HP Forums

Full Version: WP34S overlay - anyone still making ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello. Can anyone please direct me to a good source?
Thanks
Eric Rechlin used to sell the sticker sets but I don't think they're available anymore. With demand being minimal these days there may be a chance that he'll provide you with the assets for printing your own set. You can get decemt quality vinyl print on demamd for a minimal print order.

As to whether it's worth the effort, that depends on how much you feel you that really need a WP34S. It's worth knowing that the Swiss Micros WP43S is due very soon. Beta editions are already in the hands of the faithful. My personal advise would be to wait for the WP43S. Walter, Paul and a multitude of others have been woking this for a very long time. The WP43S is the calculator they wanted to create all along and it's great to see their efforts bear fruit.

In the meantime, you can download the emulator for MacOS and Windows (not sure about Linux) to get a feel for calculator before you part with any hard earned cash. :

Details of the emulator are available on the Swiss Micros forum. Apologies for not providing the link myself, I'm being rushed out the door by my partner as I write this last sentence... Smile
FYI - The WP43S will in fact not be made or sold by SwissMicros (long story... don't ask) however a spin-off project, now called C47, which uses a mostly similar set of features, but can be used with a DM42 (i.e. the keys themselves are the same locations and key label) and a different bezel (for the [f] shift functions, nearly ready for purchase) is under development. The main site for it is here:

https://47calc.com/

and news/status happens mostly here:

https://forum.swissmicros.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3448

Also, emulators for PC as well as for loading on a DM42 are available and updated on a regular basis. This project is still under development and though no specific date for a formal feature-complete version has been announced it is still quite usable even in its current form. This will be the pinnacle of RPN calculators and the dev team is open to well-thought out, reasonable requests for changes and/or enhancements.

Well-worth checking out!
Thanks for the update Bob.

I remember an offshoot from the main 43S project being led by a South African chap (apologies his name escapes me). And the key driver for his offshoot was for the key layout to be compatible with the DM42 layout.

Would I be correct to presume that C47 is in part possible through his efforts?

EDIT: Just took a quick look at the Gitlab and spied a hive of activity from @jaymo (the South African chap I alluded to above). Great to see that his many years of passionate involvement have given the 43S project a different path to market.
All correct, Jaco Mostert forked WP43 several years ago to optimize it for use on an existing DM42 as he needed a machine with a few additional features for real work, didn't want to mess with stickers on the keys, etc., etc. Since then, more and more folks checked it out and decided this approach had multiple advantages and interest swelled. In the wake of all that growth, all of the WP43S developers have joined in on the C47 team and contribute under Jaco's leadership.

The project underwent a few interim names, but eventually settled on C47, mostly to clarify it differs from the initial versions.

As you say, truly a passionate, talented and generous team, all working to create a new 'best ever' RPN machine!!
(05-14-2023 12:19 PM)grbrum Wrote: [ -> ]Hello. Can anyone please direct me to a good source?
Thanks

Send you PM.
I've been looking out for the overlay for a couple of years now so would also appreciate any information on where to get some.

Thanks

(05-14-2023 08:05 PM)Sadsilence Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-14-2023 12:19 PM)grbrum Wrote: [ -> ]Hello. Can anyone please direct me to a good source?
Thanks

Send you PM.
Thanks

I have 4 sets left, see below.

[quote='Jaco@cocoon-creations.com' pid='170012' dateline='1678479189']

I have 6 sets left. They come two sheets in a set.
However, the ones with “WP34S” top left are finished. The ones I still have, say “WP34C”, look on the photo here: https://cocoon-creations.com/download/IMG_2141.PNG.
(05-14-2023 07:31 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]The project underwent a few interim names, but eventually settled on C47, mostly to clarify it differs from the initial versions.

The plan is to support multiple layouts for variants of the hardware. So the C43 overlay, the C47, the prototype WP 43 hardware and more. If custom hardware (keyboard, face plate, dual shift) is ever a realistic possibility, there is some design work done there.

