HP Forums

Full Version: HP 48GX ROM Dump
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to install the Emu48 version 1.64 on my Windows 8.1, 64 bit PC, however this requires a ROM dump.
https://www.opennet.ru/docs/FAQ/OS/HP/part1.html mentions the ROMDump Wizard by Christoph Giesselink.
<http://privat.swol.de/ChristophGiesselink/> does not exist or is not available. I've never done a ROM dump before, and I'm looking for some guidance.
No need to do a ROM dump. The 48 SX/GX Roms can be downloaded from here, https://transnull.com/wp/
(07-20-2022 10:47 PM)Richard Garner Wrote: [ -> ]The 48 SX/GX Roms can be downloaded from here, https://transnull.com/wp/

Thank you, Richard! I went for the HP-48GX revision R ROM. How do I attach it to the Emu48?
(07-20-2022 10:47 PM)Richard Garner Wrote: [ -> ]No need to do a ROM dump. The 48 SX/GX Roms can be downloaded from here, https://transnull.com/wp/

Also from hpcalc.org

To quote from the link above: HP graciously began allowing this to be downloaded in mid-2000.

This also applies to all models from the 48S to the 50g, but unfortunately not to the HP28.
Copy the ROM to the folder that Emu48 is installed in. You will need to rename the ROM to rom.48g. When you run the program it will ask you to select a KML Script. It should have one already chosen as defalt. Click on ok and it should bring up the emukator. The select a KML Script came be turned off later if you wish. Additional Skins with KML Scripts can be fpound at hpcalc.org.
(07-20-2022 11:53 PM)MNH Wrote: [ -> ]How do I attach it to the Emu48?

To add to Richard's post, since it's not straightforward with that emulator:
  • I downloaded Emu48 version 1.64 from here
  • the rom location has been mentioned above
  • I installed Emu48
  • I placed the rom dump file rom.48g into a subdirectory ROM
  • Jemac's Gx skin suits me best, I edited JEMAC.KML and changed the "Rom" line to: Rom "ROM/rom.48g" (not necessary if you place the dump in the main directory with the same name, but I find it messy)
  • I launched Emu48.exe (it may complain if it was installed before, unfortunately its settings are in the registry and unique to all versions and flavours)
  • I selected Current KML Script: Jemac's Gx

This launch the emulator with the proper rom and skin. From there,
  • File / Save As... and I saved the state into 48g.e48 (in the installation directory)
  • I created a shortcut (in my PATH so I can launch it from the keyboard, it's optional) with the Target: (installation directory)\EMU48.EXE 48g.e48

From there, the shortcut launches the proper calculator directly without having to choose the script each time.
Hope it helps.

Note that if you want to install Emu49 for the HP-50g emulator, it conflicts with Emu48 so you have to choose one of them. Each is only compatible with their respective calculator's ROM dump and KML script, but both share the same registry settings. Undecided At least that's what I experienced, I didn't bother but I suppose it's possible to find the sources to fix this.
(07-21-2022 04:26 AM)Richard Garner Wrote: [ -> ]Copy the ROM to the folder that Emu48 is installed in. You will need to rename the ROM to rom.48g. When you run the program it will ask you to select a KML Script. It should have one already chosen as defalt. Click on ok and it should bring up the emukator. The select a KML Script came be turned off later if you wish. Additional Skins with KML Scripts can be fpound at hpcalc.org.

When you just rename the gxrom-r to rom.48g and start a HP48GX self test you will get an IROM 05E61 FAIL 00002 error.

This is a problem of all HP48 ROM images and the HP38G image at hpcalc.org. When you call the convert.exe utility from the Emu48 package with one file argument to verify the ROM image, you will get an OK for all ROM images. Basically, the topic "HP48 emulation" is quite very old, also the methods of creating a ROM image. So there're exists many ROM formats for different purposes. The convert.exe utility was designed to analyse the HP48 ROM input format, convert the input file into an internal format ROM and verify the internal format for correct CRC's.

