HP Forums

Full Version: A short introduction and a question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I just want to introduce my self shortly and then ask a question.

I live in Germany and have happily found this forum. Nice to see people which still love pocket calculators even in the time of smart phones and tablets. I am a software engineer coming from S/36 and AS400 IBM midrange machines, but in the past 15 years I have been an architect and developer on linux and in the world of C and C++.

In the mid-70ties I often looked jealously to those which could afford HP and TI equipment which I couldn't due to their prices. So I ended up with casio. Today, I still own and operate a casio fx-8000, which basically fulfills my need. It is now 36 years or so old, and apart from some scratches the display and the keys are still like being new.

However, it always was and is tedious to write programs on this device, and I'd like to have something "more fancy", a new toy.

So I will get an HP Prime in this week, and I am as excited about this as I was about my FX-8000. :-)

Though I once (past century) started to study mechanical engineering (I didn't complete), I am very sure that I will likely not use more than a few percent of what one can do with the Prime. But I don't care: I don't have to to understand it all, but I may learn a new step every once and then - if I want. This is the privilege of age, I guess.

My hobbies are software, software, software - and electronics, photography, RC-plane building and -flying, and I fly real airplanes. And I like technics in general.

Why did I buy a Prime? Simple answer: HP has always been the benchmark for calculators, and I am simply too old to buy the second best solution. Besides this, the prime is easy to program and PPL reminds me in some way of pascal. Although I used BASIC as my very first programming language, pascal was the first 'real' HLL I dealt with.

Enough about me, I think. So let me ask this question:

I wonder where the HP Prime mobile app has gone? I found an apk somewhere on aapks.com, but If I follow the usual HP-links to the app, I end up in the android play-store with an error message "url not found" or so.

Why is this so? Did HP revoke this app? What is the reason?

Greetings from Germany,
Edgar
This thread may explain why it was pulled from the Google Android store. I'm not sure why it is still missing.
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-15...#pid136459
Thank you. Seems it takes a while to get it back to the public.
Hi, Edgar

As you are a professional in mathematics and engeneering, I would like to ask you: why not XCAS on a tablet instead of HP-Prime?

I'm an engineering student and used to HP-50G. Last month, I finally got my first HP Prime - indeed a beautifull calculator - but completely different of HP-50G.

I'm wondering about if it is really worth to keep it: I'll have to learn everything from scractch. RPN is there, but, sincerely, it seems just because is an HP calculator. CAS is a completely algebric system, as it seems to be the programming language.
If you are bored to enter programs in you Casio, it will be a pain to get even small programs in your Prime, or you will have to use a computer and transfer programs to it.
I would really appreciate your comments and concerns about HP Prime.
Best wishes,
Artur
Artur -- if I were you I'd remove the phone number and e-mail address from my signature. This is the kind of information that you really do not want getting into the wrong hands.
(11-04-2020 02:56 PM)grsbanks Wrote: [ -> ]Artur -- if I were you I'd remove the phone number and e-mail address from my signature. This is the kind of information that you really do not want getting into the wrong hands.

Thanks, GRS, I have changed it!

Best regards
Artur
Reference URL's