HP Forums

Full Version: DM42 version 3.0 how to flash update?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks,

I tried updating my DM42 by copying the latest BIN file onto the mounted volume root.

But then after a while I realized that only works for version 3.7 onwards.

How do I get my 3.0 updated to enable the newer method?

The SwissMicro website annoyingly doesn't mention any method for versions prior to 3.7, at least not where I was able to find it.

(I'm hoping the flash update will help with the keys, I really dislike using the DM42 because of the stiff keys but force myself to use it in the hopes of eventually making them softer through wear and tear LOL)

Thanks!
I am on Mac OS X, but can run Linux or Windows via VirtualBox, if necessary.
(10-04-2019 10:47 PM)lemontea Wrote: [ -> ]Hi folks,

I tried updating my DM42 by copying the latest BIN file onto the mounted volume root.

But then after a while I realized that only works for version 3.7 onwards.

How do I get my 3.0 updated to enable the newer method?

The SwissMicro website annoyingly doesn't mention any method for versions prior to 3.7, at least not where I was able to find it.

(I'm hoping the flash update will help with the keys, I really dislike using the DM42 because of the stiff keys but force myself to use it in the hopes of eventually making them softer through wear and tear LOL)

Thanks!
Keep reading past that method. The manual also tells how to use bootloader mode which is what you have to do to upgrade the older firmware. The section you need is called FW Update Using dm_tool or FW Update Using dfu-util
^^^ what he said.

Plus, check out forum.swissmicros.com
Have your tried the command line update procedure ?
DM42 User Manual - FW Update Using dfu-util on macOS
OK thanks very much everyone.

I will go ahead and try these and hope I don't brick it.

I will use the Linux method on my Raspberry Pi as I don't like to install various non-standard things on my OS X main computer. I can just format and get a new OS for the Raspberry if I need to.
Ok everyone, thanks for the tips.

I seem to have successfully flash updated my DM42 and while I was at it, I opened it up to press on the keys (I also used a blowdryer to heat the plastic a little before I flexed them carefully).

Now my DM42 says it's:

DMCP 3.15
DM42 3.14
Free42 2.2

Is this correct?

No need to do the "QSPI flashing" right? Whatever that is.

Thanks.
(10-08-2019 02:37 AM)lemontea Wrote: [ -> ]Ok everyone, thanks for the tips.

I seem to have successfully flash updated my DM42 and while I was at it, I opened it up to press on the keys (I also used a blowdryer to heat the plastic a little before I flexed them carefully).

Now my DM42 says it's:

DMCP 3.15
DM42 3.14
Free42 2.2

Is this correct?

No need to do the "QSPI flashing" right? Whatever that is.

Thanks.

Yes, that's all correct, you have the latest version of everything. And no, there is no need to update the QSPI.

There are lots of interesting and useful programs for the 42S/DM42 here, and also some that are specific to the DM42 (e.g. using graphics, etc.) on the SwissMicros website. Enjoy your machine!
(10-08-2019 02:37 AM)lemontea Wrote: [ -> ]..., I opened it up to press on the keys (I also used a blowdryer to heat the plastic a little before I flexed them carefully).

Did this have the desired effect of making the keys less stiff to press?
(10-08-2019 12:29 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, that's all correct, you have the latest version of everything. And no, there is no need to update the QSPI.

There are lots of interesting and useful programs for the 42S/DM42 here, and also some that are specific to the DM42 (e.g. using graphics, etc.) on the SwissMicros website. Enjoy your machine!

Ok thanks Bob!
(10-08-2019 05:01 PM)Jeff O. Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-08-2019 02:37 AM)lemontea Wrote: [ -> ]..., I opened it up to press on the keys (I also used a blowdryer to heat the plastic a little before I flexed them carefully).

Did this have the desired effect of making the keys less stiff to press?

Hi Jeff, I think so yes, but I think I also need to add a caveat which I didn't see mentioned before, and that is, we need to be mindful just how much we "flex" these keys. After I just pressed them a bit, flush to the keypad surface, I found that some keys were still stiff. So I pressed all of them again, a bit more, and I discovered some were TOO easy to press (just a bit too easy). Actually maybe that's not really the problem. The problem is the differing resistance, since the keys are now sort of non-standardized, with very unscientific flexing across the board (literally).

That's all I would add about it but I think definitely I would flex them again if I purchased another DM42.

(If one is so inclined, I think one could 3D print a bottom "tool" layer to put the keyboard on, with bumps that are "calibrated" to allow only a certain travel distance for the flexing, to make it a bit more of a scientific home-brew solution.)
Reference URL's