HP Forums

Full Version: WP34s Programming Cable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'm getting into the WP34s (kind of late, I know). And I thought I document my temporary programming cable. Here it is:

[attachment=47]

It's not much. Basically, it's a CA-42 cell phone programming cable with the end cut off. I soldered the three wires (TX, RX, Gnd) to a breakaway header and used some Cat 5 wires to contact the programming pads. These CA-42 cables are quite cheap from China. I had several from another project. They use the fake Prolific chips and have a 3.3 V output. These chips can be a problem if you don't have the right driver, but I've had good luck with the driver mentioned in this post:

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php...15#p186150

Here's a picture of the cable in action:

[attachment=48]

It is kind of fiddly. All this is temporary. I'm ordering the parts to build Katie Wasserman's cable connector. But I thought I'd show how simple it can be. I hope the pictures show up. I haven't tried this before.
If anyone is interested in how I programmed my WP34s for $4 and almost no fiddling around, here it is:

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/29...b-to-wp34s
Nice!
Nice description. Smile Enjoy your new calculator!

d:-)
Now ad the IR AND TIMER!

That makes it extremely compatable with the 41 c in utility. It really is a fantastic machine. Can't wait for the 43, really, can 't wait, really!
Does the timer add a real time clock that keeps time even with the calculator off, or is it just a stopwatch kind of thing?
(12-29-2013 06:24 PM)dewster Wrote: [ -> ]Does the timer add a real time clock that keeps time even with the calculator off ... ?
Yes, it does.

OK, y'all convinced me to add the XTAL (scroll down):

Having no printer I didn't see a need to install the LED.

Thanks to everyone who worked on this awesome project!
(12-29-2013 08:31 PM)dewster Wrote: [ -> ]OK, y'all convinced me to add the XTAL (scroll down):

Nice documentation again. FYI, there is a file created 18 months ago:

http://sourceforge.net/p/wp34s/code/3366..._diode.pdf

which is quoted in the WP 34S manual. Wink

(12-29-2013 08:31 PM)dewster Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks to everyone who worked on this awesome project!
You are welcome Smile
Ok, I'm convinced. I'm going to install the crystal too. But I don't think I can use the LED either, unless there's some cunning way to use it without the printer.
(12-29-2013 10:29 PM)StephenR0 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, I'm convinced. I'm going to install the crystal too. But I don't think I can use the LED either, unless there's some cunning way to use it without the printer.

Talk to your TV. I/O with some older laptops. Well, data to laptop.
If there's a simple way to capture the ir print output to file, I might be interested.
"FYI, there is a file created 18 months ago" - walter b

Thanks! Yes, I should have mentioned that as I used it as a reference when adding the crystal & caps. I'll add your link to my post.

I'm kind of new here, are you the same Walter who worked on the HP34s? If so, I want to thank you very much for providing this project to the engineering public for free!
Yes, he's the same Walter. I'm the same Pauli and Marcus lurks around here too. As do the other helpers and workers -- Eric, Neil, etc.

- Pauli
(12-30-2013 11:26 PM)Paul Dale Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, he's the same Walter. I'm the same Pauli and Marcus lurks around here too. As do the other helpers and workers -- Eric, Neil, etc.
Thanks so much guys!
(12-31-2013 12:45 AM)dewster Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks so much guys!

You're welcome Smile

(12-30-2013 11:26 PM)Paul Dale Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, he's the same Walter. I'm the same Pauli and Marcus lurks around here too. As do the other helpers and workers -- Eric, Neil, etc.

- Pauli
I ordered a Prime (arrived for Xmas) and while waiting, discovered the WP 34s which I ordered from the US. I am very excited by it (more so than by the Prime which I'm still struggling with, for many reasons). I have used the simulator and find it fascinating. I'm VERY impressed by the quality and hard work that has gone into the calculator and the manual is very good quality too. It seems that the WP 34s will be my everyday calculator of choice.

Many thanks for all your work.

Definitely interested in the 43s. One question, do you have any idea of what hardware might be used?

Best regards
(12-31-2013 07:22 PM)Robin Karpeta Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely interested in the 43s. One question, do you have any idea of what hardware might be used?

Best regards

Have a look here.
dewster,

here is a short list of contributors (from the top of my head):
  1. Walter, design and documentation
  2. Pauli, Math and overall software design
  3. Marcus (me), first emulator, hardware port, software design
  4. Neil, PC assembler tools
  5. Eric (Rechlin), overlays
  6. Pascal, cross platform emulator ports

There are various other contributors but I do not recall all the names.
(01-03-2014 11:36 AM)Marcus von Cube Wrote: [ -> ]dewster,

here is a short list of contributors (from the top of my head):
  1. Walter, design and documentation
  2. Pauli, Math and overall software design
  3. Marcus (me), first emulator, hardware port, software design
  4. Neil, PC assembler tools
  5. Eric (Rechlin), overlays
  6. Pascal, cross platform emulator ports

There are various other contributors but I do not recall all the names.
I bow to all of you - thank you very much for your efforts!
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's