HP Forums

Full Version: John Kercheval Part II - Free stuff I'm giving away
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
John Kercheval Part II- Free Stuff I’m giving away.

Ok, as I indicated in the previous post, in between the summer Vulture closings I am cleaning out my storage units.

In those storage units is a bunch of 110+/150 hardware & software. People have asked if I have anything for “Sale/Trade” and I do not.

But I am happy to give it away for free including my paying for the postage & discs to get it to group members.

I do not know exactly what software I have and will post that later but I have a bunch of 110/150 freeware & shareware that was popular back in those days plus Infocom Games (Zork Series etc.) for both machines. There was so little available that I do not know what I do NOT have if that makes any sense.

So, as long as I am not violating any copyright laws, what’s mine is yours. Let me know what you are looking for. I have all “The Portable Paper” issues and was going to give those away too but in between now & when I was here a couple of months ago, before I went on the road, those are now available here electronically.

CONSULTING REQUEST:

Separately, I bought a NOS (new old stock) 1993 Toshiba T5200 which was a 386-20 machine with a gas plasma display. It had a 100MB disc in there.

I have removed the disc drive and put in a 200MB drive. I also removed
the 386 chip and put in a Cyrix 486-20 chip which has the same PIN codes as the 386 so it will fit.

This is IMPORTANT for me and not a hobby. We have old DOS- based securities analysis programs that will not run on newer machines or under all of the emulators that we have tried.

I am seeking a way to plug the T5200 into a newer machine have the newer machine download some end-of-day securities data and “beam” it over to the T5200 by some sort of cable.

I have a $500 consulting fee (more money if needed) to get this done including writing some simple code for one or both of the machines to automate this and would like group members who can help to contact me.

There are other places on this forum to post such requests and I will do so.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post.

John Kercheval
(06-16-2014 11:39 AM)John W Kercheval Wrote: [ -> ]John Kercheval Part II- Free Stuff I’m giving away.

Ok, as I indicated in the previous post, in between the summer Vulture closings I am cleaning out my storage units.

In those storage units is a bunch of 110+/150 hardware & software. People have asked if I have anything for “Sale/Trade” and I do not.

But I am happy to give it away for free including my paying for the postage & discs to get it to group members.

I do not know exactly what software I have and will post that later but I have a bunch of 110/150 freeware & shareware that was popular back in those days plus Infocom Games (Zork Series etc.) for both machines. There was so little available that I do not know what I do NOT have if that makes any sense.

So, as long as I am not violating any copyright laws, what’s mine is yours. Let me know what you are looking for. I have all “The Portable Paper” issues and was going to give those away too but in between now & when I was here a couple of months ago, before I went on the road, those are now available here electronically.

CONSULTING REQUEST:

Separately, I bought a NOS (new old stock) 1993 Toshiba T5200 which was a 386-20 machine with a gas plasma display. It had a 100MB disc in there.

I have removed the disc drive and put in a 200MB drive. I also removed
the 386 chip and put in a Cyrix 486-20 chip which has the same PIN codes as the 386 so it will fit.

This is IMPORTANT for me and not a hobby. We have old DOS- based securities analysis programs that will not run on newer machines or under all of the emulators that we have tried.

I am seeking a way to plug the T5200 into a newer machine have the newer machine download some end-of-day securities data and “beam” it over to the T5200 by some sort of cable.

I have a $500 consulting fee (more money if needed) to get this done including writing some simple code for one or both of the machines to automate this and would like group members who can help to contact me.

There are other places on this forum to post such requests and I will do so.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post.

John Kercheval

You've got mail!!
Folks:

I am generally keeping the hardware but i do not ave much of that anyway.

Over the next two weeks I'll be inventorying it. I will post what I have as a reply to this post.

Since I am uncovering all of this piecemeal, I do not know how long it will take. I am opening these boxes randomly 7 do not know what i will see next.

Standby,

John
(06-16-2014 11:39 AM)John W Kercheval Wrote: [ -> ]....I am seeking a way to plug the T5200 into a newer machine have the newer machine download some end-of-day securities data and “beam” it over to the T5200 by some sort of cable.

Fun problem!

Apologies for stating the obvious...but would a 3.5 inch floppy do the job? Or does this need to be completely automated?

How does the DOS software expect to receive it's data? From a file? Or some long-dead dial-up service?

Bob
Reference URL's