HP Forums

Full Version: Summation register behaviour for Plus42/Free42 question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys good morning.
I have a question that you might be able to help me with.
Let’s say I want to add the planes my adsb receiver has received for the last week and procure the average per day.
When I add the first number and press Σ+ in my Plus42 I am getting a message “too few arguments”
In order to register that first entry I need to double that first number in register X and Y and then Σ+ is happy.
After that first number all other numbers are entered without this behaviour. The results seem correct to me despite this behaviour so it is very likely i am missing something here.

Is this a bug or is it normal behaviour?
What am I missing here?
Thank you very much
This error message is a side effect of entering one-variable statistical data when using the Big Stack (NSTK) mode on Free42/Plus42.

To avoid this follow the instructions for One-variable statistics on page 229 of the HP-42S Owner’s Manual.

To enter one-variable statistical data (that is, x-values only), first key in a 0 for the y-value (0 ENTER) and then, for each data point:
1. Key in an x-value.
2. Press the Summation key.
(04-15-2023 05:51 AM)nickapos Wrote: [ -> ]When I add the first number and press Σ+ in my Plus42 I am getting a message “too few arguments”

Your 42 is in ALL mode, in LINEAR mode (STAT Menu) you only input x values.
(04-15-2023 07:17 AM)Peet Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-15-2023 05:51 AM)nickapos Wrote: [ -> ]When I add the first number and press Σ+ in my Plus42 I am getting a message “too few arguments”

Your 42 is in ALL mode, in LINEAR mode (STAT Menu) you only input x values.

Thanks but I checked that with linear and get the same message. I think the workaround with the 0 in Y register is a good workaround for now.
(04-15-2023 06:38 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote: [ -> ]This error message is a side effect of entering one-variable statistical data when using the Big Stack (NSTK) mode on Free42/Plus42.

To avoid this follow the instructions for One-variable statistics on page 229 of the HP-42S Owner’s Manual.

To enter one-variable statistical data (that is, x-values only), first key in a 0 for the y-value (0 ENTER) and then, for each data point:
1. Key in an x-value.
2. Press the Summation key.

Thanks Steve, this will work for sure
(04-15-2023 07:37 AM)nickapos Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks but I checked that with linear and get the same message.

Sorry, my mistake. The linear mode should be compatible with the 41, but I forgot that the 41 also has a prefilled 4 level stack. NSTK is special im many ways Smile
(04-15-2023 07:59 AM)Peet Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-15-2023 07:37 AM)nickapos Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks but I checked that with linear and get the same message.

Sorry, my mistake. The linear mode should be compatible with the 41, but I forgot that the 41 also has a prefilled 4 level stack. NSTK is special im many ways Smile

Yeah no problem it is an interesting side effect
(04-15-2023 03:10 PM)nickapos Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah no problem it is an interesting side effect

It is fixed already in Plus42 1.0.18. That was fast.
(04-17-2023 09:21 AM)johanw Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-15-2023 03:10 PM)nickapos Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah no problem it is an interesting side effect

It is fixed already in Plus42 1.0.18. That was fast.

Ha, nice one. Thomas is great
Reference URL's