HP Forums

Full Version: Can we install a CAS in the HP 39gII?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As the title says.

I think this is a superb calculator, fast, nice display, etc, etc.

As it has 80 Mb of flash memory, I thought a CAS would be a nice touch in this calculator.

What do you think?

XCAS, Eigenmath, khicas or whatever, is it possible?

TIA

JL

Edit: I mean a legal installation, of course
Side question: is the 39 gII as updated as the prime?
(01-31-2019 05:41 PM)pier4r Wrote: [ -> ]Side question: is the 39 gII as updated as the prime?

Yes

Edit. I think I misunderstood your question.

1 - The 39gII is upgradable as the prime, with a connective kit, but a different one

2- the 39gII is not updated in many years, I think the last update was in 2014, but not sure.

Sorry, English is not my native language.
It was also quite buggy, and (from what I understand) the support for it's development departed before the calculator was ready for prime time (no pun intended).

It would have been a great non CAS calculator if it had been able to be supported through it's release time and beyond.
(01-31-2019 06:05 PM)lrdheat Wrote: [ -> ]It was also quite buggy, and (from what I understand) the support for it's development departed before the calculator was ready for prime time (no pun intended).

It would have been a great non CAS calculator if it had been able to be supported through it's release time and beyond.

What a pitty.

I hope there's some way to port a CAS in it.
(01-31-2019 08:25 PM)Jlouis Wrote: [ -> ]I hope there's some way to port a CAS in it.

Officially, no. Unofficially...

Let's just say an opportunity was missed. I'm not sure if I can say more than that though, but if it was OK for it to see the light of day then it would've been out there a long time ago.

So don't hold your breath.
(01-31-2019 09:17 PM)Jean-Baptiste Boric Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2019 08:25 PM)Jlouis Wrote: [ -> ]I hope there's some way to port a CAS in it.

Officially, no. Unofficially...

Let's just say an opportunity was missed. I'm not sure if I can say more than that though, but if it was OK for it to see the light of day then it would've been out there a long time ago.

So don't hold your breath.

Yes, of course unofficially...but I understand that a tentative was made..and was not spread (at least here), but why HP would bother about that?
I assume because intellectual property is a thing and playing fast and loose with NDAs has risks and consequences, so it collects dust in a desk drawer.
(01-31-2019 10:39 PM)Jean-Baptiste Boric Wrote: [ -> ]I assume because intellectual property is a thing and playing fast and loose with NDAs has risks and consequences, so it collects dust in a desk drawer.

Ok, what a pitty,

Thanks for the answer.

Cheers

JL
Hello,

The 39GII actually DOES have the cas in it. It is there as it is/was used for nearly all the computing (at the begining) and then relegated to just some functions (when the PPL system was introduced)...

One issue with the 39GII is the very small amount of RAM. 512KB. And the fact that the program has to reside in RAM. Using the virtual memory system.
At the end of the day, 256KB are reserved for executable, leaving only 256KB of RAM to run. But most of that is already used by the system :-( leaving around 100KB for anything to run... And this is VERY limiting for the CAS.....

The 39GII had a great architecture for a low cost machine as the CPU had the RAM build in. But it was too limited, AND the CPU manufacturer was purchased by some other company that dropped all support for the chip... These things together are what killed it...

However, it was the base for HP Prime which does integrate all that the 39 was, and some more. Adds the CAS and is a general great machine.

Cyrille
Reference URL's