HP Forums

Full Version: HP-PRIME CAS. When it will be updated to v2.0?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, xCAS is approaching version 2.0 and the hp-prime remained at version 1.5.0, it is time to partially open the firmware so that third parties can update it.

xCAS v1.9.0-93 2024
https://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~par...ll_en#wcas
I would note 1.9.0 does not necessarily mean close to 2.0.0, 1.10.0 is a valid version number in most versioning systems.

Though I would like to see an update too, certainly, and easier extensability would be nice.. but I would guess this would be problematic for exam situations.
Hello everyone,

I would really like us to be able to question the compatibility of this HP Prime with exam mode... The start of the 2024 school year will be the last time for me where I will have to ask myself this question. My last son will then enter in first year of high school (in France). His two brothers before him did all their schooling with an HP Prime G2…
Without a solid and reliable python application here in France, then this HP Prime is now unsaleable here, and I will probably have to resign myself to looking at Casio... There are a few months left...
But “Moravia” has been telling us lies for a long time now. We were told that a solid team was dedicated to developing the firmware. How many people are currently mobilized to ensure the correction of bugs, and the necessary evolution of the connectivity kit? Only one person, I fear… We were told an update for summer 2023!!

What can we hope for?
My opinion is that even if currently only one person is involved in the correction of bugs and development of the HP Prime and related software, it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Previously, there were only two people (at least in the last few years on the HP's side), because I don't recall anyone besides Tim and Cyrille doing anything for the HP Prime (of course, we must also mention prof. Parisse, who has been working on the development of the CAS and some built-in applications of the HP Prime since its early days).
As for Moravia, initially, the entire HP Prime project was hosted on HP servers, and Moravia worked on those servers for about a year. However, they later had to move everything to their own infrastructure, which was a gigantic task that had to be completed in order to continue working on debugging and developing the HP Prime. This involved a multitude of configurations and settings that needed to be done and certainly took a tremendous amount of time on Moravia's side.

For me, the main problem lies more in the almost total lack of communication from Moravia about what is currently happening. Even some brief information completely changes the attitude of people who have been waiting so long and don't know if they will ever get anything. When there's absolutely nothing, and it has been going on for many months, many people have the right to think that nothing is happening (even if quite a lot is being done). If something cannot be achieved or work is delayed, such information would greatly improve the overall image, which cannot be said about prolonged silence.
The second problem is the infrequent release of firmware updates. It is definitely better for any product when updates contain fewer changes but are released more often. We can then talk about a product that has regular updates, which greatly encourages its purchase.

Just my 2c.
My English is not at a sufficient level to be able to write something comprehensible like the writers above me, so I will just write that I also join the dissatisfied users with the current state of HP Prime.

In case the developers have forgotten what product they are looking after, HP Prime has, compared to other calculators:
  • fastest processor
  • largest user memory
  • probably the best quality and best organized keyboard
  • touch screen controlled by fingers (personally, I don't mind that it's upside down)

It would be more than appropriate that this great product should be given similar care now as it was during its development. The utter silence from the developers is deafening.
(03-12-2024 02:41 PM)komame Wrote: [ -> ]The second problem is the infrequent release of firmware updates. It is definitely better for any product when updates contain fewer changes but are released more often. We can then talk about a product that has regular updates, which greatly encourages its purchase.

Just my 2c.

As a point of comparison, can anyone provide a link to release notes for current competitive products from TI, Casio, Sharp, etc.?
The truth is that when updates are released, the community becomes very active; the forum is buzzing with ideas, questions, and interesting discussions that engage many people. However, when there are no updates and after some time the current firmware has already bored everyone, it is easy to observe that almost nothing is happening on the forum. At that time, many people only visit the forum once a week or even once a month just to check if there's any update, but they don't do anything else; they just wait.
The exception is only for new users who are just starting their adventure and still have the enthusiasm to do something. But they also give up quite quickly when nothing happens.
Frequent updates motivate people, the community thrives and grows, which is a great invitation for those who were not previously convinced by a specific product. If you create something and want to share it, only the community can appreciate it. And when you feel appreciated, you gain wings, and it all builds on itself.

(03-13-2024 11:39 AM)mfleming Wrote: [ -> ]As a point of comparison, can anyone provide a link to release notes for current competitive products from TI, Casio, Sharp, etc.?

My previous statement was about products and good practices in general, not just calculators. However, focusing on calculators, as of today, both TI and Casio have a fairly strong position in various markets; they don't need to fight too hard. However, in the case of HP Prime, it looks a bit different, so perhaps it's worth using the area neglected by the competition, showing that the manufacturer cares about development and supports users. These are the things that attract the most people and that's the best advertisement.

I think HP Prime is a great product and it's not far from being perfect, so I'm looking forward to the next update eagerly.
(03-12-2024 02:41 PM)komame Wrote: [ -> ]⋮ lots of good comments...
The second problem is the infrequent release of firmware updates. It is definitely better for any product when updates contain fewer changes but are released more often. We can then talk about a product that has regular updates, which greatly encourages its purchase.

I've been fairly busy for some time now increasing the level of automation in the build process, with the goal being to streamline the production of firmware images (and the other software).

And — thanks again, Piotr, for your help with the project. Smile
(03-16-2024 11:44 PM)jte Wrote: [ -> ]I've been fairly busy for some time now increasing the level of automation in the build process, with the goal being to streamline the production of firmware images (and the other software).

That's great news! Smile
This should streamline the work and speed up further development. Am I correct in assuming that once you finish this stage, you will return to bug fixing?
Reference URL's