HP Forums

Full Version: New HP39gs defective?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I just got an HP-39gs from Aliexpress for cheap, seems to work OK, but when on, I see a second line across the screen (in addition to the one seen in the NUM mode). See the pic attached.

Is this normal, or did I get a lemon on Aliexpress?

Thanks
PP
Hello!

(04-24-2019 03:47 PM)ProudPagan Wrote: [ -> ]Is this normal...

No! There should be no line. If you got this offer here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Graphics...ae868d6-18

it says down in the text part: "we will test them strictly before shipping." Obviously not... But at 17.50$ (we collectors of vintage HP calculators usually have to pay more than that for a decent set of manuals alone...) it is probably cheaper and easier to order a new one than to go through the hassle of sending it back.

Regards
Max
(04-24-2019 04:49 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote: [ -> ]t says down in the text part: "we will test them strictly before shipping." Obviously not... But at 17.50$ (we collectors of vintage HP calculators usually have to pay more than that for a decent set of manuals alone...) it is probably cheaper and easier to order a new one than to go through the hassle of sending it back.
Well, I'd still contact them and send them the picture. They might just send you another.
I left the batteries in there, and after about an hour, the line is gone!

Weird, but I am not complaining :-)

Yeah, 17USD for this stuff is unbelievable! We spend that much locally for a non-graphing Casio FX-991EX.
Perhaps you missed it, but there was discussion recently on another thread that wandered into mention of a nice aplet for the 39gs & 40gs that makes it work as a proper RPM calculator.

I installed it on my own "el cheapo out of Red China" 39gs and indeed it works great. Very nice!
Post #6 has both the aplet and the final (?) instructions. Give it a shot.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9461.html
Reference URL's