HP Forums

Full Version: Next Generation Calculator
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hello!

(10 seconds reading text)

What will be the Next Generation Calculator, from HP?

HP Prime II?
HP51G?
HP50 Prime? (an hybrid)

I think that a next generation calculator should keep the HP48 series features
and keep the HP Prime hardware, an hybrid.

"One can start by remodeling the landscape with just one flower, Captain Picard)"
(Spock to Picard, episode TNG - T05E08, Unification II )

=============================================================
UPDATE of 28/nov/2020

It seems that things are not good for HP calculators...
See posts below. Sorry.
(11-28-2020 02:55 PM)CMarangon Wrote: [ -> ]HP Prime II?
HP51G?
HP50 Prime? (an hybrid)

- Extinction?

Anyway RPL is ruled out, I think.
At this point I'd be very surprised if there ever was a new HP calculator at all.
(11-28-2020 02:55 PM)CMarangon Wrote: [ -> ](10 seconds reading text)

(0.1 second reading)

None.

V.
(11-28-2020 02:55 PM)CMarangon Wrote: [ -> ]Hello!

(10 seconds reading text)

HP Prime II?
HP51G?
HP50 Prime? (an hybrid)

"One can start by remodeling the landscape with just one flower, Captain Picard)"
(Spock to Picard, episode TNG - T05E08, Unification II )
Imho none or some improvements in the Prime.
The market is education oriented, so for sure no product for professionals.

I am jealousy keeping my 50g plus one spare, and using it with a 35s.....
(11-28-2020 04:22 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-28-2020 02:55 PM)CMarangon Wrote: [ -> ](10 seconds reading text)

(0.1 second reading)

None.

V.

It seems that a wave of pessimism has washed over us:-(
Hello!

(11-28-2020 07:47 PM)CMarangon Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that a wave of pessimism has washed over us:-(

I would rather call it realism then pessimism. I own more than 1000 pocket calculators, but guess when I did buy my last factory new pocket calculator from a store for myself? In 1981, when my Ti59 was away for repair and I really needed a calculator... Another one (Ti Nspire) I bought for my son when he was required to have one for school about 7 or 8 years ago. I am not special in any way and if calculator manufacturers get their market research right they can easily conclude that it is not worth developing new products in our third millenium...

Regards
Max
(11-28-2020 07:47 PM)CMarangon Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that a wave of pessimism has washed over us:-(

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a new HP model, but the evidence before us tends to show that there won't be one.

Firstly, by all apearances, the Calculator "division" of HP is now Tim and Cyrille. Tim has been shipped out to Taiwan, so it looks to all intents and purposes that the team has now been disbanded.

While there used to be pretty regular updates for the HP Prime, the last HP calculator that actually had some HP know-how in it, the latest update was now almost a year ago.

Other recent models such as the 10s+ and the 300s+ don't even attempt to disguise the fact that they're rebadged OEM Casios. There's nothing whatsoever remotely HP about them apart from the logo.

Evidence suggests that HP Calculators are no more.
(11-28-2020 03:06 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-28-2020 02:55 PM)CMarangon Wrote: [ -> ]HP Prime II?
HP51G?
HP50 Prime? (an hybrid)

- Extinction?

Anyway RPL is ruled out, I think.

Hello!

I already have seen that since the internet comes out, many people begin to think that all in the inernet should be easy and intuitive, also that everything is free.

I prefer Algebraic for daily calculus, but in my humble opinion
RPN must continiue.
SwissMicros is what we have now.
(11-28-2020 08:12 PM)grsbanks Wrote: [ -> ]

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a new HP model, but the evidence before us tends to show that there won't be one.

Firstly, by all apearances, the Calculator "division" of HP is now Tim and Cyrille. Tim has been shipped out to Taiwan, so it looks to all intents and purposes that the team has now been disbanded.

While there used to be pretty regular updates for the HP Prime, the last HP calculator that actually had some HP know-how in it, the latest update was now almost a year ago.

