HP Forums

Full Version: HP Prime: cant simplify answer output
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Forum,

First post! I cant figure out how to simplify the answers that my HP prime 2 outputs. Please see photo.

I would like the calculator to automatically simplify the fractions in the answer that it outputs. For example when I ask the calculator for the partial fraction of 1/(10x^2+5x). The answer that i expect is 1/(5x) - 2/(5(2x+1)), though the calculator is giving me a more complex answer (1/5)/x - (1/5)/(x+(1/2)).

This is just one example, though I have been experiencing it with many other solutions outputted. Any help is appreciated, Thank you![attachment=12447]
simplify ->max
(08-25-2023 01:20 AM)Alchemisst Wrote: [ -> ]simplify ->max

Thanks for your reply. I set the simplify settings to maximum in the settings and it is still providing the same output.
Of course the expected answer and the HP answer are the same but its surprising that the HP does not simplify and output the expected answer. I tried this on my ti nspire CAS and it gives the expected answer. I have found many instances of poor algebraic manipulation on the Prime. I learn to live with it and do the simplification myself.
Well, the answer for partial fraction decomposition is a sum of coeff/(x-root) (for simple real roots), this is what you would get by doing it by hand. If you want to simplify a part of an expression, then it's not easy because there is no expression editor like on the hp49 (I mean a user interface that lets you select a subexpression and apply a transformation over it).
Here you can type:
Code:

f:=partfrac(1/(10x^2+5x));
f[1](simplify(op(f)))
Explanation: f[1] returns the root operator of the expression in f, op(f) returns the list of arguments of the root operator, simplify will simplify the list of arguments, then the root operator f[1] ('+') is applied on the list. You can not run simplify(f) because it would combine all in one fraction.
This CAS program will be able to display the answer in a more straightforward readable format.

I hope this will help.

[code]
// Part fraction in simpler display
// Run the program in CAS home
// Corruptissima
#cas
//Enter equation
partfracn(f):=
BEGIN
local a,b,c,t;
// Perform partfrac
t:=partfrac(f);
// Store left most part of the equation
a:=left(t);
// Store the rightmost part of the equation
c:=right(t);
// Obtain the middle part of the equation
// If exist
b:=t-a-c;
//Simplify to readable form
a:=factor(a);
b;=factor(b);
c:=factor(c);
// Complete the final equation
t:=factor(a)+factor(b)+factor(c);
// Output the answer
RETURN(t);
END;
#end
Still, I think HP/Maravia(sp?) need to urgently address all these simplification issues I've been noticing as well, as I further my self-directed math studies. Even when setting simplify to 'maximum'.

The Casio FX-CG500 will show them correctly simplified (as shown by various Youtube instructors).

Unfortunately, I can't cite specific examples, but I just know I've encountered many on the Prime - versus the Casio FX-CG500 I also have.

I'm new to CAS with these 2 calcs, but I would've thought something like simplification would be a cornerstone of a CAS system.
Reference URL's