HP Forums

Full Version: UK Numeracy Test
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Various levels of numeracy, exemplified by this test:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree...hs-problem
(07-03-2014 02:47 PM)Gerald H Wrote: [ -> ]Various levels of numeracy, exemplified by this test:

Oh lord! At this point 6% have answered the question incorrectly.
No comment beyond this:
(07-03-2014 03:58 PM)walter b Wrote: [ -> ]No comment beyond this:

Plato is correct. Thaumazein is the sole domain of the philosopher. Apparently, the rest just watch TV and play on the Twitter.
(07-03-2014 03:58 PM)walter b Wrote: [ -> ]No comment beyond this...

Which Google Translate turns into this:
"Lesser gar philosopher This passion, thafmazein: th gar other authority the same philosophy."

I would say not worse than 7 * 8 = 54
(07-03-2014 05:26 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote: [ -> ]

Which Google Translate turns into this:
"Lesser gar philosopher This passion, thafmazein: th gar other authority the same philosophy."

This is sort of like having Google translate between Old English and modern French.

An adequate translation is:

For this is an experience which is characteristic of a philosopher, this wondering: this is where philosophy begins and nowhere else.

--Theaetetus 155d
(07-03-2014 02:47 PM)Gerald H Wrote: [ -> ]Various levels of numeracy, exemplified by this test:

Thanks God somebody gave us the Net!
There's a page where you can find the answer... Dodgy
(07-03-2014 05:26 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote: [ -> ]Which Google Translate turns into this:

Tss, tss, google translate ... Confused Poor old Plato Sad
Just read it and you'll see instead:

Wahrlich nämlich (ist) dies des Philosophen (Haupt-) Eigenschaft, das Staunen (bzw. sich Wundern): es gibt nämlich keinen anderen Anfang der Philosophie als diesen.

Or let me try in English:

Really, this (is) the philosopher's (primary) virtue, the wondering: there's no other starting point of philosophy than this.

d:-)

Edit: It sounds like this for German readers: "Mala gar filosofu tuto to pathos, to thaumazein: u gar allä archä filosofias ä autä." FWIW.
Edit 2: Replaced an English word.
(07-03-2014 05:26 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote: [ -> ]

I almost answered 48, but then I realized they were talking base 10, not 12 :-)
Please let me add that at Plato's time, "philosophy" could also mean science in general. And "ἀρχὴ" can be translated as "origin" as well. I think he really brought it to the point in his sentence: no science without wondering.

Back to topic now Wink

(07-04-2014 04:29 AM)walter b Wrote: [ -> ]Please let me add that at Plato's time, "philosophy" could also mean science in general. And "ἀρχὴ" can be translated as "origin" as well. I think he really brought it to the point in his sentence: no science without wondering.

Back to topic now Wink

Back to the Greek for a moment:

For the Greek "pathos" I prefer "passion" or "Leidenschaft", as both capture the ideas of suffering & enthusiasm.
Reference URL's