HP Forums

Full Version: Where to buy a G2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
This thread just to ask where I could buy a new Prime with the certitude that it will be a G2. I know that this question has been asked several times but the market change quite quickly.

If you also point out how I could check placing the order,

I am not interested too much in its speed; I am mainly interested in the connectivity. Few weeks ago I couldn’t imagine I was buying a new calculator...

Thanks

Giancarlo
Hey Giancarlo,

You can buy a G2 here, from Amazon in US, but I don't know if they will ship to international buyers (since there are several other Amazon's in EU that are much closer):
https://www.amazon.com/2AP18AA-ABA-Prime...B07HF6RXGG

The model number shown in the listing (2AP18AA#ABA) is correct for a Prime G2, however note the the "#ABA" at the end means for North American market. If you buy this here, HP Customer Support in Europe will not support it.

Good luck,
(05-04-2021 01:32 AM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]You can buy a G2 here, from Amazon in US, but I don't know if they will ship to international buyers (since there are several other Amazon's in EU that are much closer):
https://www.amazon.com/2AP18AA-ABA-Prime...B07HF6RXGG

The model number shown in the listing (2AP18AA#ABA) is correct for a Prime G2, however note the the "#ABA" at the end means for North American market. If you buy this here, HP Customer Support in Europe will not support it.

Note, however, that there is an inconsistency in that listing. While the title of the listing says it is a 2AP18AA#ABA (the U.S. version), the detailed product information says it is a 2AP18AA#B1S (the European version). I contacted the seller about four weeks ago to find out which it is (it cannot be both unless they are selling two calculators for the price of one), but they have not responded.
Another option would be the Spanish company https://www.thecalculatorstore.com/ which ships internationally (at least in Europe) and is specilised on HP calculators. They guarantee to sell only the newest model and are very reliable to my experience.
If delivery from Germany is an option for you:
https://www.dynatech.de/hp-prime-cas-gra...ner.html#1
about 121,95 € + shipping costs, (around 17 - 18 €)
(I've got my G2 in 2018 from Dyntech)
(05-04-2021 01:13 AM)Giancarlo Wrote: [ -> ]This thread just to ask where I could buy a new Prime with the certitude that it will be a G2. I know that this question has been asked several times but the market change quite quickly.
Giancarlo
Hi Giancarlo,
where are you ? Italy ?
From here in Belgium, went on Amazon, there is a German vendor, "Calcuso".
I choose a bundle prime + protection case, currently at 165,98 € (was slightly cheaper). Fast delivery... Smile
OlidaBel wrote:
Quote:From here in Belgium, went on Amazon, there is a German vendor, "Calcuso".
I looked at the website of Calcuso The technical specifications are 32 MB Ram and 256 MB Rom. So this seems to be the older G1 generations of the Prime.
See: https://www.calcuso.de/hp-prime.html

I can support Thomas_Sch from own experience that dynatech sells the G2 and they are fast and reliable.

Best

Raimund
(05-04-2021 07:25 AM)rawi Wrote: [ -> ]I looked at the website of Calcuso The technical specifications are 32 MB Ram and 256 MB Rom. So this seems to be the older G1 generations of the Prime.
I can support Thomas_Sch from own experience that dynatech sells the G2 and they are fast and reliable.
I checked your URL, I'm forced to read the french page :-(, the german one is always moved to the french one. There is only the G2 mentionned, no G1 at all !
From Amaz0n I got the G2 from them.
Hello all,
thank you very much for pointing these companies. i'll try to use a European company for lower shipping costs until they are able to distinguish a G1 from a G2

Thanks for pointing the model number so that i can verify if i am buying the right thing.

thanks

Giancarlo from Italy
(05-04-2021 11:40 AM)Giancarlo Wrote: [ -> ]thank you very much for pointing these companies. i'll try to use a European company for lower shipping costs until they are able to distinguish a G1 from a G2
Thanks for pointing the model number so that i can verify if i am buying the right thing.
thanks
Giancarlo from Italy
You're welcome.
About the customs costs, yes, serious issue...
I found a new 50G in UK, I am happy with that but it has a cost because of the Brexit off course. (VAT logically, customs, admin costs).
G2 model is 2AP18AA only.
Hi!
It's a shame that we could not buy it at HP Store directly!
I receive mail from HP every weeks about ink... but never about a great product like the Prime.
I live at Montreal Canada and HP Canada dont know about HP Calculators!
It's a shame that if I want to buy a product made by a american company I have to buy it at from a european store!
It's a shame also that the G2 is not easely notify for the buyer.
Marcel
(05-04-2021 04:10 PM)Marcel Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!
It's a shame that we could not buy it at HP Store directly!
I receive mail from HP every weeks about ink... but never about a great product like the Prime.
I live at Montreal Canada and HP Canada dont know about HP Calculators!
It's a shame that if I want to buy a product made by a american company I have to buy it at from a european store!
It's a shame also that the G2 is not easely notify for the buyer.
Marcel

HP US doesn't seem to know about them, either. I was told by an agent that they've been discontinued!
OlidaBel wrote:
Quote:rawi Wrote:
I looked at the website of Calcuso The technical specifications are 32 MB Ram and 256 MB Rom. So this seems to be the older G1 generations of the Prime.
I checked your URL, I'm forced to read the french page :-(, the german one is always moved to the french one. There is only the G2 mentionned, no G1 at all !
From Amaz0n I got the G2 from them.

