HP Forums

Full Version: Your Favourite Third Party book?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For HP Calcs is? And Why?
SYNTHETIC PROGRAMMING
ON THE HP-41C
by
W.C. Wickes

Because it's the only one I have.
Hp 48 Insights: 1. Principles and Programming of the Hp 48 by William C. Wickes

Because it provides in-depth, rare insights into the design of RPL and I really like Mr. Wickes writing style.
There are so many good ones. Three that I have and really like are "Extend Your HP-41" by Mier-Jedrzejowicz, "HP-41 HP-IL System Dictionary" by Cary E Reinstein, and the ZENROM manual. Actually, many modules' manuals would qualify. I understand the CCD ROM manual is one of these, and I've downloaded three manuals by Angel that are absolutely outstanding!
"Algorithms for RPN Calculators", by John A. Ball.

Copyright 1978.

Although this book is not 'just' about HP calculators since it does mention the Novus Mathematician, Novus Scientist, and the Corvus 500, all of the examples pertain to some HP model like the HP-45. This book has a wealth of info (and RPN routines), especially on numerical integration methods, including the 3-point Gaussian Quadrature algorithm.

Jeff K
Hello,
My favorites are the Grapevine publications written by Coffin and others. I was able to find all the 'an easy course programming' for hp11c-hp15c, hp41, hp48. In particular for the hp48 i also have the 'hp48 graphics' by Ray Depew which initiated me to graphics programming and the last i bought were other Coffin books for the hp48 regarding calculus...

I never travel without one of them...

Thanks

Giancarlo
"Calculator Calculus" by George McCarty, for 4 reasons: (1) It was a gift from my brother Jim who introduced me to HP programmable calculators in the first place; (2) It introduced me to many cool math tricks & tips in clear and simple language; (3) George McCarty was co-founder of EduCALC with Jim Carter; and (4) I took Prof. McCarty's Statistics course at UCI.
I'll vote for Quantitative Analysis for Business

for obvious reasons. :-)

lol
(05-02-2014 07:23 PM)John W Kercheval Wrote: [ -> ]For HP Calcs is? And Why?

John,

Why don't YOU tell us what YOUR favorite is and why?

Bill
My favorite book is Computational analysis with the HP-25 pocket calculator by the late Professor Peter Henrici. This books really pushes the HP-25 to its limits. Henrici worked with his wife to do an HP-33E version, but never did one for the HP-67 or the HP-41C. Such books would have sold like crazy!

Namir
I'll vote for Geoff Quickfall's book...whenever he finishes it. :-)
(05-04-2014 02:56 AM)John R Wrote: [ -> ]I'll vote for Geoff Quickfall's book...whenever he finishes it. :-)
i second that.
(05-04-2014 03:22 AM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2014 02:56 AM)John R Wrote: [ -> ]I'll vote for Geoff Quickfall's book...whenever he finishes it. :-)
i second that.

And I third that!
In addition to ones already named:

Take a Chance With Your Calculator by Lennart Rade. A fun little book on probability (and simulation and Monte Carlo analysis) with programs for the HP-25.

Calculus by Calculator by Maurice Weir. The programs in it are for the TI-59 but adapt relatively easily to most HP calculators.

PPC ROM User's Manual. Do I need to say anything about it?
(05-04-2014 06:37 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2014 03:22 AM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote: [ -> ]i second that.

And I third that!

So I can only fourth it. May the force (pun intended) be with him on his last steps.

d;-)
(05-04-2014 01:49 AM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2014 07:23 PM)John W Kercheval Wrote: [ -> ]For HP Calcs is? And Why?

John,

Why don't YOU tell us what YOUR favorite is and why?

Bill

Pssst - because he thinks the amount of threads he created will be counted to erase his 'junior' status quickly. But don't you tell him otherwise ...

d;-)
My fav is "Synthetic Programming Made Easy." Just because it let you do a bunch of cool stuff with the 41.

The most useful is that two set of pink books for the 48, but I do not recall the name. I will be going through my storage units and reviving my HP equipment which is the driver for why I re-joined this forum.
(05-04-2014 09:46 AM)John W Kercheval Wrote: [ -> ]The most useful is that two set of pink books for the 48, but I do not recall the name. I will be going through my storage units and reviving my HP equipment which is the driver for why I re-joined this forum.

That would probably be Hp 48 Insights: I and II by William C. Wickes which was my favorite above.

http://www.amazon.com/Hp-48-Insights-Pri...549&sr=1-1
(05-04-2014 07:59 AM)walter b Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2014 06:37 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]And I third that!

So I can only fourth it. May the force (pun intended) be with him on his last steps.

d;-)

I fifth, so, like third member of the mother's-in law club Smile
(05-02-2014 09:39 PM)Thomas Klemm Wrote: [ -> ]SYNTHETIC PROGRAMMING
ON THE HP-41C
by
W.C. Wickes

Because it's the only one I have.

This is the best answer given, up to now, terrific I can say, sorry it came at the beginning of the discussion, should be the best to "close" this post
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's