HP Forums

Full Version: What are changes in V41 Ver 9G?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@Christoph - I see that rev 9G of V41 has been released on TOS, but there are no Release Notes about changes in the new version in either .zip file, in TOS Library area, or TOS Forum or your website; so what has changed?
(11-20-2021 08:27 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]@Christoph - I see that rev 9G of V41 has been released on TOS, but there are no Release Notes about changes in the new version in either .zip file, in TOS Library area, or TOS Forum or your website; so what has changed?

A lot. :)

On V41 use "Help/Usage..." or link on manual on my V41 page to open the Help.txt file.

At the end of the English section, you will find what you're looking for.
(11-22-2021 06:58 PM)Christoph Giesselink Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2021 08:27 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]@Christoph - I see that rev 9G of V41 has been released on TOS, but there are no Release Notes about changes in the new version in either .zip file, in TOS Library area, or TOS Forum or your website; so what has changed?

A lot. Smile

On V41 use "Help/Usage..." or link on manual on my V41 page to open the Help.txt file.

At the end of the English section, you will find what you're looking for.

Thanks Christoph! I looked in the top couple pages of the help file, then used my new mouse feature to 'throw' the cursor well down the page and found myself in another language, and gave up prematurely. I don't recall seeing these detailed version notes until now, thanks for this reply and also for the detailed notes!

Most are bugs I've never seen, others will take more time to understand, but can you please clarify the changes in the HEPAX .mod files:

- Fixed Advanced HEPAX HepaxAdv.mod file, page definition of
"HEP-ADV-RAM2" and "HEP-ADV-RAM3" was wrong
- Changed HEP-MEM.MOD and HEP-2MEM.MOD, added RAM size to the module title

Are these changes unique to V41 use, or are these changes to correct fundamental errors in the .mod files, which new fixed versions can be used in other emulators (e.g. DM41X)?
(11-22-2021 10:00 PM)rproseri Wrote: [ -> ]Most are bugs I've never seen, others will take more time to understand, but can you please clarify the changes in the HEPAX .mod files:

- Fixed Advanced HEPAX HepaxAdv.mod file, page definition of
"HEP-ADV-RAM2" and "HEP-ADV-RAM3" was wrong
- Changed HEP-MEM.MOD and HEP-2MEM.MOD, added RAM size to the module title

Are these changes unique to V41 use, or are these changes to correct fundamental errors in the .mod files, which new fixed versions can be used in other emulators (e.g. DM41X)?

From the German Cursor magazine 88_2-3 the HEPAX modules were sold in different flavors:

HEPAX OS (never seen)
Standard HEPAX with OS and 2 QROM pages (HEAPAX.MOD)
Advanced HEPAX with OS and 4 QROM pages (HEPAXADV.MOD)
HEPAX Memory with 2 QROM pages (HEP-MEM.MOD)
HEPAX Double Memory with 4 QROM pages (HEP-2MEM.MOD)

The V41 distribution package contain the .MOD files HEAPAX.MOD, HEP-MEM.MOD and HEP-2MEM.MOD since ever, but because of V41 bugs in the HEPAX implementation they can be used since R9E.

The HEPAXADV.MOD file was added in the R9F distribution with wrong definition of the additional 2 QROM pages causing a configuration error at MOD file loading. I'm not sure if the 1st HEPAXADV.MOD implementation ever worked.

The prior memory .mod files HEP-MEM.MOD and HEP-2MEM.MOD are fully working but when you had a look at "File/Edit..." both modules are shown as "HEPAX Memory Module" in the list box. The current HEP-MEM.MOD and HEP-2MEM.MOD files are shown as "HEPAX Memory Module 8K" and "HEPAX Memory Module 16K" now.

I don't know how good or bad the HEPAX support in DM41X is, so I don't know if these MOD files are working in DM41X. But its worth to read the section

--------------------------------------
.MOD files with QROM

in the V41 Help.txt file about a general design problem with QROM in MOD files.
(11-22-2021 11:32 PM)Christoph Giesselink Wrote: [ -> ][snip]
I don't know how good or bad the HEPAX support in DM41X is, so I don't know if these MOD files are working in DM41X. But its worth to read the section

.MOD files with QROM

in the V41 Help.txt file about a general design problem with QROM in MOD files.

Thanks for these comments, Christoph I understand much better now.

HEPAX support is full in the DM41X, the only missing 'feature' is the ability to write .mod files to Flash after filling them with FOCAL programs or ROM images (coming in the future).

Thanks for the extensive new notes and comments on QROM and it's subtleties. And especially for noting the installer may overwrite .mod files, so it's good practice to save those before upgrading, if you've added some content in the HRAM pages.

Thanks!
Reference URL's