HP Forums

Full Version: About DM32
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hello everyone:

More than fifteen years without writing in this forum Undecided but still using my hp calculatoros everyday at work.

I'd like to know if there is an approximate date of its market launch? I'm REALLY interested in this calculator...

Regards!
The latest information about the DM32 can be found in Michael Steinmann's answers below this dm32 preview video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqKYVa3lH6c

Last one month ago: „We're working on it, and we're getting there.“
I knew that video but never read the coments...

Thanks for your answer, Klaus.
The SwissMicros forums are the best place for info: see this post for example.
Quote:We will announce. We do not expect the actual samples back here by me before 6 weeks from now. Then only production will be approved and provided no big changes are needed, they will likely need 3 weeks for the production run. So don't hold your breath too long. Breathe ... ;-)

Edit: Oops - wrong calculator - see below.
Thank you!
(04-12-2023 06:43 AM)EdS2 Wrote: [ -> ]The SwissMicros forums are the best place for info: see this post for example.
Quote:We will announce. We do not expect the actual samples back here by me before 6 weeks from now. Then only production will be approved and provided no big changes are needed, they will likely need 3 weeks for the production run. So don't hold your breath too long. Breathe ... ;-)
Sure, that this post is related to DM32?
I thought, it ist related to the new overlays ("C47 bezel") for the C47 from far east.
Sure it is about those overlays and I haven't found news about MD32 but I didn't know the forum and I'll join soon.
(04-12-2023 11:21 AM)Thomas_Sch Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-12-2023 06:43 AM)EdS2 Wrote: [ -> ]The SwissMicros forums are the best place for info: see this post for example.
Sure, that this post is related to DM32?
I thought, it ist related to the new overlays ("C47 bezel") for the C47 from far east.

Oops, I think you're right - the C43 aka C47 is the topic there.

For the DM32, Bob says late summer (as a guess) here. (It's still the case that the SwissMicros forums are the best place to ask!)
Yessss :-) today i ordered the new DM32 in the SwissMicro Shop!
The caculator is aviable!
DM32 is more expensive than DM42! Seriously?
I understand the hardware is basically the same, but considering that the number of functions is much less than DM42, I would have anticipated a much less expensive unit. I have an HP-32SII where some of the keys have become unresponsive, and have waited for this DM32 as replacement, but at this price point this will be out of my consideration.
I wonder why SM hasn't implemented a "35s done right".
(05-17-2023 05:12 AM)KCC Wrote: [ -> ]DM32 is more expensive than DM42! Seriously?
I understand the hardware is basically the same, but considering that the number of functions is much less than DM42, I would have anticipated a much less expensive unit. I have an HP-32SII where some of the keys have become unresponsive, and have waited for this DM32 as replacement, but at this price point this will be out of my consideration.

Why would you expect it to be cheaper when there are fewer functions? That doesn't affect how much it costs to make. Actually the DM32 was surely more expensive to develop, because it had to be rewritten from scratch instead of being able to use the existing open-source Free42 code. So it makes sense that the DM32 costs more.
I'd rather Swiss Micros gets enough revenue to continue to do what they are doing. As they are the only ones doing this, I'd like them to survive. I'm sure their pricing structure is reasonable, given their costs and volumes.
"HP-35S done right" is called Plus42 Smile it has everything I wished for an HP calculator: All the 42s features, plus the important missing 41CX ones, plus equations à la 27S, that are usables within RPN programs, as on the 32SII/35S (but with much more power, more comparable to the HP-71B BASIC, with user-defined functions and full recursion ), plus 2 extra rows of keys to have important stuff handy. Plus big screen, units, graphing directories, the rocks!

Only missing feature from the 32SII/35S is the fraction mode. I have personally no use for it, but if you have to, a program can do the conversion...

