HP Forums

Full Version: HP-65 removing label - any advice is welcome
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,
this just came in today,
since the seller hadn't posted any picture showing the battery compartment and the working
status was declared "unknown" we were not so sure to buy it, but you know ...
It ended up as you can see, very clean, and working Smile
We would like to open it and check the card reader status, the enclosed standard pac looks
like it has never been used, but there are some recorded cards, it surely will need some care.
Given that it has never been opened we would like to remove the label causing the least possible damage ...
Can anyone give us an advice ?
Thanks in advance for any idea you would like to share ....

HP-65 1333A10040 (actual status pictures)
I used a heat gun.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-46...l#pid41414

Dave

Edit: I might add that the donor label was removed without damaging the adhesive. So in order to reattach the label I simply "reactivated" the adhesive with a little isopropyl alcohol.
Hi Dave,
thank you very much, please consider that inside there is a logic board,
how can we be sure to not damage it ?
Also, reading the thread I have seen mentioned that a big improvement was the use
of "Kapton tape", what was this about ?
thanks again for help !
Hi Alberto,

The label adhesive will be softened long before the logic board could be damaged.

Kapton is the clear brown tape masking the label in the pic. It's heat resistant and protects the area of the case not covered by the label. You can find it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.it/s?k=kapton&__mk_it..._sb_noss_1

Dave
Hi Dave, thanks for your reply !!
will it soften that much ?
How much time you need to heat the label and to what temperature (if you have that info on your gun) to get that result ?
We also have a heater gun but I can't remember if temperature is fixed or not,
I had bought it to remove old paint ...
Is the tape necessary ? we would love to do it over the weekend and Amazon will ship it on tuesday ...
thanks again Alberto
(09-27-2019 03:21 PM)albertofenini Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Dave, thanks for your reply !!
will it soften that much ?

The adhesive will soften enough that you can gently lift one of the corners. I used a large x-acto blade with a rounded tip. Then it's a matter of directing the heat gun under the label and slowly peeling it off as the adhesive softens.

Quote:How much time you need to heat the label and to what temperature (if you have that info on your gun) to get that result ?

Not hot enough to burn your hand. Start at a temp that feels hot to your hand and slowly heat up the label.

Quote:Is the tape necessary ? we would love to do it over the weekend and Amazon will ship it on tuesday ...

The Kapton tape is insurance that you won't damage the plastic with the heat gun. If the heat is low enough to not burn your hand then it probably won't hurt the plastic. Don't quote me on that. I tend to lean toward the safe side so I used the tape, and I had it around.

Dave
See an old thread using heptane (you can search the hpmuseum site for "un-do" as well) which you can't buy here in Germany due to safety reasons. Sad
See post #4: if your only intention is to get inside the calculator it is suggested don't remove the whole label.
https://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap...ead=104379
I also find it reasonable not to re-screw the two screws underneath the label.
I usually replace the labels with after market replacements anyway, so I don't bother too much about removing the old label intact. And when putting new label on, I never put screws under the label. I also put a small label inside the battery compartment indicating there are no screws under the label, just in case someone wants to open it up again.

Cheers,
John
(10-01-2019 05:20 AM)Johnboy Wrote: [ -> ]I usually replace the labels with after market replacements anyway, so I don't bother too much about removing the old label intact. And when putting new label on, I never put screws under the label. I also put a small label inside the battery compartment indicating there are no screws under the label, just in case someone wants to open it up again.

I can confirm that. There's such a label in the battery compartment of the '67 I bought off you Smile
(10-01-2019 05:20 AM)Johnboy Wrote: [ -> ]I usually replace the labels with after market replacements anyway, so I don't bother too much about removing the old label intact. And when putting new label on, I never put screws under the label. I also put a small label inside the battery compartment indicating there are no screws under the label, just in case someone wants to open it up again.

Do you keep the screws, or are they pretty standard screws?
Reference URL's