HP Forums

Full Version: Problem Solver has with simple equation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There is an equation in chemistry that relates the energy of an electron in an orbital with quantum number n in a hydrogen atom. The equation is E_n = E_n1/(n^2) with E_n1 = -2.18E-18. When I compute this on the Home screen with, say, n=4, it immediately displays the result: -1.3625E-19. However, when I enter that equation in the solver, and in the numbers screen have -2.18E-18 in the En1 field and 4 in the n field, and move to the En field and select Solve, the calculator battery symbol changes to an hourglass like it's crunching through a very complex calculation. After a few minutes, I just aborted the calculation. Why does the Solver app have such a problem with such a simple equation?

Additional information: The Solver seems to have problems with negative exponents greater than or equal 10. If I set X = 2.2E-9 and n = 4 and set up the equation Y = X/(n^2), when I click Solve, it immediately solves the problem. However, if I set X = 2.2E-10 and run the same equation, the Solver gets locked up in an hourglass situation and can't solve the problem in a reasonable amount of time. BTW, I have found the same problem using the Virtual Calculator.
I can't reproduce your problem, my both Primes solve your 2nd task in no time, Y=1.375E-11, both use newest firmware (2021 11 25) and so it must have to do with your settings. I even tried n and N in the solver-app.
Arno
Very strange! BTW, my version number is 2.1.14603 (2021 12 02) which seems to be a later version that (2021 11 25). Maybe they broke something in the newer version. For number format, I have tried Standard, Fixed, Scientific, Engineering, and Floating. For entry, I have tried Textbook, Algebraic, and RPN. The problem always remains.
I can reproduce the error with the emulator version 2021 06 09 and on the handheld version 2021 12 02.
Thank you, Roadrunner.
Those are the versions I have of both items.
Glad to see someone else could reproduce the problem.
One way around this problem is to define a function to perform the operation instead of using the Solver. For example, I created the function ElectronEnergy as -2.18E-18/n^2 with n as the input variable. Running ElectronEnergy(4) correctly and immediately produces the answer:
-1.3625E-19. Of course, to replace the Solver equation En = -2.18E-18/n^2, one would have to create two functions: one that computes En with n as the input (shown above) and the other that computes n with En as the input, such as a function called QuantumLevel as SQRT(-2.1E-18/En) with En as the input variable.
Reference URL's