HP Forums

Full Version: Sadly I'm a Mechanical Engineer...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
and I can't fix my HP-41CV. It was given to me from my Team Lead who knew I was inadvertently collecting HP calculators. My -41 suffers from bottom post breakage where the screen would show up when you flex it. I went in and "fixed" the post and it doesn't show anything now and the post is broke again. Also have a battery pack that requires some TLC.

I tried a couple of places to see if someone fixed them via Google but I thought I would ask the experts. Who could fix this and is reasonable?

BTW, first time poster and not the first time i hosed up a calc!

Thanks!!!
(04-28-2020 05:57 PM)Klondor36 Wrote: [ -> ]and I can't fix my HP-41CV. It was given to me from my Team Lead who knew I was inadvertently collecting HP calculators. My -41 suffers from bottom post breakage where the screen would show up when you flex it. I went in and "fixed" the post and it doesn't show anything now and the post is broke again. Also have a battery pack that requires some TLC.

I tried a couple of places to see if someone fixed them via Google but I thought I would ask the experts. Who could fix this and is reasonable?

Thanks!!!

Have a look here.

BTW: you should post this kind of questions in the General forum.
(04-28-2020 08:41 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-28-2020 05:57 PM)Klondor36 Wrote: [ -> ]and I can't fix my HP-41CV. It was given to me from my Team Lead who knew I was inadvertently collecting HP calculators. My -41 suffers from bottom post breakage where the screen would show up when you flex it. I went in and "fixed" the post and it doesn't show anything now and the post is broke again. Also have a battery pack that requires some TLC.

Thanks!!!

Have a look here.

Oops. I thought I did. it's in there now I think.

Anyways, I saw this site you're referencing but I thought I would leave it to someone who has done this before. I was looking for a name or website that I could send it to that people have used before to fix it as apparently i'm not good at it.
(04-29-2020 12:53 AM)Klondor36 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-28-2020 08:41 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]Have a look here.

Oops. I thought I did. it's in there now I think.

Anyways, I saw this site you're referencing but I thought I would leave it to someone who has done this before. I was looking for a name or website that I could send it to that people have used before to fix it as apparently i'm not good at it.

I asked to move the thread... ;)

The Calculator Store also (tries to) fix broken hardware; I receive their newsletter and this is an excerpt from the latest:

Quote:If you have repair questions, or you want us to repair your HP41c, please email us to jose@thecalculatorstore.com
(04-29-2020 12:53 AM)Klondor36 Wrote: [ -> ]I was looking for a name or website that I could send it to that people have used before to fix it as apparently i'm not good at it.

I am not a mechanical engineer but a civil engineer so I also couldn't fix it myself Smile

I just sent them my HP-41C for repair and they did a great job.
(04-29-2020 11:00 AM)Moggul Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-29-2020 12:53 AM)Klondor36 Wrote: [ -> ]I was looking for a name or website that I could send it to that people have used before to fix it as apparently i'm not good at it.

I am not a mechanical engineer but a civil engineer so I also couldn't fix it myself Smile

If you don't mind me asking what was the issue with your 41 and approximately how much was the repair?

-Bill
(04-29-2020 11:18 AM)BillBee Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't mind me asking what was the issue with your 41 and approximately how much was the repair?

-Bill

There is a flat fee of €50 for most repairs. Mine had broken lower posts plus a couple other issues. They 3D print many spares too.
(04-29-2020 01:46 PM)Moggul Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-29-2020 11:18 AM)BillBee Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't mind me asking what was the issue with your 41 and approximately how much was the repair?

-Bill

There is a flat fee of €50 for most repairs. Mine had broken lower posts plus a couple other issues. They 3D print many spares too.

Thanks, that seems very reasonable.
You may want to hold off on shipping anything to Europe for repair until the Covid-19 situation calms down. I shipped my DM-42 back to SwissMicros over a month ago and it is still held up somewhere. Others are experiencing similar delays. See the thread below:

https://forum.swissmicros.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2430
Thank's Massimo!
(04-29-2020 01:58 PM)BillBee Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-29-2020 01:46 PM)Moggul Wrote: [ -> ]There is a flat fee of €50 for most repairs. Mine had broken lower posts plus a couple other issues. They 3D print many spares too.

Thanks, that seems very reasonable.

Thanks for the information. $60-65 is very reasonable compared to the $150 -$250 I saw and was quoted. Wish I knew who could fix the battery pack.

Concerning the shipping overseas: How did you send it? USPS? How did you package it?
(04-29-2020 05:08 PM)Klondor36 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank's Massimo!

You're welcome. :)
(04-29-2020 05:13 PM)Klondor36 Wrote: [ -> ]Concerning the shipping overseas: How did you send it? USPS? How did you package it?

I shipped it USPS Priority International. In a USPS Provided Priority Mail Box with my well packed box inside of that. Mailed on 3/14 from Arizona. The tracking info seems to indicate that it may be still in Los Angeles.
(04-29-2020 05:13 PM)Klondor36 Wrote: [ -> ][quote='BillBee' pid='131003' dateline='1588168719']
Wish I knew who could fix the battery pack.

You can fix the battery pack yourself. I fixed mine using just an X-Acto knife, 4 1/3 AAA batteries and some soldering. Use this guide but install 4 1/3 AAA batteries in series instead of the weird ones, wih the same orientation of the original ones.

http://hp41.claughan.com/file/HP41Battery.pdf

Also you can buy a replacement pack from the same site that performs the repairs for 35 €.

https://www.thecalculatorstore.com/epage...er%203D%22
(04-29-2020 08:23 PM)twoweims Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-29-2020 05:13 PM)Klondor36 Wrote: [ -> ]Concerning the shipping overseas: How did you send it? USPS? How did you package it?

I shipped it USPS Priority International. In a USPS Provided Priority Mail Box with my well packed box inside of that. Mailed on 3/14 from Arizona. The tracking info seems to indicate that it may be still in Los Angeles.

If you have a tracking # you might be able to do an online "where's my package" inquiry. Over the past two months I've had to do this for domestic items that were 8-10 days in a "in transit" void that would never end & afterwards they magically would appear moving again.

International I am not sure, but its a thought.

-Bill
(04-29-2020 11:00 AM)Moggul Wrote: [ -> ]

It messed with my self worth there for a while. Then i got better! lol
(04-30-2020 10:05 AM)Moggul Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-29-2020 05:13 PM)Klondor36 Wrote: [ -> ][quote='BillBee' pid='131003' dateline='1588168719']
Wish I knew who could fix the battery pack.

You can fix the battery pack yourself. I fixed mine using just an X-Acto knife, 4 1/3 AAA batteries and some soldering. Use this guide but install 4 1/3 AAA batteries in series instead of the weird ones, wih the same orientation of the original ones.

http://hp41.claughan.com/file/HP41Battery.pdf

Also you can buy a replacement pack from the same site that performs the repairs for 35 €.

https://www.thecalculatorstore.com/epage...er%203D%22

I have quite a bit of corrosion that I believe i can get rid of. I will take it apart and try to see if i can clean it up. I've never seen 1/3 AAA batteries before. I'll have to look at that on Google...

WOW never knew they existed!

If I can't get rid of the corrosion I will just buy a pack.
You can also buy a pack of 4 rechargeables ready to drop in the battery pack as a replacement on ebay. Look for article no. 111929950942
(04-30-2020 02:07 PM)AndiGer Wrote: [ -> ]You can also buy a pack of 4 rechargeables ready to drop in the battery pack as a replacement on ebay. Look for article no. 111929950942

I wish I had known about these when I rebuilt mine
Reference URL's