HP Forums

Full Version: Eigenvector result is unusual
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

When i type in

EIGENVV([1,2],[4,3])

I get this result:

{[[0.4472135955,−0.7453559925],[0.894427191,0.7453559925]],[[5.,0],[0,-1.]]}

I am not sure if my math is wrong somewhere, but on paper i get the different eigenvalues, for 5, i get [1 2] and for -1, I get [1 -1] which is what wolfram alpha gets. My 50G gets a value of [.5 1] and [1 -1] for for 5 and -1 respectively. Which is also correct.

EDIT::: Actually looking a little past the abstract, the results are correct, but I am not sure why the HP Prime didn't come up with a number closer to a whole number or more readable output similar to the 50G.
I don't think the math is wrong.

The eigenvalues of lambda1 and lambda2 are correct (5, and -1), and this is also what Wolfram alpha shows.

The eigenvectors are [.44..., .89...], and multiplied by a suitable scaling factor equals [1,2], and ditto for the other eigenvector [-.74..., .74], which, again, multiplied with a suitable scaling factor equals [-1,1] - - again in agreement with Wolfram alpha. I believe you read the vectors the wrong way - - horizontally instead of vertically.

But we can ask - - why doesn't the Prime normalize the eigenvectors?
Thanks for the update, I was reading it wrong. I noticed that it when diagonalizing the matrix on the Prime, with those eigenvectors, it still gives me the correct result but instead of a zeros, it has -1.42109E-15, which is essentially zero... but maybe due to the original output.
EIGENVV is an approx instruction. Try an exact one, for example jordan.
Thank you, the Jordan function works perfectly.
Reference URL's