HP Forums

Full Version: Prime VS 48SX VS 42S/DM42/Free42
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What you would buy between a prime a 48SX and a DM42 ?

I just want to know why

I know about all the calculators I just want your opinion because I got some friends that need really good calculator but they don’t always need to plot a graphic.
With none of these calculators you are forced to print always graphics. You can also use only the basic arithmetic operations.
Question: Why these three in particular?
(01-12-2021 08:55 PM)Peet Wrote: [ -> ]With none of these calculators you are forced to print always graphics. You can also use only the basic arithmetic operations.

I know told not always needed too be a graphing calculator
50g, 48SX is nice but the 50g is where it’s at these days,
I think the more important questions are:
1. What do they plan on using the calculator for (educational classes, engineering, fun, etc.)?
2. If it is for a class, what model calculator does the instructor recommend?
3. Do the already have experience with (or a preference for) RPN or RPL calculators?
(01-13-2021 07:49 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote: [ -> ]I think the more important questions are:
1. What do they plan on using the calculator for (educational classes, engineering, fun, etc.)?
2. If it is for a class, what model calculator does the instructor recommend?
3. Do the already have experience with (or a preference for) RPN or RPL calculators?

If I don’t don’t mistake it the Prime do all the fonction but the RPN on it is not like a vintage calculator or the DM42.

We love RPN calculator all my friends got PCalc or Free42 or there iPhone.

We need sometime a graphing calculator (not always).
Is why that I am thinking that maybe the prime with a DM42 can be the answer.

The problem we got is with the prime we can’t use it in exam In Canada (Quebec) and they don’t want to told us why.
(01-13-2021 01:16 PM)fs5qc Wrote: [ -> ]<snip>
The problem we got is with the prime we can’t use it in exam In Canada (Quebec) and they don’t want to told us why.
What are the regulations? Is there an approved list of calculators from which you must choose one, or are certain types (e.g., CAS, programmable) of calculator excluded in exams?

Nigel (UK)
We don’t really know I asked the "Minister of Education" and they told me that is our school that should provide us with this list but they don’t want to provide us the liste.

I know someone that a ti84plus was refused for a exam.

(01-13-2021 01:33 PM)Nigel (UK) Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-13-2021 01:16 PM)fs5qc Wrote: [ -> ]<snip>
What are the regulations? Is there an approved list of calculators from which you must choose one, or are certain types (e.g., CAS, programmable) of calculator excluded in exams?

Nigel (UK)
(01-13-2021 01:48 PM)fs5qc Wrote: [ -> ]We don’t really know I asked the "Minister of Education" and they told me that is our school that should provide us with this list but they don’t want to provide us the liste.

(01-13-2021 01:33 PM)Nigel (UK) Wrote: [ -> ]What are the regulations? Is there an approved list of calculators from which you must choose one, or are certain types (e.g., CAS, programmable) of calculator excluded in exams?

Nigel (UK)
I don't know what exams you are doing, but here is a link to parental guides for the ministerial examinations in Quebec, which include rules for using calculators. To me the requirement that "The data and programs stored in the calculator’s memory must be erased before the examination begins" would certainly rule out a DM42 - clearing its memory would require connection to a computer and searching the flash for program files and html documents. They could reasonably rule out other "ancient" programmable calculators as well - how could an invigilator be expected to check that the memory of an HP48SX was cleared? In contrast, the HP Prime does have an exam mode. Even this can be configured in various ways, I believe, and I could understand a school not wanting to invest the time needed to get to grips with this if only one student was involved.

In short, get something cheap and non-programmable for exams - e.g., a Casio FX-991 of some flavour - and whatever you prefer to use for learning with! And have fun.

Nigel (UK)
Yes,
Do you know a non programmable calculator with rpn ?
I think the 35S is the one.

If not the prime got a exam mode but I still don’t know why they don’t want any graphical calculator at my school.

(01-15-2021 11:51 AM)Nigel (UK) Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-13-2021 01:48 PM)fs5qc Wrote: [ -> ]We don’t really know I asked the "Minister of Education" and they told me that is our school that should provide us with this list but they don’t want to provide us the liste.

