HP Forums

Full Version: Is 32SII programming FOCAL?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My DM41X is on the way and I am looking forward to playing with it. I have enjoyed 35s, 42s, 32sii. The programming seem very similar for casual use. So is 32sii full FOCAL, subset of FOCAL, or not FOCAL at all?
What is FOCAL ?
(11-14-2021 02:49 PM)Albert Chan Wrote: [ -> ]What is FOCAL ?

Forty One Calculator Language
No, rather RPN Keystroke like HP67. An important element that is missing would be e.g. alphanumeric labels. A major innovation of the 41 programming (FOCAL) was that your own programs could then be used like internal commands. e.g. the 41 has no hyperbolic functions but if you write a program "LBL SINH" you could use this like internal functions even in other programs. You can see 32sii programming as subset but in the end, focal is a little more than only more functions.
Peet,
Thank you for the good example that I immediately relate. I was using the EQN editor on 35s last week to calculate a sinc(x), where 'x' is a rather long expression of 4 parameters. I realized that without a sinc function, I had to repeat typing for numerator and denominator.
Also I feel that the lack of alpha variable name i 41 is a disadvantage?

(11-14-2021 03:08 PM)Peet Wrote: [ -> ]No, rather RPN Keystroke like HP67. An important element that is missing would be e.g. alphanumeric labels. A major innovation of the 41 programming (FOCAL) was that your own programs could then be used like internal commands. e.g. the 41 has no hyperbolic functions but if you write a program "LBL SINH" you could use this like internal functions even in other programs. You can see 32sii programming as subset but in the end, focal is a little more than only more functions.
Reference URL's