HP Forums

Full Version: Pocket computers/calculators with Fortran?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just received a copy of Combinatorial Algorithms for Computers and Calculators, and all the routines contained within are written in Fortran. This got me wondering: are there any pocket computers or handhelds that came equipped with Fortran in lieu of or in addition to BASIC? Or any that could have it added? I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find an MS-DOS Fortran that works on the palmtops, for example.

There are a couple of Sharp and Casio calculators that have something called Mini Fortran, but from what I can tell, it's vastly simplified to the point that calling it Fortran isn't all that accurate.
Wikipedia seems to suggest that using gcc on a computer can generate Fortran 77 for some calculators, if that helps.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_calculator
Casio FX 201 P uses a fortran like programming language. Its program model is ... strange.

0 = 1 Means : put value of register 1 in register 0.
0 = 1 + K1.5 Means put value of register 1 + 1.5 in register 0. K stands for Konstant.
(12-14-2020 10:10 PM)badaze Wrote: [ -> ]Casio FX 201 P uses a fortran like programming language. Its program model is ... strange.

0 = 1 + K1.5 Means put value of register 1 + 1.5 in register 0. K stands for Konstant.

Yeah, like the early Sharp models, it seems like a pretty big stretch to call that Fortran! Wouldn't mind getting ahold of one of them, though.
Maybe they figger FORmula TRANslation is generic.
(12-14-2020 10:17 PM)Dave Britten Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-14-2020 10:10 PM)badaze Wrote: [ -> ]Casio FX 201 P uses a fortran like programming language. Its program model is ... strange.

Yeah, like the early Sharp models, it seems like a pretty big stretch to call that Fortran! Wouldn't mind getting ahold of one of them, though.

Tests are ternary. I should find my 201P to give an example.
Reference URL's