I don't know what exams you are doing, but here is a link to parental guides for the ministerial examinations in Quebec, which include rules for using calculators. To me the requirement that "The data and programs stored in the calculator’s memory must be erased before the examination begins" would certainly rule out a DM42 - clearing its memory would require connection to a computer and searching the flash for program files and html documents. They could reasonably rule out other "ancient" programmable calculators as well - how could an invigilator be expected to check that the memory of an HP48SX was cleared? In contrast, the HP Prime does have an exam mode. Even this can be configured in various ways, I believe, and I could understand a school not wanting to invest the time needed to get to grips with this if only one student was involved.

In short, get something cheap and non-programmable for exams - e.g., a Casio FX-991 of some flavour - and whatever you prefer to use for learning with! And have fun.

Nigel (UK)
(01-15-2021 12:41 PM)fs5qc Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know a non programmable calculator with rpn ?

Last time I looked, the 35S was programmable. OK, full of bugs but still programmable.
(01-15-2021 12:41 PM)fs5qc Wrote: [ -> ]Yes,

If not the prime got a exam mode but I still don’t know why they don’t want any graphical calculator at my school.
The HP-35S is programmable, I'm afraid, but it's easy to clear. Older RPN machines that are non-programmable include the HP-35, HP-45, and HP-21. These LED machines aren't exactly cheap, but with a modern battery pack they should be fine for an exam of any reasonable length.

The graphical calculator restriction is strange. Graphs are good! The exam regulations I linked to explicitly allow them.

Nigel (UK)
I just send a email to ministry of the education to get more info.

(01-15-2021 01:01 PM)Nigel (UK) Wrote: [ -> ]

The HP-35S is programmable, I'm afraid, but it's easy to clear. Older RPN machines that are non-programmable include the HP-35, HP-45, and HP-21. These LED machines aren't exactly cheap, but with a modern battery pack they should be fine for an exam of any reasonable length.

The graphical calculator restriction is strange. Graphs are good! The exam regulations I linked to explicitly allow them.

Nigel (UK)

Hmm, non-programmable RPN... The 35S is programmable, so that rules it out. Maybe the 17BII, but it's not scientific, and the solver is sophisticated enough that it could be considered programmable.

I believe all HP RPN calculators since the 41C and Voyagers are programmable. You would probably have to go way back and get a 35, 45, 21, 31E, or 32E, with the 45 usually being the most affordable of those. All still excellent choices, of course! But I would be surprised if the exam board includes such old models in their list of allowed calculators. Smile

If you're willing - or forced - to forego RPN, then the Casio fx-991EX, TI 36X Pro, and TI 30X Pro are all good, inexpensive options.
(01-15-2021 06:03 PM)Dave Britten Wrote: [ -> ]If you're willing - or forced - to forego RPN, then the Casio fx-991EX, TI 36X Pro, and TI 30X Pro are all good, inexpensive options.

I second that....and in that order, as well.
(The Casie fx-991EX is significantly faster than either of the TI's, if that matters.)
Downside to the CASIO is that it loses all information regarding a function of interest if the calculator mode is switched, or if the unit is turned off. The TI-30X Pro retains everything when turned off, or if mode is changed, and has similar speed to the CASIO. A function of interest can be defined in terms of f(x), and then referred to as f(x) in further calculations or in the solve app without having to retype the perhaps lengthy equation.
What about the 10s and the 300s?
(01-16-2021 06:08 PM)lrdheat Wrote: [ -> ]Downside to the CASIO is that it loses all information regarding a function of interest if the calculator mode is switched, or if the unit is turned off. The TI-30X Pro retains everything when turned off, or if mode is changed, and has similar speed to the CASIO. A function of interest can be defined in terms of f(x), and then referred to as f(x) in further calculations or in the solve app without having to retype the perhaps lengthy equation.
(01-16-2021 06:16 PM)fs5qc Wrote: [ -> ]What about the 10s and the 300s?

are actually casios with hp branding, almost identical with Casio FX-87DE Plus & FX-85MS
Oh yes.
so they are good as backup

(01-16-2021 09:18 PM)Peet Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-16-2021 06:16 PM)fs5qc Wrote: [ -> ]What about the 10s and the 300s?

are actually casios with hp branding, almost identical with Casio FX-87DE Plus & FX-85MS
(01-16-2021 09:51 PM)fs5qc Wrote: [ -> ]Oh yes.
so they are good as backup

(01-16-2021 09:18 PM)Peet Wrote: [ -> ]are actually casios with hp branding, almost identical with Casio FX-87DE Plus & FX-85MS

You would probably be better off picking a newer Casio model than one of these possibly inferior made copies of somewhat older Casio models.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's