HP Forums

Full Version: Cannot establish USB connection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone! I guess I should do the obligatory forum thingy where I say that I'm new and apologize if this is the wrong spot.

Anyway, I've had an HP Prime for about 3 months, and it's no longer connecting to my laptop or desktop (W10 & W11) over USB. I've tried multiple cables, multiple ports (USB 2 & 3), reinstalling the Connectivity Kit, and booting the calc into all the different recovery modes that I can find.

The calculator never shows up in Device Manager, nor does Windows do that little chime, but it does power on when connected, like I had simply plugged it into a charger. It's like the data lanes on the USB connection are severed, but across multiple cables, which doesn't make sense unless the USB connection on the calc is damaged but still accepts power?

I'd really really appreciate any help. Thank you!
I have seen something similar to this and was able to solve it using the C, F, O while resetting method. Then formatting the drive via option 4 and finally option 3.
have you checked that windows hasn't turned the port of to save power, really caused me a lot of problems with other devices.
(09-17-2023 08:34 PM)EclipseMantis Wrote: [ -> ]The calculator never shows up in Device Manager, nor does Windows do that little chime, but it does power on when connected, like I had simply plugged it into a charger. It's like the data lanes on the USB connection are severed, but across multiple cables, which doesn't make sense unless the USB connection on the calc is damaged but still accepts power?
Unfortunately, this is possible because the power pins and data transmission pins are different. If the socket was accidentally bent too hard, one of the data pins may have disconnected, but charging would still work. However, it's worth trying what matalog suggests first. If that doesn't help, disassemble the HP Prime and inspect these pins as shown in the picture to see if there is any slight looseness in any of the middle pins. Perhaps a light soldering might be enough.
[attachment=12566]

Best regards,
Piotr
I have to connect mine through a USB 2 hub.
It is not seen when.i connect it directly.
(09-18-2023 02:34 PM)matalog Wrote: [ -> ]I have seen something similar to this and was able to solve it using the C, F, O while resetting method. Then formatting the drive via option 4 and finally option 3.

Unfortunately that didn't help, but thank you for your time.

(09-18-2023 07:58 PM)komame Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-17-2023 08:34 PM)EclipseMantis Wrote: [ -> ]The calculator never shows up in Device Manager, nor does Windows do that little chime, but it does power on when connected, like I had simply plugged it into a charger. It's like the data lanes on the USB connection are severed, but across multiple cables, which doesn't make sense unless the USB connection on the calc is damaged but still accepts power?
Unfortunately, this is possible because the power pins and data transmission pins are different. If the socket was accidentally bent too hard, one of the data pins may have disconnected, but charging would still work. However, it's worth trying what matalog suggests first. If that doesn't help, disassemble the HP Prime and inspect these pins as shown in the picture to see if there is any slight looseness in any of the middle pins. Perhaps a light soldering might be enough.

Best regards,
Piotr

Well, I guess this may be it. I'm very surprised, as I try to be careful with things like this. It's still well within the warranty period and I can't imagine anything I did would constitute abuse.

ctrclckws, I did try that as well. Same result.

I guess I'll try and get a replacement. Thanks all for your help!
Reference URL's