HP Forums

Full Version: BETA version no longer allows exponentiation of litsts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It appears that exponentiation and logarithm functions no longer handle lists in the current BETA versions.

For example, being able to exponentiate lists is useful when generating a set of probabilities in a canonical probability distribution in statistical mechanics. There the probability of the occupancy of an energy state, E(i), is p(i) = e^(-E(i)/kT)/Z, where Z is the sum over all e^(-E(i)/kT).
Of course, there is a workaround using MAKELIST; but retaining the ability of functions to handle lists helps retain the readability of a program when it handles lists of data.

I tried to insert some images but my internet went down briefly while I was writing this post.
(Still having some intermittent internet connection problems, but here are some examples.)

For Version (2021 04 28) BETA
L1:={2,-2,3,-3}
TAN(L1) gets {-2.19,2.19,-0.14,0.14}
TAN({L1}) gets {{-2.19,2.19,-0.14,0.14}}
e^L1 gets ERROR: Bad argument type
e^{L1} gets {{7.39,0.14,20.09,0.05}}
LN(L1) gets ERROR: Invalid input

For Version (2020 01 16) everything is the same except that
e^L1 gets {7.39,0.14,20.09,0.05}
which is consistent with how it works with other functions except the logarithm function.
I may have given the impression that logarithms don't work on lists in the BETA version. They do.
If L2 is {1,2,3,4}
LN(L2) is {0,0.69,1.10,1.39}

My apologies for three posts. I am working around some internet connection issues.
Reference URL's