HP Forums

Full Version: Solving a non-linear, non-polynomial system of equations -- SOLVED
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I'm in the process of familiarizing myself with my new Prime. I'm very familiar with the HP42/DM42 and especially with the HP50G.

I think the Prime is an extremely powerful calculator, and am enjoying the learning curve. It amazes me how fast it is, and if I go back to the 50G, I find myself continuously tapping at its screen :-)

However, I'm still confused about how to do certain things on the Prime, one of them being solving multiple non-linear equations.

Let's suppose I have the following system:
(X/Y)^Z = 1/8
2^X/3^Y=4/Z^4
X*Y/Z=8/3

On the HP50g, I just use the equation writer to place all 3 equations on the stack, then create an array with them. I then create an array with [X Y Z] and another with my initial guesses [1 1 1]. I go to NUM.SLV-->MSLV and then get an array with 2, 4 and 3 as the answers.

On the Prime, I go into CAS mode, then I define:
EQ1:=((x/y)^z) = 1/8
EQ2:=(2^x/3^y) = 4/z^4
EQ3:=(x*y/z) = 8/3

Then I type:
L0:=solve({EQ1,EQ2,EQ3},{x,y,z})

And I get the following error:
{"[x,2^x] is not rational w.r.t. x Error: Bad Argument Value"}

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for reading!!

EDIT
===
OK, I found what I was doing wrong!! I forgot to provide the guesses. My mistake; my apologies for asking dumb questions.
Got it to work with:
L0:=solve({EQ1,EQ2,EQ3},{x,y,z},{1,1,1})

Moderators: please delete this post....
(05-05-2019 07:38 PM)rrpalma Wrote: [ -> ]Moderators: please delete this post....

Nah... leave it here; you're answer will help someone in the future looking for info about the same problem. So thanks for posting the answer you found for yourself; most folks simply don't come back to update the question with the answer.
Reference URL's