HP Forums

Full Version: HP Prime G2 and CAS cosmetics (cube root)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I am new to this forum.
I got a new HP Prime G2. Nice machine!
Already updated it to SW version: 2.1.14603 (2021 12 02)
(HW ver. D; CAS v1.5.0; OS V2.060.650)

I have a question about CAS display output.
In the HOME settings I have "Textbook Display" and "Intelligent Math" checked.
In CAS, Square Roots display very nice in input and output,
but cube roots display as fractions (i.e. 1/3).

The question is if this is working as designed (written),
or if am I doing something wrong, missing an option/combination.
To be more clear, I can enter a cube root (Shift+Xy) where the "3" is left of the radical sign, but the output is alwasy in fraction format.

Comments and/or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
I can't seem to replicate what you're describing.

Would you mind posting a screenshot of the settings pages for Home and CAS, as well as one showing the fractional display behavior?
(01-12-2022 09:46 AM)IHarwell Wrote: [ -> ]I can't seem to replicate what you're describing.

Would you mind posting a screenshot of the settings pages for Home and CAS, as well as one showing the fractional display behavior?

Shift Home Settings, page down, Textbook Display: ON
[Image: nthroot-1.png]

Shift Home Settings, page down, Textbook Display: OFF
[Image: nthroot-b.png]
Thank you for the reply.
The requested settings information:
[attachment=10275][attachment=10276]
[attachment=10277][attachment=10278]

The reported problem:
[attachment=10279]
Of course (3 * 7^(1/3) ) / 2 is the correct answer,
but I wonder if this "cube root" could be displayed nicer.

Thank you beforehand for your comments and suggestions.
I'm not sure how to get it to show the root form with numbers. I would be surprised if there were a way based on what I found looking into the issue.

This also happens with the official build of xcas that the HP Prime uses. While the Prime has a custom formatting system that sits on top of xcas, they probably missed this case since xcas gives very different answers for these two cases.

** For any HP programmers out there **
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd probably check the textbook formatting algorithm to make sure it looks for "1/_" form exponents as well as the xcas "surd" or "NTHROOT" function and displays them as nth roots.

In the case of "1/_", it should probably revert to "NTHROOT" form when the "_" is either a symbolic leaf, a constant, or an integer/integer-like number. This would probably need a new option to control the behavior, though.
Reference URL's