HP Forums

Full Version: HP49-50G BOLD characters while writing prog with EMU48
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sometimes, when writing or editing a program with EMU48 (HP50G), I suppose that I touch a wrong key or sequence of keys.

Then the following text inside the program appears to be written in bold.

Precision:
The added / inserted text is put in a place where, previously, no bound characters was present.

It seems that, involuntary I use a shortcut to get the following characters to be written in bold.

Does somebody have an idea about that possible shortcut?
Or what my be happening?

Regards,
Gil
The bold style for 50g strings is turned on or off by the presence of a specific byte sequence in the string. In particular, the byte values 19, 1, 19 toggle the bold status.

So something that you're doing is resulting in bytes with ordinal values of 19, 1, and 19 being inserted into the text at the beginning of the position where the bold text starts.

What platform are you running the emulator on? Is it possible that some kind of keyboard macro is active?
Just saw your reply.

I use EMU48 with a A53 Samsung phone.
Suggestion possible, but strange that, while typing in a program, the sequence 19 CHR 1 CHR 19 CHR might have been typed.

It happened a few times, but impossible to reproduce, as I don't know what I was typing when the "bolding" occurred. Sure to 99% that I was in alpha-locked mode.

By the way, is 19 CHR 1 CHR 19 CHR somewhere documented?

Regards,
Gil
(02-06-2023 09:50 AM)Gil Wrote: [ -> ]It happened a few times, but impossible to reproduce, as I don't know what I was typing when the "bolding" occurred. Sure to 99% that I was in alpha-locked mode.

Not sure this is what you meant, but you can put "styles" (including bold text) into a string as you type it by exiting alpha-locked mode, then pressing TOOL, NXT, NXT, STYLE. The soft keys will show the available styles (Bold, Italic, Underline, Inverted, and Font Selector). Very useful when entering literal strings into a program; you can avoid all that "19 CHR" stuff, and put the bold characters (and/or other styles) directly into the program.
It's what I always use, yes, when I am finished with the normal writing : I select then, with "begin / end", the part to be put in bold.

However, as I explained above, when "normally" typing letters, sometimes they start all of them to appear in bold, without having entered the submenu TOOL/STYLE.

In a way, that is still faster than the TOOL/STYLE menu, but I should be able to reproduce it when wished — which is not the case.

I think it is a kind of bug, but an interesting one, that could be used as a shortcut. Unfortunately, no way to know what were the touched keys before "my character writing".
It's what I always use, yes, when I am finished with the normal writing : I select then, with "begin / end", the part to be put in bold.

However, how I explained above, when "normally" typing alpha-characters/explanations inside the program, sometimes they start all of them to appear in bold, without having entered the submenu TOOL/STYLE.

In a way, that is still faster than the TOOL/STYLE menu, but I should be able to reproduce it when wished — which is not the case.

I think it is a kind of bug, but an interesting one, that could be used as a shortcut. Unfortunately, no way to know what were the touched keys before "my character writing".

This strange behaviour occurred perhaps 5 to 10 times, noting that all my programs were written on a phone via EMU48.
Reference URL's