HP Forums

Full Version: Enigma machine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. Has anyone ever tried to program an enigma machine logic in an HP calculator?
I’ve been an HP user since college but recently rediscovered it and I’m having a blast programming on it. But I am still in early stages of my programming abilities. I wondered if anyone has tried this before. I’d love to see the logic behind.

Thanks
I’ll be honest. I found that thread and I clicked a couple of those links (broken) and I gave up. The 48 Link is good. Thanks
In for a penny - in for a pound !
While the Enigma in HP41 coding would be very interesting, it was only the 1st version used by the Germans at that time (WW2). It seems that the "Lorenz" (also known as ‘Tunny’), was preferred by the German top brass for their more important secrets. HP41 code for that would be enterprising.
An interesting article on the subject can be read here.
DA
There is also an HP 49/50 version of the HP-48 program on hpcalc.org. Disclaimer: I have not tried either of them.
49G version works very nicely - Akima did a good job.
Here is a video by way of the Computer History Museum on the subject of the Colossus, recorded just after the Bletchley Park decoding efforts were declassified.

(06-27-2023 10:50 AM)derekamos Wrote: [ -> ]While the Enigma in HP41 coding would be very interesting, it was only the 1st version used by the Germans at that time (WW2). It seems that the "Lorenz" (also known as ‘Tunny’), was preferred by the German top brass for their more important secrets. HP41 code for that would be enterprising.

I am continually amazed by the feats that people here manage to accomplish with the HP-41, but I wouldn't attempt a Lorenz simulator with anything less than a 48. Smile
The Lorenz cipher had its own problems. Arne Beurling broke it one weekend but never told how.

https://people.kth.se/~haakanh/publicati...urling.pdf
It is fun to write Enigma machines.

Not for an HP calculator, but for Sharp I wrote an Enigma machine in a tiny BASIC program. I've also included links in the GitHub repo to resources that might be useful. The program accurately simulates the Enigma I machine UKW B and C with 5 rotors I to V. It has been tested with real WW2 secret messages.

[Image: PC-2500.jpeg]

- Rob
Reference URL's