HP Forums

Full Version: HP65 card reader balls
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had a close call today. I dropped one of those clear 3mm diameter balls used inside the card reader to sense the card position. Luckily I have a daughter with eyes 30 years younger than mine and she actually found it!

But, it seems to me the chances of this happening again ( card reader *still* not working ) is pretty high. Does anyone know a good substitute for these guys? I was thinking of dollar shop beads or maybe nylon beads from a fishing shop.

Thanks.
Eureka! Found some 3mm polypropylene solid plastic balls on eBay.

Now just don't drop the tiny plastic cylindrical roller thingy!
If you had lost that ball then you could change the subject of this topic with just a bit of punctuation and it would still make sense Smile

HP65 card reader. Balls!
(08-15-2019 07:33 AM)NoEqualsButton Wrote: [ -> ]Eureka! Found some 3mm polypropylene solid plastic balls on eBay.

Could you share the link so that future folks seeking lost balls (ahem...) will know which ones can be used. There is no problem with including eBay links in a post as long it is not something you are selling, and it's helpful to the community. Of course it's best to confirm they work before listing, no need to promote the wrong items.

This will be a very useful resource as far more people lose these attempting card reader repairs than will admit it... So thanks for the search and sharing.
(08-15-2019 12:57 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Could you share the link so that future folks seeking lost balls (ahem...) will know which ones can be used.

This, maybe?
(08-15-2019 06:34 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-15-2019 12:57 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Could you share the link so that future folks seeking lost balls (ahem...) will know which ones can be used.

This, maybe?

I found that too (plus several others) but didn't want to post it until it's confirmed they work, hoping the OP could confirm so since he has CR apart. Those CR balls always looked smaller than 3mm to me, so wasn't sure if this is the right size.
(08-15-2019 06:34 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]This, maybe?

Yep! They're the ones I ordered all right. If they work out I'll let you guys know. I'll have like 300 of these little suckers so if anybody needs 'em, I'll have them.

Steve
(08-15-2019 11:43 PM)NoEqualsButton Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-15-2019 06:34 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]This, maybe?

Yep! They're the ones I ordered all right. If they work out I'll let you guys know. I'll have like 300 of these little suckers so if anybody needs 'em, I'll have them.

Steve

Thanks Steve, that's just the kind of attitude that makes this such a great place!
I remember me and my wife crawling on the floor searching for one of these balls more than once. At some point I decided to buy a few, based on the following discussion:

HP 97 Card Reader Repair - Those little white balls

As Katie Wasserman wrote there, they are 1/8" nylon balls. 3mm is very close to 1/8" so I'd expect they fit.
(08-15-2019 07:33 AM)NoEqualsButton Wrote: [ -> ]Eureka! Found some 3mm polypropylene solid plastic balls on eBay.

The actual size should be 1/8". The 3mm will probably work but if you want the actual size, try here:

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a...VIQAvD_BwE
(08-16-2019 12:10 PM)toml_12953 Wrote: [ -> ]The actual size should be 1/8". The 3mm will probably work but if you want the actual size, try here:

1/8th inch = 3.175 mm

Godammit! Imperial balls are bigger than metric balls! Somebody call Mel Brooks, there's an idea for a Spaceballs sequel in there somewhere.
(08-17-2019 12:28 AM)NoEqualsButton Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-16-2019 12:10 PM)toml_12953 Wrote: [ -> ]The actual size should be 1/8". The 3mm will probably work but if you want the actual size, try here:

1/8th inch = 3.175 mm

Godammit! Imperial balls are bigger than metric balls! Somebody call Mel Brooks, there's an idea for a Spaceballs sequel in there somewhere.

Great post for a Friday night! Thanks for that!
(08-17-2019 12:28 AM)NoEqualsButton Wrote: [ -> ]1/8th inch = 3.175 mm

I loved Spaceballs. I got excited when a rumor went around that there'd be a sequel. That's all it was, though. Just a rumor. Sad
(08-17-2019 12:28 AM)NoEqualsButton Wrote: [ -> ]1/8th inch = 3.175 mm

Napoleon Bonaparte's balls were both imperial and metric at the same time!
Reference URL's