HP Forums

Full Version: Plus42 with string and list functions in the equation language
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

For those who haven't noticed, Plus42 1.0.21 is out...

Not only Plus42 equation language has structured programming (user-defined functions with full recursion, C-style loops), and all the advanced math functions from the 42S (matrix, complex numbers, integration), but now it also has all the string and list functions (including full substring capabilities) added by Free42.

All this, seamlessly integrated with the powerful menu-based solver. And If you want even more flexibility, you can even call RPN programs from a equation! Or can an equation from a RPN program, just like the 32SII, with read access to the stack registers, like the 35S!

This makes this language one of the most powerful, flexible and elegant ever on a calculator, IHMO... way lighter and simpler than RPL!

Many tanks to Thomas Okken for his brillant work, and for his openness to accept my suggestions - like this one (strings and list functions within the equation language).

Brgds
Wow, some very serious extensions, Thomas has indeed been a busy bee...

Enabling equations to call RPN programs and vice-versa provides new levels of versatility and flexibility.

I'm not sure with all these enhancements it's way simpler than RPL, but what is still true is you don't need to use all the complexity unless you need/want it, and that is a big advantage over RPL.
(08-18-2023 06:21 PM)Vincent Weber Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,

Not only Plus42 equation language has structured programming (user-defined functions with full recursion, C-styke loops), and all the advanced math functions from the 42S (matrix, complex numbers, integration), but now it also has all the string and list functions (including full substring capabilities) added by Free42.

All this, seamlessly integrated with the powerful menu-based solver. And If you want even more flexibility, you can even call RPN programs from a equation! Or can an equation from a RPN program, just like the 32SII, with read access to the stack registers, like the 35S!

This makes this language one of the most powerful, flexible and elegant ever on a calculator, IHMO... way lighter and simpler than RPL!

Many tanks to Thomas Okken for his brillant work, and for his openness to accept my suggestions - like this one (strings and list functions within the equation language).

Brgds
This is great work from Thomas as always. I think that it would be awesome if we had a document that would showcase this advanced functionality. I think that as it is in order to take full advantage of the functionality one would need to have experience of many different calculators. If one has experience of only one of them then they will use one part of the functionality.
(08-19-2023 01:46 AM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, some very serious extensions, Thomas has indeed been a busy bee...

Enabling equations to call RPN programs and vice-versa provides new levels of versatility and flexibility.

I'm not sure with all these enhancements it's way simpler than RPL, but what is still true is you don't need to use all the complexity unless you need/want it, and that is a big advantage over RPL.
Calling Equations from RPN programs (in an performant way, with pre-parsing of equations, unlike the 32SII and 35S) and calling RPN programs from equations have been there from the first release of Plus42. What's new from yesterday is string and list support.

The big advantage over RPL is that you don't have to manage an infinite stack with DOP, OVER, ROLL... I always felt that with RPL you spend more time wondering what's on the stack than focusing on your algorithm!

And indeed, you don't have to use all this power. You can stick to simple equations. Or to the 27S/19B paradigm, just using L() and G(). Or enjoy user-defined functions, structured loops and full indirect adressing offered by Plus42. Or be crazy, and push the system to the limits, like I do - I could even emulate passing parameters with reference rather than value!

By the way, Bob, I'm still waiting for DMPlus42 Tongue

Cheers
(08-19-2023 03:39 AM)nickapos Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2023 06:21 PM)Vincent Weber Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,

Not only Plus42 equation language has structured programming (user-defined functions with full recursion, C-styke loops), and all the advanced math functions from the 42S (matrix, complex numbers, integration), but now it also has all the string and list functions (including full substring capabilities) added by Free42.

Brgds
This is great work from Thomas as always. I think that it would be awesome if we had a document that would showcase this advanced functionality. I think that as it is in order to take full advantage of the functionality one would need to have experience of many different calculators. If one has experience of only one of them then they will use one part of the functionality.
Plus42 documentation on Thomas' website is pretty clear and complete, as far as Plus42 extensions over the original 27S/19B solver go.
You just need to also have a good understating of the original 27S/19B paradigm. For this, you can read the wonderful "HP 19B/27S Technical applications". It covers the powers of the solver in full detail.
(08-19-2023 06:25 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-19-2023 03:39 AM)nickapos Wrote: [ -> ]This is great work from Thomas as always. I think that it would be awesome if we had a document that would showcase this advanced functionality. I think that as it is in order to take full advantage of the functionality one would need to have experience of many different calculators. If one has experience of only one of them then they will use one part of the functionality.
Plus42 documentation on Thomas' website is pretty clear and complete, as far as Plus42 extensions over the original 27S/19B solver go.
You just need to also have a good understating of the original 27S/19B paradigm. For this, you can read the wonderful "HP 19B/27S Technical applications". It covers the powers of the solver in full detail.

Yeah thank you very much for that reference, this is what I was after.
The Plus42 doc is quite good, but you also need to have knowledge of another 3-4 calculators to make full use of it. I have read the hp42 doc but never had the chance to look at hp19b
Reference URL's