HP Forums

Full Version: Slide rules still commercially available?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My wife's a teacher, and brought up those old EZ Grader special-purpose grading slide rules that teachers always seemed to have. I made her a quick and dirty iPad rendition in Numbers (would have been Lotus, but she doesn't use an LX), and then went hunting around and found they're still commercially available!

http://www.ezgrader.com

Are there any other companies still commercially producing some form of slide rules/cardboard "computers"? I'm guessing they'd all be pretty special-purpose, much like the EZ Grader products.
E6B aviation circular slide rules for time-speed-distance
and wind vector problems. It's still expected
to have some facility with them in most ground
school curriculum
Concise, Co., Ltd. is still making them. (This is from my slide-rule links at the bottom of my slide-rule page.)
(05-17-2014 12:23 AM)Dave Britten Wrote: [ -> ]My wife's a teacher, and brought up those old EZ Grader special-purpose grading slide rules that teachers always seemed to have. I made her a quick and dirty iPad rendition in Numbers (would have been Lotus, but she doesn't use an LX), and then went hunting around and found they're still commercially available!

http://www.ezgrader.com

Are there any other companies still commercially producing some form of slide rules/cardboard "computers"? I'm guessing they'd all be pretty special-purpose, much like the EZ Grader products.

Last year I bought a Faber-Castell 2/83N direct from Germany -- brand new, top-of-the-line with a huge number of scales on it. It ran about 80 euros as I recall, including shipment to Australia. My brother-in-law liked it so much that I bought him one for Christmas...
Also, quite a few watches (typically, but not always mechanical) have a C scale on a rotating bezel, and a D scale on the face.
Hi Dave,
In first place, I wish You a fast recovery!

Apparently Faber-Castell distribution channels here in Portugal are not advertizing slide rulers anymore, but I found this site that does, despite the high asking prices!
Unfortunately the collectors have overrun the slide rule market and getting a good one to actually use is now an exercise in bidding, hair-pulling, etc.

There are some sites with good inventories, but expect to pay an arm and a leg.
(05-18-2014 10:20 AM)HP67 Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately the collectors have overrun the slide rule market and getting a good one to actually use is now an exercise in bidding, hair-pulling, etc.

There are some sites with good inventories, but expect to pay an arm and a leg.

That's a bummer. I've got a couple slide rules, though nothing remarkable. At least one of them is a Pickett. I find these special-purpose cardboard "slide rules" rather interesting, for whatever reason.

On a related note, anybody know where to snag one of those CARDIAC cardboard "computers"? It's like part digital computer, part slide rule. It's more an educational aid than an actual tool. I recall there being some NOS available maybe a few years ago.
(05-17-2014 11:57 AM)jebem Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Dave,
In first place, I wish You a fast recovery!

Apparently Faber-Castell distribution channels here in Portugal are not advertizing slide rulers anymore, but I found this site that does, despite the high asking prices!

Yep, that's the one. They appear to have a reasonable inventory and the merchandise is brand new (may be old stock).
Oh man, so man lovely specimens in this thread that I want to start throwing money at.
When I hear "special purpose calculation" and cardboard, nomograms are just what comes to mind. While they lack the satisfying feel of a slide rule or an HP keyboard, they do distill a lot of information onto a page. They can seem magical, in the same sense a slide rule seems magical to someone who doesn't know about logarithms.
THIS IS WILD!!!! Without even looking at this board, I was just pondering if, outside of auction sites, slide rules were even being manufactured or sold. Wow!!!
Reference URL's