So, why not putting the effort on a DMPlus42?
(05-17-2023 08:05 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote: [ -> ]"HP-35S done right" is called Plus42 Smile it has everything I wished for an HP calculator: All the 42s features, plus the important missing 41CX ones, plus equations à la 27S, that are usables within RPN programs, as on the 32SII/35S (but with much more power, more comparable to the HP-71B BASIC, with user-defined functions and full recursion ), plus 2 extra rows of keys to have important stuff handy. Plus big screen, units, graphing directories, the rocks!

Only missing feature from the 32SII/35S is the fraction mode. I have personally no use for it, but if you have to, a program can do the conversion...

So, why not putting the effort on a DMPlus42?
As a matter of fact Plus42 is now more similar to a 48 (see the Enter behaviour and the unlimited stack), but with all the difficulties of "hammering" features (UOM, Lists, Directories, etc.) that heavily rely on 48/50 data model and double shift keyboard.

It seems your dream calculator is more similar to a 48sx/gx, but with RPN instead of RPL. So, why not to develop an RPN enviroment for 48/50? At least an Hp41 emulator already exists, so it should be possible to develop a 42s Emulator:-)

Anyway, IF a multiple equation solver similar to 48/50 MES will be added to Plus42 i would surely buy it and the hypothetical DMPlus42.....
But for some reason nor the author nor SM seem interested to port Plus42 to DM platform. AFAIK
Plus42 is *not* similar to the 48 model at all.

First, the unlimited stack is only an option. I personnaly never turn it on, and keep the good old 4-level stack.

Then, the extra features such as directories are also optional. You can completely ignore them and keep to the 42 sheer simplicity - that was Thomas' goal, never harm the 42S original simplicity of operation, and he succeeded!

I once demonstrated here that even though Plus42 has only one shift key, accessing program instructions requires no more keystrokes than on a 32SII, even less in some cases, thanks to the intelligent sticky menus feature, so the claimed acessibility is not even an advantage of the 32SII over the 42S. And ROLLUP, %CH, X<>,... have dedicated keys in Plus42.

Honestly I have given it a lot of thought, and IMHO there is objectively no reason to prefer the 32SII or the 35S over Plus42, save for the fraction mode which I don't need (but I respect the fact that other people may need it).
(05-17-2023 08:05 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote: [ -> ]"HP-35S done right" is called Plus42 Smile
The 42S is conceptually quite different from the 32SII. I have no problems admitting that the 42S was more powerful, and that the additional functionalty of the 32SII might not have been implemented in a way as perfect as I wish it to be. But still its concept appeals me more, and so I was quite happy about the 35s. At least, until all those bugs were discovered. Back then I was convinced HP wouldn't leave the 35s as it was, and would present a 35sII shortly after that. We know that didn't happen, of course.

Anyway, the 42S is not made for me.

Nice SM is recreating the 32SII, but I have two of them in good shape and wouldn't invest this kind of money in a machine I already have [and that might even have the better keyboard].

Go, SM ... waiting for something I'm finally interested in.
(05-17-2023 09:03 AM)Thomas Radtke Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2023 08:05 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote: [ -> ]"HP-35S done right" is called Plus42 Smile
The 42S is conceptually quite different from the 32SII. I have no problems admitting that the 42S was more powerful, and that the additional functionalty of the 32SII might not have been implemented in a way as perfect as I wish it to be. But still its concept appeals me more, and so I was quite happy about the 35s. At least, until all those bugs were discovered. Back then I was convinced HP wouldn't leave the 35s as it was, and would present a 35sII shortly after that. We know that didn't happen, of course.

Anyway, the 42S is not made for me.

Nice SM is recreating the 32SII, but I have two of them in good shape and wouldn't invest this kind of money in a machine I already have [and that might even have the better keyboard].

Go, SM ... waiting for something I'm finally interested in.

