HP Forums

Full Version: 95% confidence intervals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just came up with this, after flipping through tables and books to do each stage of the confidence intervals. What do you think?

HP 67 Program: 95% Confidence intervals, one variable:
Assumes normal distribution. I have obtained the coefficients from classic statistics literature on t-distributions and normal distributions.

Collect data (one variable) with ∑+.
Run A for 95% confidence interval of a sample size n=5; B n=10; C n=15; D n=20; E n=30 or above
(E is exact at 60 but a good estimate; for other samples you can also try the next lower and higher value for an idea)

The program puts the +/- value around the mean in in the X register and in variable Reg.1, the lower limit of the interval in R2,
the upper limit of the interval in R3, number of data n in RA, the mean in RB (and Y register), the standard deviation in RC, and Student t value in RD

LBL A
STO D
GSB 1
RTN

LBL B
STO D
GSB 1
RTN

LBL C
STO D
GSB 1
RTN

LBL D
STO D
GSB 1
RTN

LBL E
STO D
GSB 1
RTN

LBL 1
P<>S
RCL 9
P<>S
STO A
Mean X
STO B
Stdv
STO C
RCL A
SQRT
/
RCL D
x
STO 1
RCL B
+
STO 3
RCL B
RCL 1
-
STO 2
RCL B
RCL 1
RTN

Example:
What is the mean weight of adult blue whales in the wild, with a 95% confidence interval, assuming normal distribution?
Say that we have the following sample of weights in metric tons from old whaling records:
90, 176.5, 95, 60, 92, 80, 100, 120, 62, 98
Collect data with ∑+
Run B: the +/- value is in the x register and the mean in the Y register : 97.35 tons +/- 23.63, or check by RCL 2 and RCL 3 (73.72-120.98 tons)
Very nice, congratulations. Pedro
(05-07-2020 12:00 PM)PedroLeiva Wrote: [ -> ]Very nice, congratulations. Pedro

Thank you!
I'll see if I can make a program for any value of n later (but t-values are complicated)
Are you familiar with the HP-25 program Mean, Std. Deviation, 90/95% Confidence Intervals, Mean ± CI (APol-18; pgs. 95-99), in HP-25 PROGRAMMABLE POCKET CALCULATOR APPLIED TO AIR POLLUTION MEASUREMENT STUDIES: STATIONARY SOURCES, in the General Software Library? Although the title reflects poorly on the depth & breadth of the subject matter, the contents (especially APol-18) may prove useful in your endeavors.

BEST!
SlideRule
(05-08-2020 11:57 PM)SlideRule Wrote: [ -> ]Are you familiar with the HP-25 program Mean, Std. Deviation, 90/95% Confidence Intervals, Mean ± CI (APol-18; pgs. 95-99), in HP-25 PROGRAMMABLE POCKET CALCULATOR APPLIED TO AIR POLLUTION MEASUREMENT STUDIES: STATIONARY SOURCES, in the General Software Library? Although the title poorly reflects on the depth & breadth of the subject matter, the contents (especially APol-18) may prove useful in your endeavors.

BEST!
SlideRule

Thanks for the info!

EDIT: link does not seem to work. Do you have another link?
Yes! Same location, different 'entry'. The original post is updated w/ 'new' link - sorry for any confusion - seems that links from a well-used search engine are site / time / etc. / SPECIFIC. This link is from a cached site, thanks for the heads-up.

BEST!
SlideRule

ps: try HP-25 PROGRAMMABLE POCKET CALCULATOR APPLIED TO AIR POLLUTION MEASUREMENT STUDIES: STATIONARY SOURCES then use the Adobe PDF icon on the right to download.
Great finding SlideRule, very interesting. You are right, titles does not reflect the real content. Pedro
Right, the infoemation about confidense interval is in pg68 of the book, or pg75 in PDF. I check that you are always attentive. Pedro
Reference URL's