In the case of the gxrom-r file, the ROM at the mapped I/O register area still contain the I/O memory data from the upload which is reponsible for the IROM 05E61 fail. Using the convert.exe utility with a 2nd file argument, convert.exe creates an unpacked ROM image file in a suitable Emu48 format.

convert.exe gxrom-r ROM.48G

The unpacked ROM format is the ROM format Emu48 is internally using and in the case of a 48G-series ROM it has a size of 1024KB. Later versions of Emu48 also accepted a packed ROM format with a 48g-series ROM size of 512KB.

To generate such a file from gxrom-r you may call

convert.exe gxrom-r ROM.TMP
emu2rom.exe ROM.TMP ROM.48G

The resulting file ROM.48G is very similar to the gxrom-r file, only the I/O register area are is filled with Zeros. This ROM file don't cause a selftest error.

A forthcoming convert.exe version in the Emu48 v1.65 distribution allows to create a packed ROM image file directly:

convert.exe -p gxrom-r ROM.48G

In the case of the gxrom-p ROM file from

HP 48GX Revision P ROM
https://www.hpcalc.org/details/4369

the gxrom-p file will not work after renaming to ROM.48G because in this file the nibbles in a byte are swapped and so gxrom-p isn't a valid packed ROM image file for Emu48.

Using

convert.exe gxrom-p ROM.TMP
emu2rom.exe ROM.TMP ROM.48G

create a valid packed revision P G-series ROM image.

The file emu2rom.exe is part of my https://hp.giesselink.com/Pcuti/FILETOOL.ZIP package.
(07-21-2022 09:10 AM)redglyph Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-20-2022 11:53 PM)MNH Wrote: [ -> ]How do I attach it to the Emu48?

To add to Richard's post, since it's not straightforward with that emulator:

[*]I downloaded Emu48 version 1.64 from here
[*]the rom location has been mentioned above
[*]I installed Emu48
[*]I placed the rom dump file rom.48g into a subdirectory ROM
[*]Jemac's Gx skin suits me best, I edited JEMAC.KML and changed the "Rom" line to:

Create a subdirectory like this? C:\Program Files (x86)\HP-Emulators\Emu48\ROM\gxrom-p

When I tried to edit JEMAC.KML, Google Earth Pro was launched. Now what?
(08-01-2022 12:55 AM)MNH Wrote: [ -> ]When I tried to edit JEMAC.KML, Google Earth Pro was launched. Now what?

Since you have Google Earth installed, it's claimed the file association for ".kml"

In order to edit the file, either:
Open notepad first, then open the file.
Or right click on the file, and choose "open with",
Then choose notepad.
(08-01-2022 08:25 AM)ctrclckws Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-01-2022 12:55 AM)MNH Wrote: [ -> ]When I tried to edit JEMAC.KML, Google Earth Pro was launched. Now what?

Since you have Google Earth installed, it's claimed the file association for ".kml"

In order to edit the file, either:
Open notepad first, then open the file.
Or right click on the file, and choose "open with",
Then choose notepad.

I edited JEMAC.KML and changed the "Rom" line to: Rom "ROM/rom.48g" as instructed by redglyph. I launched Emu48.exe from the desktop icon. Jemac's Gx was not in the drop-down list. I prefer Casey's Real Gx. What should I do to make it work?
(08-02-2022 12:51 AM)MNH Wrote: [ -> ]I edited JEMAC.KML and changed the "Rom" line to: Rom "ROM/rom.48g" as instructed by redglyph. I launched Emu48.exe from the desktop icon. Jemac's Gx was not in the drop-down list. I prefer Casey's Real Gx. What should I do to make it work?

