HP Forums

Full Version: Nokia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

I was just watching the rise and fall of Nokia documentary and is seemed interesting that in discussing the early phones, one guy pulled out a HP calculator from his top pocket and mentioned these things have text keys on them so mobile phones can too, and maybe the text message was born.

cheers

Tony
The other interresting part of Nokia story is how they droped the ball on the Smartphone era.

Once i saw a director of Nokia-France on TV crying while explaining how they completely missed the turn to keyboardless phones : He appoligized while saying that they paid lot of famous and expensive consultants that demonstrated them that customers would NEVER switch to keyboardless phones based on "serious" market studies. Hence their conlusion was that smarphone would always stay as a niche market....

History has showned how wrong they were and Nokia went down the drain from #1 position to irrelevance within a few years.

As for my domain, Automotive industry i saw the very same behavior from major OEMs in front of the BEV emergence. Now they seems to all wake-up same time like Lemmings... this decade will be very interresting !
Hello!

(02-09-2021 09:44 AM)teenix Wrote: [ -> ]... one guy pulled out a HP calculator from his top pocket and mentioned these things have text keys on them so mobile phones can too, and maybe the text message was born.

Do you have an idea in which year this interview was taken? Out of curiosity I searched around a little and found that the NMT (Nordic Mobile Telephony) standard was started beginning in 1981 in Scandinavia. It already included the short message service that we still have today. In order to start in 1981 the development work must have taken place several years before that year. So it might just be possible that the HP41 with it's alphanumeric keybord and display could have had in influence on that...

By the way: In these years, Nokia, at least their mobile phone branch, was not even called Nokia yet but "Mobira".

Regards
Max
Interesting thread!

Regarding NMT & Keyboards, GSM and SMS - there is this from WIKI History of SMS (A.K.A. Texting) - my first cellular was in 1988 (shoebox Size Ericson) and had the letters as did normal Desk-Phones, but not very useful.

About not getting a trend and letting researchers decide for a company, there are a plethora of that sort of stories.

Related to HP Calculators - SRI advised against what would become the HP 35. "The market is simply too small for a US$395 replacement for a USD39 Slide Rule - it won't sell". This has been referenced in a lot of interviews and stories. The deciding factor was that one decisive person going "I want one..." and so it was!

The world only need 5 computers...

512kb has to be enough for everyone's need...

the list goes on. Predictions
(02-09-2021 11:56 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have an idea in which year this interview was taken?

Sorry, I don't recall hearing anything of actual dates.

cheers

Tony
(02-09-2021 11:11 AM)Chr Yoko Wrote: [ -> ]... how they (Nokia) completely missed the turn to keyboardless phones (...) As for my domain, Automotive industry i saw the very same behavior from major OEMs in front of the BEV emergence. Now they seems to all wake-up same time like Lemmings... this decade will be very interresting !

The problem is the "ordinary people behaviour": If something is new, colourful and dumbed-down they want it. That is why the Palm, Symbian, PSION, Ericsson, Nokia is left the market. In the 2000's I had one Nokia 3650, later a 7710 and latest one N770. I really liked them, mainly my 3650. It was only one problem with it: these are introduced too early and people do not know how to use them, it was too clever for an ordinary people. So, other cheap but less sophisticated manufacturers are outrun Nokia.

[attachment=9092]

Before Android era I used my PSION Revo with my Ericsson K800i (as an IrDA modem) (just few years before), it was perfect for ICQ, email, SMS, spreadsheet, text editing and writing short programs. Later, of course I changed to Android. It was a big drawback...

Csaba
Reference URL's