HP Forums

Full Version: HP-32E metallic battery clip missing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

in my HP-32E (spice series) the "metallic battery clip" that holds together
two AA batteries and connects them to create 3V/2.4V is missing.

Instead of combining two AA cells with tape and aluminium foil
(thus simulating an HP-82109A pack) I would prefer this more
elegant "metallic battery clip" solution.

What is the correct technical term of this "metallic battery clip" ?
Is there a part-number for it ?
Does anyone has a source for it ?

Best Carsten
(12-30-2018 08:33 PM)tuxfish Wrote: [ -> ]in my HP-32E (spice series) the "metallic battery clip" that holds together
two AA batteries and connects them to create 3V/2.4V is missing.

Instead of combining two AA cells with tape and aluminium foil
(thus simulating an HP-82109A pack) I would prefer this more
elegant "metallic battery clip" solution.

As far as I remember the original battery pack is not just two standard off-the-shelf AA cells plus the mentioned metal clip. So I doubt that this clip can be obtained separately.

For the Spice calculators you usually get a replacement battery pack – these should be available on the common auction platforms – or you get two flat-top NiMH AA-cells with solder tabs, or even better a complete finished two-cell battery pack already welded together.

Or do you want to use the 32E with standard non-rechargeable alkaline batteries? They may not fit due to the protuding button top contacts at the "+" end.

But there are also battery types that will fit. Personally, I use by 34C (same series, same battery pack) with two Sanyo / Panasonic Eneloop cells that fit nicely into the battery compartement. The contact between the cells is done with a folded strip of aluninum foil. A thin piece of metal may work as well. The capacity is about four times (!) that of the original NiCd pack, and the two Eneloops can be safely (and quickly) charged in an external smart charger. There also is virtually no self discharge, which is very nice if the calculator is not used for several months.

This topic has been discussed here before, for instance in this thread.

Dieter
Hi,
thanks for pointing me to this highly informative thread "HP-34C external battery charging", I had overlooked before.
I absorbed every bit Smile
Among other: this USB-cable to charge the classic series is purely amazing ...

Yes indeed, since high school days I have powered my first HP-32E with yellow OEM batteries from a swedish furniture store (still working strong @work).
In light of the new information gathered here, I might have been unknowingly lucky ...

Well, I ordered
a replacement battery pack in US,
flat-top NiMH AA-cells locally which are shorter than normal AA
and will give the Eneloop cells a try (were great in Wiimote).

Nonetheless I will continue to hound for this "metallic battery clip" *grin* ...

BTW the spice emulators on Panamatik's site are fantastic (work with WINE as well).

Best & HNY Carsten
Hi,

the outcome of my test run:

replacement battery pack (same size as original HP-82109A pack)
OR flat-top NiMH AA-cells with "metallic battery clip" work fine. ✔

1.2-volt low self-discharge NiMH rechargeable batteries are too long
& put too much pressure on the electrical pins.

Carsten (still searching for these "metallic battery clips")
(01-15-2019 04:51 PM)tuxfish Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

the outcome of my test run:

replacement battery pack (same size as original HP-82109A pack)
OR flat-top NiMH AA-cells with "metallic battery clip" work fine. ✔

1.2-volt low self-discharge NiMH rechargeable batteries are too long
& put too much pressure on the electrical pins.

Carsten (still searching for these "metallic battery clips")

There were actually 2 quite different types of Spice series battery holders; the thin flexible sheet metal clip (which I assume you are referring to here) and also a black plastic stiff frame with battery contacts in the far end (opposite the batter contacts). To hold 2 AA cells, one needs to wrap the frame with tape after inserting the cells into the frame.

Just wanted to let you know there are 2 types you can use (both are 'original') which may make it easier to locate one.

Does anyone know which type is older? I'd guess the black plastic was the original style used, eventually replaced with the sheet metal style, or perhaps one is from the USA and the other from the Singapore factories?

Edit to add: Never try to use 'normal' AA cells with button tops as these are too tall and nearly always bend or break off the battery tabs in the battery bay. Look for "flat top" AA cells, or use the pre-made battery packs available from eBay and other sites.
Reference URL's