HP Forums

Full Version: NutStudio tools 3.1.1 available
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Finally, I decided to release my NutStudio tools for real. These are the tools I use to build my modules. The package contains a comprehensive set of tools for the HP-41.
  • Macro assembler supporting HP and Jacobs-DeArras mnemonics. Contains a C preprocessor and directives to control code placements and supports making banked modules.
  • Linker allowing good control over code placement. Possible outputs are module files and ELF/DWARF.
  • Librarian, if you want to make your own link library.
  • Debugger/simulator capable of reading the ELF/DWARF output. It can also load .mod and .mod2 files (without debug information).
  • The HP-41 user interface that can be opened in a web browser and connects to the local debugger.
  • The debugger is command line based and modelled after GDB.
  • VS Code can be used as a graphical debugger front end. Emacs/MI is also possible. (Eclipse is also a future possibility.)
  • Lua is used as the script language in the debugger and allows for automation, creating scripts and new commands.
  • RPN compiler for modules.
  • Barcode generator.
  • RPN can be entered as source text or .raw files.
  • Module tool that can take modules apart, extract metadata or put modules together again. Supports MOD1 and MOD2 formats.
  • Clonix tool to build images for your Clonix modules.

Downloads are available for macOS and Debian Linux (tested on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS):

Debian:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14fVvZJp...sp=sharing

macOS
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14M4qIz8...sp=sharing

Documentation
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cNQAbDJ...sp=sharing

Debugger guide
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rfvEN7S...sp=sharing
Thank you for providing this. For the macOS version, the pkg installer didn't tell me where it would be installed. I had to use a Spotlight search to find that it had been placed into directories in /opt/local. Will you be making the source available?
(06-04-2020 04:36 AM)hth Wrote: [ -> ]Finally, I decided to release my NutStudio tools for real. These are the tools I use to build my modules. The package contains a comprehensive set of tools for the HP-41.

[...]

Thank you, impressive and also useful, especially on the eve of the DM41X release.
(06-04-2020 12:11 PM)cruff Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for providing this. For the macOS version, the pkg installer didn't tell me where it would be installed. I had to use a Spotlight search to find that it had been placed into directories in /opt/local. Will you be making the source available?

It is mentioned in the installation chapter that binaries are in:
Code:
/usr/local/bin
They are actually soft links to the real files. The manual does not mention where the actual files are. You can do:
Code:
ls -l `which asnut`
to see the installation directory. I will add some additional information in the manual for next release. The locations should be fairly standard for add-on software on UNIX style systems, I looked into where to place things a (long) while back.

The source code is not available at this point, it is part of a larger code base that is not open.
Installation failed on macOS 10.14.6. What is the recommended version of macOS?

Thanks,
Steve
(06-22-2020 11:20 PM)smartin Wrote: [ -> ]Installation failed on macOS 10.14.6. What is the recommended version of macOS?
Hello Steve,
My setup is: macOS 10.15.5 on a MacBookPro 15" 2019.
For security reason, I had to open up System Preferences, Security & Privacy then authorize the installation program to run, after that the installation went flawlessly.
This is a command line application, so you have to start a shell then type: asnut -v to get the message NutStudio assembler for Nut version 3.1.1.
Sylvain
(06-23-2020 01:05 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-22-2020 11:20 PM)smartin Wrote: [ -> ]Installation failed on macOS 10.14.6. What is the recommended version of macOS?
Hello Steve,
My setup is: macOS 15.15.5 on a MacBookPro 15" 2019.
For security reason, I had to open up System Preferences, Security & Privacy then authorize the installation program to run, after that the installation went flawlessly.
This is a command line application, so you have to start a shell then type: asnut -v to get the message NutStudio assembler for Nut version 3.1.1.
Sylvain
Gotcha, thanks!

I also authorized the installer to run, but the installation failed.

I should upgrade to Catalina anyway.

Thanks,
Steve

I use 10.13.6 High Sierra myself. I have not tried any other version of macOS (I have only one recent Apple computer). What does it say when you install?
I'm running 10.14.6, and aside from having to authorize the installer, the NutStudio commands run normally.
(06-23-2020 09:16 PM)hth Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks,
Steve

I use 10.13.6 High Sierra myself. I have not tried any other version of macOS (I have only one recent Apple computer). What does it say when you install?

The Installation failed.
The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
(06-24-2020 08:11 PM)smartin Wrote: [ -> ]The Installation failed.
The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

It seems that you can enable logging for the installer. In the window that comes up you can select 'Show all logs' to see what happens.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/question...tion-to-fa
(06-25-2020 02:14 AM)hth Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-24-2020 08:11 PM)smartin Wrote: [ -> ]The Installation failed.

