HP Forums

Full Version: More conference videos now online
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Jake Schwartz has given me permission to upload his HP conference recordings to YouTube, so I have uploaded many of his videos recorded between 1986 and 2010. I think that while many of us are quarantining now, this can be another good way to pass the time safely at home.

These are all listed as "Unlisted" on YouTube so they don't show up on my channel or in search results. Instead, they are only discoverable through my front-end at https://videos.hpcalc.org/. Please do not add any of these unlisted videos to a public YouTube playlist, or they will cease to be unlisted.

Not all of his recordings are there, but the majority are. For the full videos, you can either purchase them on DVD from Jake or on a USB drive through my site.

Included are some very interesting videos, such as the introduction of the HP 28 and the HP 48, with HHC conference, HPCC conferences, some local club meetings, and more among the videos. This page now has 623 videos on it, with 158 of them my public videos from before (2011-2019) and the remainder Jake's unlisted videos (1986-2010).

As when I launched this videos site last year, you can resize the video window by dragging the right edge of it, or view it in full screen mode (shortcut key F). You can jump to the next or previous video by pressing N or P. When going through YouTube the interface isn't quite as seamless as when playing off the USB drive version of the site (autoplay of videos doesn't seem to work with YouTube), but it still provides a decent experience.

Here is what it looks like:

[Image: 7VU73pM.png]
Thanks Eric
Thanks a lot!
Hello Eric,

Thank you very mutch.
Thanks Eric and Jake.

I just spent 3 hours watching Bill Wickes' HP-28C introduction video.
Thank you, Eric!
Thanks! Very user friendly interface!
(05-09-2020 01:57 PM)ijabbott Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Eric and Jake.

Ha! Me tooSmile Great video!
On to Jake's impression of the HP-28C and Bill's Q&A. Then on to the HP-28S and then the HP-48SX introduction. The same order that I bought them in and pretty much where I stopped since my HP-48SX is still my daily driver.

Great memories of a simpler time where new HP calculators were so exciting.
Thank you Eric and Jake!!!
Thanks Jake for 30+ years of video-taping and sharing!! Big Grin

Thanks Eric for the custom interface and about 5000 hours of uploading... Big Grin

Now, these are only a few clicks away, and I don't have to sort thru piles of DVDs, or CDs, or thumb drives, or... well, you get the idea.

Jake, there seems to be a technical glitch with some of your videos... they seem to have somehow added weight and more grey hair to my image over the years... must be the newer digital technologies... Huh
(05-09-2020 08:50 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Jake, there seems to be a technical glitch with some of your videos... they seem to have somehow added weight and more grey hair to my image over the years... must be the newer digital technologies... :huh:

Yes, I already met this kind of problem in house.
It is essentially due to the file size, so you need to go from FAT12 to FAT16 to FAT32...

;)
Great stuff, thanks a lot !
I watched the ones from 87 & 88 regarding the launch of the 28C and 28S.
I bought a 28C in that years ;-)

Could see also the production line(s) in the US, also the multi-molding press for the keys and keyboard design with its metal plate and contacts.
A clear piece of mechanical art. 8-)

People at HP knew what they were doing at that time ..... maybe less "accountants" in charge ?
Eric, Jake - Thanks for gathering all this cool stuff for people like myself.

I watched the stories Bill W. tells about the move from the Saturn CPU and how it made its way into the 28C and forward. Some very innovative work for its time! Also the constraints under which any project has to make things work.

I especially liked the story (or explanation) as to why the 28C only had 2kb of RAM and how the sales volume justified the development of the 28S (Quote: "it sold better than the 41, very fast").

Back in the day - i think it was late 87 - I found a way to mount a CMT 32Kb RAM - built for the 71b - into the 28C (Wlodeck helped with some suggestions) finding Din and Dout and the 4-bit bus on the 28C PCB.

Fun times!
On the video: PAHHC 1990/Nov 11, Bill Wickes discusses the HP 48SX, "Bill Wickes Q & A", at around 40:30 minutes into the video, Bill Wickes makes a very prophetic prediction. He was convinced that within a few years most colleges and many high schools would require their students to purchase graphing calculators for their math classes. His prediction came true and is still the case 30 years later, just unfortunately without HP calculators being involved very much.

He also discusses the evolution of the HP-28 and HP-48 series in this video. Great stuff!
Te hank you Eric and Jake!
There are a lot of videos I did not see yet, hours of relax learning to come.
(05-09-2020 01:57 PM)ijabbott Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Eric and Jake.

I'm watching it in segments and I'm an hour into it. This video is reminding me how incredibly blown away I was by this calculator. I was an avid 41cx owner when I saw the 28c in a shop in 1987. I was dumbfounded. I had scads of customized programs that I had written for my 41. I think every one of my programs had their functionality built-in to the 28c. Top it off with the ability to graph---wow! I was one of those students who saw it and opened up their wallets. Actually, I sold the 41cx to buy the 28c. I wish I hadn't sold the 41, but I never regretted getting that 28c. Even with only 2K memory, that was my workhorse calculator till it died in 2003.
Here's one kinda sad thing - the first PPC conference in 1979 was actually videotaped by the HP people at the facility in Santa Clara - it was done on Sony U-Matic format large videocassettes and after the conference, I'm not sure where the tapes went. I can't remember if they ended up at the PPC clubhouse, but if so, they probably wound up in a dumpster when the club folded in 1987. (Richard Nelson was already gone for 4 years at that point.) I would love to see Dennis Harms' and Dr. Wiliiam Kahan's presentations again on the newly-introduced HP34C's solve and integrate functions....

Jake
Eric,
THANK YOU! I love the organization and metadata around the videos, making them easy to find. I watched several of Josephs talks, and found the one about hailstone numbers very interesting.
Thank you very much!!!

I am in almost overload trying not to jump around.

Oh for "The Matrix" style brain interface. Smile

-B
(05-12-2020 02:15 PM)BillBee Wrote: [ -> ]Oh for "The Matrix" style brain interface. Smile

-B

Ironically, Jeremy Smith had a talk at the 1991 conference in Corvallis called "The Matrix" and it discussed the various electronic bulletin board systems and internet aggregation sites which were active at the time, such as HPcvBBS, comp.sys.handhelds and many more. That should be there on the video.

Jake
(05-12-2020 03:07 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-12-2020 02:15 PM)BillBee Wrote: [ -> ]Oh for "The Matrix" style brain interface. Smile

-B

Ironically, Jeremy Smith had a talk at the 1991 conference in Corvallis called "The Matrix" and it discussed the various electronic bulletin board systems and internet aggregation sites which were active at the time, such as HPcvBBS, comp.sys.handhelds and many more. That should be there on the video.

Jake

Thanks for the tip I will go search that out.

-Bill
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's