It is easily possible that the same company sells the new version in France and the old one in Germany. Online shops differentiate the markets in many ways to maximize profits. Quite often you get a higher price offer if you surf with an Apple computer than with a Windows computer.
It's also worth knowing that some retailers haven't bothered to add G2 to their historic listing.

Science Studio offers the best UK price on the Prime, yet their listing neither details the G2 model nor is there any form of identification code on the listing. When I purchased my G2's, I emailed them to clarify which model they were selling and they stated that it was the G2. Over the years I've purchased many calculators from Science Studio so I trusted their word on the matter (I could have easily returned the item if the information they presented to me was incorrect). The moral of the story, get in contact with the retailer if you're unsure.

I have a feeling that this is another case of a UK retailer only stocking HP calculators for inbound enquiries but whose main business is Casio (and to a lesser extent TI). On their best calculator for A-Level subjects page, they only recommend the Casio CG50 which says a lot about UK attitudes. Whilst I love the graphing UX on the CG50, it's a vastly inferior calculator to either the Prime or Nspire CX II's.

https://www.sciencestudio.co.uk/product/...alculator/
I got mine recently from this seller on eBay, and it arrived in great shape. $89.00 is a pretty decent price for a G2 in my opinion. If you don't mind going the used route, it might be worth checking the listing out. They have sold around 20 already and still have more than 10 available according to the quantity in the listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373524845073

Edit: I just noticed that you are in Italy, so I don't know if they ship internationally.
(05-05-2021 08:18 PM)ekeppel Wrote: [ -> ]I got mine recently from this seller on eBay, and it arrived in great shape. $89.00 is a pretty decent price for a G2 in my opinion. If you don't mind going the used route, it might be worth checking the listing out. They have sold around 20 already and still have more than 10 available according to the quantity in the listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373524845073

Edit: I just noticed that you are in Italy, so I don't know if they ship internationally.

Eldorado is a long-time and well-trusted HP dealer, they've been selling HP calculators since the 80's. They are located in the valley, so they may have some arrangement with HP to re-sell prior dealer returns to HP. By law, once an item is sold from a mfr to a dealer, if the dealer returns the item, even if never purchased by an end-user, it cannot be sold as new, so most manufacturers have certain dealers that buy such 'used' equipment to re-sell. So most likely, these are actually new, never-used units, but they must be sold as 'used' due to retail laws here in US.
If you have battery and cover (a G1 unit), maybe better to choose a new unit without battery and cover?

Check this: eBay search result and there is a seller from Czech Rep, ask him about G2.

The cost is below EUR 50.- (GBP 45.-) and free shipping.

Regards,
Csaba
If you are in UK, you can buy one from Oxford Supplies.
I do not want to became a troll, but why are you ready to pay lots of money for a brand new unit, but it is available for 70% discount on the ebay from a shop (and those calculators also brand new units with 6 months warranty). My opinion is, that is not a normal case if you think your cheaper unit will be damaged soon. If you pay 150+ EUR or you pay 50 EUR the possibility of damage is same.

Csaba
(05-27-2021 01:50 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote: [ -> ]I do not want to became a troll, but why are you ready to pay lots of money for a brand new unit, but it is available for 70% discount on the ebay from a shop (and those calculators also brand new units with 6 months warranty). My opinion is, that is not a normal case if you think your cheaper unit will be damaged soon. If you pay 150+ EUR or you pay 50 EUR the possibility of damage is same.

Csaba

If you damage (e.g. drop or scratch the LCD) your unit, the warranty does not apply, it is only for defective units.

Also, if someone in UK or USA (or even most of the rest of the world) buys a unit from the seller in Czech Republic there is no useful warranty. Each unit's serial number includes information on what market it was intended to sold in, and HP will only honor warranties in the country/market they were intended for (e.g. are units from Czech intended for EU?). So if an international customer buys one, there is no warranty from HP, and the 6-month warranty from the seller is, at best, his ability to replace a unit, if the buyer pays to send him the defective unit, and if the seller still has some stock, and probably also must pay for return ship, so again effectively no warranty, without paying as much as the original purchase.

OTOH, it is truly rare that a new high-end HP calculator will fail within 1-year of purchase, so it is a realistic option to consider, if you are willing to purchase with no warranty only.

None of the units listed w/o battery or w/o battery/cover are G2 units.
Reference URL's