Other recent models such as the 10s+ and the 300s+ don't even attempt to disguise the fact that they're rebadged OEM Casios. There's nothing whatsoever remotely HP about them apart from the logo.

Evidence suggests that HP Calculators are no more.

I have an HP10+ and an HP300s.

About Taiwan, I only know that Kinpo Electronics of Taiwan, (https://www.kinpo.com.tw/en-US/),
is making somethig for HP.
I would hope that HP or someone would make something like an enhanced HP50g based on native cell-phone technology. There may be less profit in not selling hardware but the cost of building the units is less too.
A cheap multimedia platform with reduced functionality, an outdated TFT installed upside down, and a flash application that is essentially an emulator of a very powerful scientific calculator – this is what HP-Prime looks like today. Just as a smartphone with camera functions can`t be considered a real camera, so modern graphics emulators are not specialized devices like calculators should be. Otherwise, they would be more efficient in terms of performance and power consumption than the corresponding applications on androids and iPhones.
I hope that the next generation of calculators from HP will be a device with emulation of several calculators (hp-41/42/35/48/50/Prime) in the form factor of the current HP-Prime.
(11-28-2020 05:25 PM)Marco Polo Wrote: [ -> ]The market is education oriented, so for sure no product for professionals.

Maybe a professional calculator for students...
(11-28-2020 10:30 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-28-2020 05:25 PM)Marco Polo Wrote: [ -> ]The market is education oriented, so for sure no product for professionals.

Maybe a professional calculator for students...

The next generation of engineers in the family is being graduated in the USA. I asked my nephew one of these days which calculator he and his classmates were using. “None”, he replied, “we use our notebooks only”. Calculator is a bygone era. Why would HP waste time and money designing a new calculator?

Edited to remove a non-working hyperlink.
The HP Voyager is very close to 40 year hope that HP come up with special surprise !!

Gamo
Looking at some calculator shopping sites here in Europe, it even looks like they won't stock up on the HP 35S anymore. Or was it even discontinued by HP themselves? Anyway, I don't think HP will ever create a decent RPN calculator anymore; the market just isn't there for them.
Do we have an ideas, perhaps from serial numbers, how well the Prime is selling or has sold? Especially the G2, which explores the remaining market after G1 sold as many as it did.
(11-28-2020 02:55 PM)CMarangon Wrote: [ -> ]Hello!

HP Prime II?
HP51G?
HP50 Prime? (an hybrid)

Think about the early '70s when HP was king of calculators: The only alternative to a programmable calculator was a mini or mainframe computer. Timesharing was expensive and microcomputers were just being introduced and didn't have much capability yet. Today, virtually everyone has a smartphone that can serve the purpose of instant calculation just fine. Laptops can be used for heavier calculating and data entry needs. As sad as it is to me, the world just doesn't need a standalone calculator anymore. We old-time users are the ones keeping them alive (out of nostalgia?) Yes, students are required to have them until test writers adapt and learn to write tests for the new generation of computing devices but eventually, they will catch up and even students won't be required to own a calculator. Where will Casio and TI be then? They'll be unable to sell 30-year-old technology for outrageous prices and they'll move on to other things.
Hello,
If I follow the thinking flow of the previous messages, We can say that students and engineers use their laptops or smartphones to do their calculations. If it is like this, HP having the prime available on several platforms (smartphones, tablets and laptop) has anticipated the future.
This future is not the one that we like but it is going this way...

If students are using less hardware calculators, I can add that working among engineers all the day, none of them are using programmable calculators. When I see a calc it is a four banger...

If this the future, and I cannot be very happy, I would like the calculator
Application on a laptop or a tablet as a full laptop application, not a small grafical representation of the calculator and I would need better compatibility with other programs like spreadsheets and word processors.

Then, on top of this probably the Prime is not the best calculator For Scientist and engineers. If the prime had more support for professional probably Thing weren’t going so bad.

However I will always support hp. Hp gave me so much in the last 30 years (I started with 28s) that it would be impossible for me to jump on the dark side. I will probably
Stay with the rpl family of calculators.

Thanks

Giancarlo
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Reference URL's