The 42S is not only more powerful, it is also not more complicated to use and doesn't require so many more keystrokes, as the common misconception says. Accessing the programming instructions requires sometimes even less keystrokes than on the 32SII, thanks to sticky menus. There was only an accessbility problem with ROLLUP, X<>, %CH and VIEW, and the extra row of keys of Plus42 fixes that.

The big thing that 32SII/35S have than the 42 doesn't have is algebraic equations that can be used in RPN programs. Plus42 adds them, in a way more powerful and comprehensive fashion than either the 32SII or the 35S, and even the 27S/17B...
If you're an RPN diehard, the 42S (DM42) is the pinnacle of HP's RPN calculators and the 28/48/49/50 line of calculators was the point where HP went into a long and slow decline brought about by RPL! Me, I love RPL, but I won't digress other than to see bring on the DM48...

I personally love the Frankenstein's 'monster' of Plus42, but would agree that the extra options are just that - extra. One can choose to ignore them and get a pure-ish 42S experience (the -ish is strictly with regard to the original code Thomas uses, in preference to Free/Plus42 being a true emulator). Emu48 provides the emulator option if you have the firmware image. But I'll take Plus42 over Emu48's 42S experience on most given days.

Regarding the 32Sii, I always saw it as an upgrade to the 11c, but seeing as there was no true upgrade to the 15c, many consider it to be a 'warts and all' sequel to the 15c too. My view is probably colored by the fact that I was a secondary school student when the 11/15c calculators were on the market and I barely convinced my mother to purchase an 11c for me. The 15c and 41 line of calculators were most definitely out of reach luxuries I could only dream of owning (she also forked out on a BBC Model B computer for me around the same time so I was super grateful for what I got).

With regards to the positioning of the 32Sii back in the day, my favorite aspects of Educalc's advert promoting the 32Sii was the line "New Algebratized Model", and "Modern vertical design with the Sleek Efficiency of a New German Car". Beyond the crimes against the 'code of copywriters' rule-book, you can see which side the Educalc folk buttered their bread quite clearly when it came to positioning the 32Sii. Add to that, "Algebraic HP Solve", "Algebraic Equation Entry" and "HP EQUATION SOLVER - solutions without programming" - they definitely had a particular customer segment in mind, vs the typical potential customer for the 42S (41 customers who could easily forgive HP for the lack of IO and expansion options in the 42s).

Coming back to the DM32. I simply can't see why I would pay a premium for a student calculator when I already own both a 32S and 32Sii. Sure, the DM32, 32Sii simulation is running on excellent hardware, But with a student calculator whose main characteristic benefits were based around convenience, I don't really care about the maximum speed of the processor. On the rare occasions I pick up a 32, it tends to be the 32S as I appreciate the simple elegance of the face-plate, and I'm literally wanting a simple calculator for nothing more than e.g. doing a few sums whilst DIY-ing or suchlike.

At CHF: 149 I probably would have purchased a DM32. Not that I need it, but I appreciate that SwissMicros are producing these esoteric calculators for a relatively small universe of potential customers.

I actually believe that SwissMicros might have had a sleeper cross-over hit with the DM32, as it's a perfect entry level RPN calculator; and one that's relevant to a contemporary students needs. The nearest modern calculator that matches the DM32 is the Casio fx-991EX (UK Model), but the Casio can do far more from a built in functions perspective, for 1/5th of theDM32 list price. However, the Casio is missing three critical aspect of the DM32, it doesn't have a functional stack, it isn't RPN and it isn't programmable. An IB or A-level student (16-18) won't be able to use a DM32 in exams but they would be able to use it in the classroom - it might even deepen their relationship with their Mathematics teacher. But I can't see a current student wanting to shell out fives times the cost, for the DM32. Not when the HP Prime is available for at least $100 less. But, at the right price, the DM32 could easily be the iconoclastic calculator choice, for the student that realizes it's mix of RPN and Algebraic options provides them with more accessible firepower than the Prime or Casio (and having a standout calculator means a lot to the average 16-18 year-old, if my kids are anything to go by).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's