It seems that you can enable logging for the installer. In the window that comes up you can select 'Show all logs' to see what happens.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/question...tion-to-fa

Not necessary, my fault. My system did not have a /usr/local/bin to write the soft links into. Once I created that the installation went fine.

Thanks for a great tool (and documentation)!
Steve
(06-25-2020 08:24 PM)smartin Wrote: [ -> ]Not necessary, my fault. My system did not have a /usr/local/bin to write the soft links into. Once I created that the installation went fine.

Thanks for a great tool (and documentation)!
Steve

Good you got it to work and thank you for the report. I will update the install script to create /usr/local/bin if it does not exist to avoid this problem in the future.
Hi and thank you! Are you distributing source or only executables?

I have no Debian or Debian-based Linux boxes, I am using Fedora after almost 2 decades of Slackware. I know there are some tools to deal with .debs but I would prefer to see what's going on and build in my preferred directory structure.

And, I have the old hptools built on Solaris SPARC Big Grin It would be nice to add these.
(07-09-2020 06:46 PM)HP67 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi and thank you! Are you distributing source or only executables?

I have no Debian or Debian-based Linux boxes, I am using Fedora after almost 2 decades of Slackware. I know there are some tools to deal with .debs but I would prefer to see what's going on and build in my preferred directory structure.

And, I have the old hptools built on Solaris SPARC Big Grin It would be nice to add these.

Only executables. It is part of a bigger system that relies on Haskell/GHC which is only available on some systems. I need GHC Tier-1 support as Tier-2 or 3 tends to be more or less broken over time.

Fedora (64-bit) is definitely a possibility. How urgent is this for you?

Solaris will not happen. I have one of those machines in the closet (sadly) myself, but getting NutStudio running on it is just too much work and if successful it will fall apart in a matter of time.
(07-09-2020 08:20 PM)hth Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-09-2020 06:46 PM)HP67 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi and thank you! Are you distributing source or only executables?

Only executables. It is part of a bigger system that relies on Haskell/GHC which is only available on some systems. I need GHC Tier-1 support as Tier-2 or 3 tends to be more or less broken over time.

Fedora (64-bit) is definitely a possibility. How urgent is this for you?

Solaris will not happen. I have one of those machines in the closet (sadly) myself, but getting NutStudio running on it is just too much work and if successful it will fall apart in a matter of time.

Thanks, not urgent at all, at the moment I'm very far from my HP 41s. And I just started getting into the 41 so my interest was just excitement about a tool for the future.

I did some quick searching and it looks like there is some hope for GHC on Solaris SPARC
https://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc...arcsolaris
but also some issues found in other posts.

Depending on the time of year and your boredom I could set up a dev account on one of my Solaris 10 SPARC zones if you feel adventurous/suicidal at some point.

Thanks for your reply!
Good that a new version is available. It is probably compiled for Intel Debian? Would like to see it also on Raspbian for my Raspberry Pi (Arm), else I have to get Debian running in a VirtualBox environment on my (Windows) PC.
(07-29-2020 12:09 PM)MeindertKuipers Wrote: [ -> ]Good that a new version is available. It is probably compiled for Intel Debian? Would like to see it also on Raspbian for my Raspberry Pi (Arm), else I have to get Debian running in a VirtualBox environment on my (Windows) PC.

If your PC is running Windows 10, how about a WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) VM, or preferably WSL2?
(07-29-2020 12:09 PM)MeindertKuipers Wrote: [ -> ]Good that a new version is available. It is probably compiled for Intel Debian? Would like to see it also on Raspbian for my Raspberry Pi (Arm), else I have to get Debian running in a VirtualBox environment on my (Windows) PC.

It is built using a 64-bit AMD (x86) machine. The actual Debian release is built using a Docker image of Ubuntu.

I used my RPi 3B+ as an alternative desktop for a while and actually tried to build NutStudio tools on it, but it did not work. There were two problems. Linking Clang took so much memory it could never complete and it did not help to add a swap partition on a USB disk, it was just swapping forever. Then GHC/Haskell has been a somewhat broken on AArch64 for a while.

I think there are progress being made on both aspects here. RPi can be had with more memory now and it seems that the GHC/Haskell developers regard AArch64 as important. I can also see some benefits of having it, as it is a quite capable little computer.

I would not hold my breath, but it is on my long term radar. So is a Windows version.
used deb2tgz and it installs fine on Slackware.

You can compile software for ARM on a non-rpi system, then copy the binaries over.

Have you published the sources?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's