HP Forums

Full Version: Strange bug in HP prime Virtual
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I found this strange bug in HP Prime App for iOS and in HP Prime Virtual Calculator in Windows

[Image: hYnX2WZ.png]

Is it the same on the real calculator?
Getting the same answer both on HW G2 calc and in Android Prime pro.
It is adding the 58/3 from above to the answer (1334/69). Why?
Seems to think it should simplify (ans + 58/3).
…that is, the new answer + 58/3.
Every subsequent press of enter adds another 58/3 to the result.
I don’t think this is a bug. Pressing ENTER repeats the previous command. Pressing Simplify simplifies the previous result and displays it, without the need to press enter.
So pressing Simplify followed by ENTER displays the simplified result first, and then repeats the previous command. Since the previous command here involves Ans, the two results are different.

Nigel (UK)
(12-04-2021 10:22 AM)Nigel (UK) Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t think this is a bug. Pressing ENTER repeats the previous command. Pressing Simplify simplifies the previous result and displays it, without the need to press enter.
So pressing Simplify followed by ENTER displays the simplified result first, and then repeats the previous command. Since the previous command here involves Ans, the two results are different.

Nigel (UK)

Thanks Nigel, it's a good explanation.
(12-04-2021 10:22 AM)Nigel (UK) Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t think this is a bug. Pressing ENTER repeats the previous command. Pressing Simplify simplifies the previous result and displays it, without the need to press enter.

That does appear to be what is happening, and it would make sense if the command had been simplify(ans). But since the command was simplify(1370/69), then I would describe this as being "unexpected behavior."
I was wondering how this thread would evolve…

My first impression is that “simplify” here might not be a “command”. It would seem useful (/ not too strange) to have simplifications not affect operations (beyond simplifying their expression). Unfortunately, “simplify(…)” is showing up on the left, looking like a command… (One might press Enter Enter Enter… think — oh, that could be simplified — press simplify, and resume pressing Enter Enter Enter…)

… and, moreover, selecting prior history items and tapping simplify does indeed affect operations (as the entry brought down, simplified, is what will be taken for Ans if Enter is used to repeat a command — unlike if a history element is copied as Enter will then copy the copied element).

Perhaps some UI adjustment is warranted here… (to clarify simplification actions, perhaps even to emphasize when, and how, Ans is playing a role).
Reference URL's