HP Forums

Full Version: HP Prime to usb-c mod help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I have been using the prime for a while but have wanted to change the port to type c. I tried to find general information about micro b to usb c mods that preserve data but I couldn't figure it out. Would anyone here know of any such mod. Also, is there any way to send data to the calculator without usb, if I go the charging only route? Thanks.
You could get similar benefits using a magnetic USB Micro-B data cable and leaving the business end plugged into the calculator.
It's not a trivial task and you'll need to know how to solder. The easiest solution might be to leave the micro b port for data transfer then make a cutout for a USB c port somewhere else and just use it for charging.
(09-30-2023 09:56 PM)ijabbott Wrote: [ -> ]… a magnetic USB Micro-B data cable and leaving the business end plugged into the calculator.

I’ve found that many aren’t familiar with these things, so I’ll attach some photos I took of one --- in case that might help comprehension for some following this thread.

[attachment=12602] [attachment=12601] [attachment=12600]

Note that the HP Prime's port is recessed, so you'd want to keep that in mind when shopping for such a cable / insert combo. (At least that was a concern of mine.)

Another atypical micro-usb cable I purchased around the same time was one with a symmetrical plug (180° rotational symmetry at the plug end).
(10-01-2023 04:58 AM)TheLastMillennial Wrote: [ -> ]It's not a trivial task and you'll need to know how to solder.
I get that, but I have done usb 2 to type c conversions before, and upon a check a usb c port fits the calculator opening like a glove. I am just looking into how to wire the data pins.
(10-01-2023 07:33 AM)jte Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-30-2023 09:56 PM)ijabbott Wrote: [ -> ]… a magnetic USB Micro-B data cable and leaving the business end plugged into the calculator.

I’ve found that many aren’t familiar with these things, so I’ll attach some photos I took of one --- in case that might help comprehension for some following this thread.
Thanks for the photos, I was initially interested in this idea but I have heard that such ports can be unreliable. Also part of the reason I am interested in usb c is interoperability, which such a system would not give without purchase of many cables and adapters.
Reference URL's