact that the iP* devices are basically unrepairable ( http://ifixit.org/blog/1863/three-ways-w...but-wasnt/ : the iPad is one of the least recyclable products ever disassembled by iFixIt) makes them fairly high environmental impact.
I was hoping someone would pick up on that: if an item doesn't wear out (or can be repaired easily and cheaply), "recycling" only becomes an issue with physical obsolescence, not just "going out of fashion."

Putting aside the marketing directed at "having the latest model," if a product can be repurposed, then its environmental impact is on the consumer, not the manufacturer. For example, an iPhone 4 makes an excellent remote camera when combined with apps available for next to nothing. View from the 'net, capture video, etc. In contrast with a consumer security camera (not a cheap nanny-cam) at $200+, a used iPhone 4 for under a hundred bucks looks pretty good.

The march of technology in micro-processors and displays has disproportionately affected small, high-tech items like calculators, driving prices down and features up. So now we have the h/p49 series (b1999-??) alongside the Prime (age 1+) with a touch screen and an outstanding graphics display for $150. The Prime has a bright future thanks to the thought that went into the electronics, not the packaging.
(09-23-2014 03:42 PM)dbbotkin Wrote: [ -> ]If you mean 'BUZZ100', probably a piezoelectric buzzer. Do you see anything on the board that could drive a speaker? Would a teacher want students to have that 'feature'?

BTW, there sure are a lot of vacant solder-pads on the board. For testing? Expansion?

I have to constantly remind myself--despite the power of the Prime--that the era of the calculator as the working tool for engineers and scientists has given way to larger, even more powerful devices. That the mission of the Prime (as seen by HP, I think) is to serve students in an educational setting. Hence, the ability for the instructor to 'wipe' the memory or impose restrictions on the functions that may be used.

I could envision a 'Pro' model of the Prime: free of 'test-taking' restrictions with some better I/O so that real data could be transferred or accessed quickly, perhaps over wireless connections. Imagine a Prime with a real-time feed of investment data and a stochastic trading model in the hands of someone who knew how to use it? Hmmmm . . .

Yes yes yes!!!! That is exactly what's needed. This catering to the lowest common denominator is annoying. I'm an engineer and the problem with these "other" tools is they require working on a laptop, which isn't effective when working with pen on paper while laying on your couch, where some of my best work is done......the calculator still is a hugely useful tool. The reason it isn't used as much as in the past is BECAUSE the calculator makers are making crappy calculators. The Prime is the only machine that comes close to what's needed.....and yes, we need access to the hardware with an asm instruction (to execute blocks of assembler) and wifi with USB I/O. Screw the kiddies.....I want a real tool.
I was using a tool called mathstudio on my phone before I got my prime. The prime is better.
(06-27-2017 04:48 AM)webmasterpdx Wrote: [ -> ]Screw the kiddies.....I want a real tool.

Problem is the kiddies (schools/testing) pay the bills... Smile

Quote:I was using a tool called mathstudio on my phone before I got my prime. The prime is better.

Yup, I'd agree there.
(06-27-2017 08:05 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-27-2017 04:48 AM)webmasterpdx Wrote: [ -> ]Screw the kiddies.....I want a real tool
Problem is the kiddies (schools/testing) pay the bills.
Unfortunately, it seems the professional users negligibly pay the bills, and they must mean peanuts to all the big companies.
Fortunately, a Calculus machine like Free42 can now live on a specific HW, top quality by the way.
Who knows, maybe in a couple of years these Swiss engineers might be able to include a CAS in a new calc. I bet they could, not only thanks to SM's team, but also thanks to the community of pros now involved in the beta testing and the final development phases.
Yup, no sweat for any big company, kiddies will keep on buying popsicles, and student-level calculators for good.
That being said, I must recognize I would like the Prime to be my next calculator, most likely. I still see some original HP spirit in it. Besides, all the HP team has done a great job to polish its edges.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's