Others are far more versed than I into the nuances.
Wow, the pending new machines sound terrific! My thanks to those working so hard to make them possible!

Meanwhile, the many WP 34S conversions in use that have the nifty stickers on their keys to relabel them often end up with those stickers wearing out from use, as mine have twice now. It would be nice to be able to replace them when that happens. So there will likely be a continuing need for replacements. As we all know, PC and phone based emulations are good but an actual handheld calculator fills an otherwise unmet need, otherwise this whole forum would be moot.
I do plan to make another batch. Lately I've been sidetracked by my scanning project (finally wrapping up, after about 800 books with nearly 100,000 pages scanned), and now finally catching up on the things set aside for the last 3 years while I was scanning.

I can't promise a date, but I am hoping it won't be long.
Hooray, Eric! Thank you for your scanning work and overlays in the past. I'm looking forward to the results. Best to you!
(05-18-2023 10:47 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote: [ -> ]Lately I've been sidetracked by my scanning project (finally wrapping up, after about 800 books with nearly 100,000 pages scanned), and now finally catching up on the things set aside for the last 3 years while I was scanning.

That must have been positively mind-numbing.

(05-18-2023 10:47 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote: [ -> ]I can't promise a date, but I am hoping it won't be long.

Yes!! Looking forward to it.
I do have a DM42-turned-into-C47 and it is great, but I really remain fond of the WP34S (the superb documentation and stability of the UI at this point are important to me) and have a number of them that I keep for ready access in various locations. I hope the sticker kits remain available!
I have a set of stickers, handily already attached to a calculator, for sale in Classifieds, if anyone is interested Smile
(05-20-2023 07:27 PM)cdmackay Wrote: [ -> ]I have a set of stickers, handily already attached to a calculator, for sale in Classifieds, if anyone is interested Smile

A novel and unique approach. Selling a set of overlays, that includes a calculator accessory that happens to match, and no installation necessary. Whoda thought...
(05-20-2023 09:36 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-20-2023 07:27 PM)cdmackay Wrote: [ -> ]I have a set of stickers, handily already attached to a calculator, for sale in Classifieds, if anyone is interested Smile

A novel and unique approach. Selling a set of overlays, that includes a calculator accessory that happens to match, and no installation necessary. Whoda thought...

Smile
(05-18-2023 10:47 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote: [ -> ]I do plan to make another batch. Lately I've been sidetracked by my scanning project (finally wrapping up, after about 800 books with nearly 100,000 pages scanned), and now finally catching up on the things set aside for the last 3 years while I was scanning.

I can't promise a date, but I am hoping it won't be long.

If it helps to have more volume of pre-orders, put me down for a couple of sets.

ESPECIALLY if they are to be printed on the really nice matte finish vinyl... I might order 3-4 instead!

These overlays DO wear out with constant use, so it pays to tuck away a few in reserve so one can do the replacement at one's leisure. If we all make more people aware that new runs might be coming along (i.e. by noting not only on this forum but elsewhere), you might get a bigger volume of pre-orders that would make it more worth the effort.

(BTW, the reason I mentioned "matte finish" is that I have both a WP34s and a WP31s. The 34 has a matte overlay, but my 31's overlay is somewhat shiny... which I've discovered is VERY annoying!)
Please put me on your list. For both 34 and 31.

Thanks
Mitch W4OA
Opelika, AL
(06-03-2023 02:53 PM)johnb Wrote: [ -> ](BTW, the reason I mentioned "matte finish" is that I have both a WP34s and a WP31s. The 34 has a matte overlay, but my 31's overlay is somewhat shiny... which I've discovered is VERY annoying!)

A question for you related to this -- how glossy it is is largely determined by how thick of a layer of protective finish I put on it. Was the 31s overlay more durable than the 34s overlay? Since it was more shiny I would hope it was, because of the extra coat of spray I presumably used. If it wasn't then maybe I should save the hassle and put less clearcoat on the overlays when I resume making them (though honestly it's tricky and the vinyl I am using now is inherently slightly shinier than the vinyl I used to use).
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's