Mostly for sure you created the filename "JEMAC.KML.txt"at saving. Another possible reason, you may have a syntax error in the Global section of the KML script.
(08-04-2022 12:14 AM)Christoph Giesselink Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2022 12:51 AM)MNH Wrote: [ -> ]I edited JEMAC.KML and changed the "Rom" line to: Rom "ROM/rom.48g" as instructed by redglyph. I launched Emu48.exe from the desktop icon. Jemac's Gx was not in the drop-down list. I prefer Casey's Real Gx. What should I do to make it work?

Mostly for sure you created the filename "JEMAC.KML.txt"at saving. Another possible reason, you may have a syntax error in the Global section of the KML script.

I just realized that the Emu48 version 1.65 is for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/XP. I'm using Windows 10, and I successfully installed and executed the Emu48 20th Anniversary version 1.59. I'm using Jemac's Gx KML script.

Is it possible to replace the key label above the MTH key with another label? Ultimately, I would like to replace almost all of the key labels with my own labels. I would also like to create an overlay of a different color with those labels. Would the overlay be called a faceplate or a skin? I found your KML 2.0 Docs Release 22 on hpcalc.org. Perhaps that could get me started. Could you give me an example on how to change a key label? Thank you for your persistent help!
(08-04-2022 10:58 PM)MNH Wrote: [ -> ]I just realized that the Emu48 version 1.65 is for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/XP. I'm using Windows 10, and I successfully installed and executed the Emu48 20th Anniversary version 1.59. I'm using Jemac's Gx KML script.

Is it possible to replace the key label above the MTH key with another label? Ultimately, I would like to replace almost all of the key labels with my own labels. I would also like to create an overlay of a different color with those labels. Would the overlay be called a faceplate or a skin? I found your KML 2.0 Docs Release 22 on hpcalc.org. Perhaps that could get me started. Could you give me an example on how to change a key label? Thank you for your persistent help!

Apparently it has just been updated, indeed.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I was about to install the new version but first I wanted to find an update log to see the changes. I found a "patch" to apply to the previous 1.64 version but it triggered my anti-virus protection, so for now I'm staying clear of this new version 1.65 until I'm sure it's legit and safe. I don't see a reason to change anyway, except if it stores its settings elsewhere than in the registry for all versions (since it makes it impossible to use it for both the 48 and the 50g). It works fine for me.

And I just found a site with the change log (not helpful for users), and more importantly, the previous version 1.64:

https://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/...29064.html
(08-05-2022 10:11 PM)redglyph Wrote: [ -> ]Apparently it has just been updated, indeed.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I was about to install the new version but first I wanted to find an update log to see the changes. I found a "patch" to apply to the previous 1.64 version but it triggered my anti-virus protection, so for now I'm staying clear of this new version 1.65 until I'm sure it's legit and safe. I don't see a reason to change anyway, except if it stores its settings elsewhere than in the registry for all versions (since it makes it impossible to use it for both the 48 and the 50g). It works fine for me.

And I just found a site with the change log (not helpful for users), and more importantly, the previous version 1.64:

https://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/...29064.html

No need to hunt for new EMU48 releases, pkgs, etc. they are all available at the author, Christoph Giesselink's website:

https://hp.giesselink.com/emu48.htm
(08-05-2022 11:16 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]No need to hunt for new EMU48 releases, pkgs, etc. they are all available at the author, Christoph Giesselink's website:

https://hp.giesselink.com/emu48.htm

I know, but as I said I was looking for the previous release and a change log, since the new version seems to have a few problems.
There are no problems with the new version. Your antivirus software is just broken.
(08-06-2022 10:23 AM)redglyph Wrote: [ -> ]I know, but as I said I was looking for the previous release and a change log, since the new version seems to have a few problems.

All prior versions of Emu48 (as well as any other file) can be downloaded from hpcalc.org as long as you are signed-in.

And indeed, as Eric says, the malware claims are false-positives from your AV/Security software, please download it again and override it, telling it the file is OK. It will eventually learn the files are OK.
Reference URL's